vladtepes

1,000 Yards... what is involved...

Well....

As you know, the answers are all pretty dependent on what he is trying to accomplish.  Any of the modern/fast 6's or 6'5's will do the trick.  It can be done with an 18" .308, of course, but it's gonna be more difficult than doing it with a 26" 6.5Creedmoor.  
Optics... Take your pick.  If he's looking to bang steel on the cheap and give himself a little challenge, an SWFA fixed 10 will do the job.  If he's looking to shoot groups, he's gonna need better glass with more mag.  Vortex Viper PST in 5-25 is a very versatile optic that will do the job and do it at a reasonable price point.  Don't be afraid of buying used and letting someone else take the depreciation hit.  
Gun...  Any reasonably well built semi or bolt will tag steel.  More precision costs more money.  Savage 10 or 12, Remington 700; those would be my go to recommendations for aftermarket support and salability if it's not his game.

Feel free to send a PM if you like.    

• Like 1

First, the closet two 1,000 Ranges are the Reade Range in Fallen Timbers Pa and the Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol Club in Delaware. 

Now to answer your question:

You need a rifle  that  can fire a round and keep it supersonic at 1k Yards ( Above 1050 FPS ).

I have shot a 1,000 using a Vortex Razor Gen II 3×18 

I am currently using a Nightforce Competition 15×55

I shoot a .308 with a 30" Bartlein barrel. I use 200gr Berger Hybrid with 44.1 grains of Varget. 

20190622_110310.jpg

Resized_20180627_052428.jpeg

My 6.5CM RPR with Nightforce scope will hit 1000 no sweat. Unfortunately Ive only been to a range that size once. If people want to plan a meet up somewhere I would be game. You're co worker would be welcome to try out my rifle. 

On 11/11/2019 at 6:23 PM, NJSigfan said:

I’m open.  I recently joined Bridgetown gun club in PA.  It’s nothing fancy but has a 200 yard range.   If you know a longer range, I can travel to you.

There was talk a year ago that they where working on a longer range than that -- Is that now dead? 

I was thinking of joining Bridgeton myself, especially if they made the longer rifle range.

On 10/31/2019 at 9:10 PM, Iggyort said:

First, the closet two 1,000 Ranges are the Reade Range in Fallen Timbers Pa and the Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol Club in Delaware. 

Now to answer your question:

You need a rifle  that  can fire a round and keep it supersonic at 1k Yards ( Above 1050 FPS ).

I have shot a 1,000 using a Vortex Razor Gen II 3×18 

I am currently using a Nightforce Competition 15×55

I shoot a .308 with a 30" Bartlein barrel. I use 200gr Berger Hybrid with 44.1 grains of Varget. 

20190622_110310.jpg

Resized_20180627_052428.jpeg

Not quite.  Sheepdog Warrior in Catskill is there too, for North Jersey guys it is even closer.

Beyond that, @vladtepes and now many members here are residents of PA. =)  There are plenty of farms around and now that the fields are done... they are shooting ranges. 

8 hours ago, Maksim said:

Not quite.  Sheepdog Warrior in Catskill is there too, for North Jersey guys it is even closer.

Beyond that, @vladtepes and now many members here are residents of PA. =)  There are plenty of farms around and now that the fields are done... they are shooting ranges. 

Sheepdog Warrior would be nice, but will Commie Cuomo & NY allow semi auto ARs in their state or just bolt guns for us NJ folks?

8 hours ago, Maksim said:

You are correct Maks.. I have family with adjacent property that holds over 100 acres.. part of which terminates into a mountain side.. or natural backstop.. no fancy range required 

55 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

You are correct Maks.. I have family with adjacent property that holds over 100 acres.. part of which terminates into a mountain side.. or natural backstop.. no fancy range required 

well let's roll!

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

There was talk a year ago that they where working on a longer range than that -- Is that now dead? 

I was thinking of joining Bridgeton myself, especially if they made the longer rifle range.

@Heavyopp the 400 yard range is still on the table.  It’s fully funded and they have it marked out, but they needed to wait out the soggy ground.  Guessing with winter coming and the ground freezing they’ll be able to get the dirt delivered soon.

13 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

@Heavyopp the 400 yard range is still on the table.  It’s fully funded and they have it marked out, but they needed to wait out the soggy ground.  Guessing with winter coming and the ground freezing they’ll be able to get the dirt delivered soon.

Yea, Heard that over a year ago, straight from the president of the clubs mouth, forgot his name 

I'll probably revisit bridgeton this winter, go to a meeting, and see whats up -- thanks for the info

I do believe there are some Pa Wildlife management areas with longer ranges in the area, Being NJ residents we would need to buy a yearly "range pass" -- not very expensive 

I am chiming in late but anyway.....  Some of the answers are jumping out a bit.  You can't just gear up and hit the 1000  range. 

These are the basics for me. Get a good zero at 100. Get a ballistics chart for the ammo you shot. Then  shoot 300. Then try an F Class at 600. Then work on 1000.

You need a good scope with enough clicks to get to 1000. This gets expensive.

I have done 600 so far and that was not a  big deal. Except my scope was good only to about 850 yards. I even had a 10 moa biased rail which was not enough.  The new  scope cost about $550. (List $700.)  

You can find 300 at South Jersey RPC  and Central Jersey RPC.  F Class  600  at Cumberland, Millville, NJ. 

I will probably take a spring/summer trip to PA or WV to shoot 1000. 

That is all. 

You guys should get your sh!t together at 300 over the winter to prepare for the first 600 prone match at Cumberland in the spring.

Opening weekend in Millville is April 4/5, 2020. Saturday is 200/300/600 cross-the-course. Sunday is 600 mid-range prone (sling) and F-class (rest)

Come out to SJSC (Winslow Twp, Camden County) for 300 prone Frozen Nutz to practice. Matches are Sunday 12/1/19, 1/5/20, 2/2/20, and 3/1/20.  Since we are limited to 3 relays (it starts to get dark) you MUST pre-register during the week preceding the match.

Easy to do - just PM me here - I'm the guy that squads the match.

9 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

You guys should get your sh!t together at 300 over the winter to prepare for the first 600 prone match at Cumberland in the spring.

Opening weekend in Millville is April 4/5, 2020. Saturday is 200/300/600 cross-the-course. Sunday is 600 mid-range prone (sling) and F-class (rest)

Come out to SJSC (Winslow Twp, Camden County) for 300 prone Frozen Nutz to practice. Matches are Sunday 12/1/19, 1/5/20, 2/2/20, and 3/1/20.  Since we are limited to 3 relays (it starts to get dark) you MUST pre-register during the week preceding the match.

Easy to do - just PM me here - I'm the guy that squads the match.

may do this

300 is easy but have never done a match like this

50 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@Bully and @Iggyort are your spirit animaniacs 

?  not following

46 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Match bulletin is attached here

Don't forget to pre-register to save yourself a spot on the line

FN2019_20.pdf 64.7 kB · 2 downloads

I'll pm you the week preceeding.  I definitely want to do this and looks like fun.