vladtepes

1,000 Yards... what is involved...

10 hours ago, almiz111 said:

I am chiming in late but anyway.....  Some of the answers are jumping out a bit.  You can't just gear up and hit the 1000  range. 

These are the basics for me. Get a good zero at 100. Get a ballistics chart for the ammo you shot. Then  shoot 300. Then try an F Class at 600. Then work on 1000.

You need a good scope with enough clicks to get to 1000. This gets expensive.

I have done 600 so far and that was not a  big deal. Except my scope was good only to about 850 yards. I even had a 10 moa biased rail which was not enough.  The new  scope cost about $550. (List $700.)  

You can find 300 at South Jersey RPC  and Central Jersey RPC.  F Class  600  at Cumberland, Millville, NJ. 

I will probably take a spring/summer trip to PA or WV to shoot 1000. 

That is all. 

I think you bring up some good points.

Having a gun/scope/ammo combination that's capable of shooting 1 moa groups is very important, but it's even more important that the shooter can keep 1 moa groups. 

To do that you need to practice a lot.  100 yards, 300 yards, etc., etc...

Just now, almiz111 said:

I am not being a wise ass but 300 is easy??  So you shoot 595 / 600 without a rest?

Seriously how do you define 'easy'  in a 300 match?  I am only looking for help with my shooting.

Thanks.

he said sling or rest.  popping your rig in a rest and shooting moa at 300 (provided you've got the hardware) is not difficult.  Hell, my 12yr old son was knocking the $hit out of a 6" gong on the berm at sjrpc which is 330.

no, not difficult and it shouldn't be for anyone as 300 is the minimum distance one should be proficient in

2 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

he said sling or rest.  popping your rig in a rest and shooting moa at 300 (provided you've got the hardware) is not difficult.  Hell, my 12yr old son was knocking the $hit out of a 6" gong on the berm at sjrpc which is 330.

no, not difficult and it shouldn't be for anyone as 300 is the minimum distance one should be proficient in

No arguments. You are correct. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, almiz111 said:

No arguments. You are correct. Thanks.

I readily admit to not being a long range shooter and would really like to get into that more.  I dabbled in MO but in NJ it's not easy obviously.

My dad was a DI when I was younger.  By the time I was 10 I could field strip an AR and had shot everything they had at Ft Dix so I learned early on.  I teach my sons the same way I was taught and that is controlled breathing, finger position and pull, rifle adjustment in the 'pocket', irons until proficient and then add in windage parameters regardless of if wind or not so they learn.  I think my 10yr old will be the best of the house as he is freaking deadly with his 452.  We shoot in the long pits and I have them prone on mats or sit position shooting spent shotgun shells from 25 and 50yds.  This winter they are building their first ARs with me so aside from skiing on weekends, we'll still have some 'gun fun' time  lol

if you ever want to join me there, please come and we'll make day or half day of it

11 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I readily admit to not being a long range shooter and would really like to get into that more.  I dabbled in MO but in NJ it's not easy obviously.

My dad was a DI when I was younger.  By the time I was 10 I could field strip an AR and had shot everything they had at Ft Dix so I learned early on.  I teach my sons the same way I was taught and that is controlled breathing, finger position and pull, rifle adjustment in the 'pocket', irons until proficient and then add in windage parameters regardless of if wind or not so they learn.  I think my 10yr old will be the best of the house as he is freaking deadly with his 452.  We shoot in the long pits and I have them prone on mats or sit position shooting spent shotgun shells from 25 and 50yds.  This winter they are building their first ARs with me so aside from skiing on weekends, we'll still have some 'gun fun' time  lol

if you ever want to join me there, please come and we'll make day or half day of it

The 'long pits' are at Central Jersey? Not familiar.  I do know John Donald there. I shoot his 300  Any Rifle and have done some Hi Power. 

On 11/20/2019 at 9:15 PM, almiz111 said:

The 'long pits' are at Central Jersey? Not familiar.  I do know John Donald there. I shoot his 300  Any Rifle and have done some Hi Power. 

sorry just saw this

when you pull in, the two pistol caliber pits on the far left near the bow area.  they are the 'long pits'' for non-rifle caliber.  Next time you go let me know and I'll meet up with you!