115grfmj

Hi point 995ts (with threaded barrel) legal?

Hello all! Long time lurker....first time poster, so forgive me if this isn't the right place for this question.

I ordered a new hipoint 995ts..the issue is that ALL the new ones have a threaded barrel, which sure enough, this one arrived with.

I questioned him on it,  but the dealer insisted that it was NJ legal...something about the mag being in the grip like a pistol, so it's not considered a pistol grip. Insisted he has asked the SP before. In fairness he offered to weld the thread protector on for free, for me if it would make me more comfortable.

Also the Hipoint isn't on the list of banned by name.....so can it even by substantially identical at all?

I don't know what do you guys think?

Don't mind @Zeke - he's Sig-obsessed. Can't stand anything non-Sig Zeke, be polite to our new poster!;)

Glad you've decided to post, and not just lurk. I'm going to move this over to the NJ Gun Laws section...and I'm sure lots of people will weigh in to answer your question!

• Haha 1

I could be wrong but I think if it has a pistol grip that is one feature, and the threaded barrel that is a second, so you would have to have a brake or a thread protector pinned and welded. 

• Agree 1

Dont consider this accuarate legal advice, but everything i heard about this model (i have one, but pre-threaded barrel) is exacttly what your dealer is telling you.

You could always reach out to the State Police via email or a phone call to get a good answer. I would only mentionthat your thinking of buying one, and then your question.. :good::good:

Ron

The Hi-Point 995-TS falls under the same compliance rules as any other Semi-Auto rifle in New Jersey. You are allowed One (1) "Evil Feature" and since the 995-TS has a pistol grip - that is your EV. The new models are all coming with Threaded barrels, and as such the muzzle nut (or a Muzzle Brake if you so choose) must be pinned and/or welded to make it compliant.

The dealer who told you about the magwell being inside the pistol grip is wrong - period!

You should go back to the dealer you bought it from, and tell them you need it NJ compliant and make them do it; if he says no - find yourself another dealer - fast!

• Agree 2

Sounds as if I'm going to have it welded on....too bad. If I move to a more gun friendly state in retirement, can welding be reversed? Or is there another process of "permanently" attaching the muzzle nut (such as red Loctite, or JB weld, or anything else)that would fly? Sorry for the stupid questions, just never have had a firearm like this, and trying to retain my freedom.

1 hour ago, 115grfmj said:

Sounds as if I'm going to have it welded on....too bad. If I move to a more gun friendly state in retirement, can welding be reversed? Or is there another process of "permanently" attaching the muzzle nut (such as red Loctite, or JB weld, or anything else)that would fly? Sorry for the stupid questions, just never have had a firearm like this, and trying to retain my freedom.

It is a cheap enough gun to replace.... I would sell it to another NJ resident on your way out of the state and buy another one when you get to America.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You can tell your dealer that the Sub 2K is exempt from having the stock pinned because if you pin the stock you cannot take the gun apart to clean / repair it properly. The NJSP have issued a letter on that. there is no exception for either rifle on a threaded barrel. 

If he gets arguementiive - ask him to show you the statute that says it's ok.........

• Like 1

Thanks Jack! I appreciate all the info you've given me, you seem like a stand up guy. At this point it's done and they did it for free. They were really nice about it too.....they just thought I was making a mistake. Now just hope it doesn't void the warranty.

Thanks a bunch to all of you who responded!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

You can tell your dealer that the Sub 2K is exempt from having the stock pinned because if you pin the stock you cannot take the gun apart to clean / repair it properly. The NJSP have issued a letter on that.

Any idea if there is a similar ruling on the Beretta ARX100? That has the same issue with the folding stock.

18 hours ago, 115grfmj said:

but the dealer insisted that it was NJ legal

Would you mind sharing who this dealer is?

BTY I have a Hi-piont 995 9mm carbine.  Although not the Cadillac of my collection, it is one fun beater gun.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

I did not know dis...

That, and a lot of other things.

2 hours ago, PK90 said:

Never held one. Probably won't. It was a rhetorical question. Folding gun is good. Folding stock is bad. Figure it out.

Nice tap dance and a complete avoidance of the question. :whatever:

51 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That, and a lot of other things.

Nice tap dance and a complete avoidance of the question. :whatever:

Was not your question also rhetorical? If not, you just plain dumb.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PK90 said:

Was not your question also rhetorical? If not, you just plain dumb.

When you ask a question that ANY FFL should know or something that's easily looked up on Google, want to tell me who the stupid one is? Aren't you suppose to be a gun expert? :nea:That's why I asked the second question. Should I type slower next time?