45Doll

Domicile vs. Residence

The distinction comes into play when you have homes in more than one state and want to acquire firearms. You can have many states of residence, but only one state of domicile. (Primary residence. Note that it's termed primary, not full time. When you have more than one residence, you are full time nowhere.) The ATF is only concerned with establishing residence, not domicile.

Trump just changed his state of domicile from New York to Florida, for obvious reasons.

I found it interesting that Florida has a 'declaration of domicile' to establish Florida as your primary residence. I hadn't seen that before. I'll have to see if other states have such a document.

Keep this distinction in mind if you are or choose to become a multi-state resident.

3 hours ago, 45Doll said:

The distinction comes into play when you have homes in more than one state and want to acquire firearms. You can have many states of residence, but only one state of domicile. (Primary residence. Note that it's termed primary, not full time. When you have more than one residence, you are full time nowhere.) The ATF is only concerned with establishing residence, not domicile.

Trump just changed his state of domicile from New York to Florida, for obvious reasons.

I found it interesting that Florida has a 'declaration of domicile' to establish Florida as your primary residence. I hadn't seen that before. I'll have to see if other states have such a document.

Keep this distinction in mind if you are or choose to become a multi-state resident.

Most states dont have a declaration.. why? Because they make that declaration  themselves. 

For states like NJ, they fight very hard for your money... in many cases they have determined you are a resident and it's on you to show them you were out of state for the prescribe amount of days to qualify.

A family friend who lives in FL was attacked recently, they went so far as to get phone records and credit card statements to prove he was in NJ on specific  days... turned out his daughter was staying in his NJ residence. But he still had to physically show them he was in FL.

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Most states dont have a declaration.. why? Because they make that declaration  themselves. 

For states like NJ, they fight very hard for your money... in many cases they have determined you are a resident and it's on you to show them you were out of state for the prescribe amount of days to qualify.

A family friend who lives in FL was attacked recently, they went so far as to get phone records and credit card statements to prove he was in NJ on specific  days... turned out his daughter was staying in his NJ residence. But he still had to physically show them he was in FL.

This is not that uncommon. I’ve read quite a few articles that ny and nj are going to step up enforcement as the exodus continues. They are bleeding makers.