Downtownv

This is what we are Up against!

Poll Finds Strong Support For Gun Control In New Jersey

Posted at 2:00 pm on October 31, 2019 by Tom Knighton

3eac1236-dacd-4c43-8c55-52a802490000.png

I don’t remember a time when we saw so many polls on support for gun control. However, it now seems not a week goes by that we don’t see yet another poll telling us all about how most people support gun control. The numbers look about the same as they usually do, yet we’re going to continue to see them.

However, some are effectively meaningless. For example, finding out there’s broad gun control support in New Jersey, of all places.

ln most all of the state’s residents, 92%, said they backed universal background checks and increased funding for mental health services. Do they know NJ has this already?

The poll found that 82% backed allowing police to seize guns from persons the courts deemed to be dangerous, and 67% backed a nationwide ban on assault-style weapons.

Do They NOT believe in Due Process?

Earlier this year, New Jersey enacted a law limiting the maximum magazine capacity, and 66% of residents said they’d support a law doing the same on a national level.

Until they get home invaded by more than 2 people...

Most residents, 58%, backed a law requiring police to only purchase firearms from companies that promote gun safety.

Is there any company that doesn't promote Gun Safety?

It seems that only about 30 percent of the state support loosening of the state’s concealed carry laws, though.

The Thugs hoods Drug Dealers carry without punishment, as the Gun Charges get dropped in Plea deals

This isn’t exactly shocking. Not from New Jersey. It’s also meaningless as there’s no chance in hell of New Jersey’s lawmakers not backing gun control to some degree or another.

However, I still can’t help wonder just what questions were asked and how they were asked.

No Matter, Jersey people are way too smart and sophisticated, just ask them!

You see, that’s a very important part of polling. Questions need to be asked in just the right away to get a true response, but questions about guns are often written by people who don’t understand guns or gun laws.

For example, how many of the 82 percent who backed red flag laws understand that the courts deem someone to be dangerous based exclusively on the testimony of others, none of whom are necessarily qualified to render a judgment on someone’s psychological condition? How many understand that a passing comment might be enough to strip someone of their Second Amendment rights?

The questions just ask if people deemed a threat should have their guns taken away. Almost no one will oppose that, unsurprisingly. There’s nothing in there to suggest due process isn’t part of the procedure, but it’s not.

How many of those 58 percent who back requiring police to buy guns from companies that “promote gun safety” even have a clue what that’s supposed to even mean? Do any of them know if gun companies are doing anything currently?

Then there’s the idea of universal background checks. I suspect few of those 92 percent have a clue just how few transactions don’t undergo a background check on a daily basis other than outright black market sales.

You see, polls are often expecting people to understand the facts on issues and are asking very broad questions. Hell, there are a large number of people who think “semi-automatic” and “fully-automatic” are the same thing when it comes to firearms. No wonder so many of them are scared spitless of so-called assault weapons.

Polls are less than useless when it comes to guns, these days, and it’s mostly because the people being asked about these things just don’t necessarily know much about the issue.

https://bearingarms.com/tomk/2019/10/31/poll-finds-strong-support-gun-control-new-jersey/?utm_source=badaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=bc1d86e1053dd21c60a121534def959c

1 hour ago, Downtownv said:

A Non Gun owner would be shocked at what is required in NJ, the day they decided to be a gun owner!

No, they'd be angry.  "I've got Rights!" would be their response

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

i've got a friend.....she's gay........she had no problem with the normal nics background checks. till she found out that you have to select male or female on the 4473. now she's suddenly outraged that the govt requires you to select a gender.

funny how they don't care about the infringements till they're directly affected, ain't it?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Old_Hunter said:

There’s no gun culture in New Jersey. That began disappearing half a century ago  

The hunting culture is disappearing as we speak. 

This is true. Without a utilitarian use hunting, protecting the herd, etc., the antis try to make us look like fools.  The culture is not there to cover for the sportsman or hobbyist.  

On a fictional note, the movie "28 Days later" always hits me a little harder than other movies in that genre, being that the zombie, or rabid outbreak, happens in the UK where there is little or no way to protect oneself because that country's government has deemed that right to be unnecessary for the public.

On a non-fictional note, I think the (sad) majority of the population, think government is too big to fail.  I believe they disregard rights not currently needing to be exercised, as being irrelevant.  Why should someone need the fifth and sixth amendments if they haven't done anything wrong?!?!    

This state has destroyed the credibility of its duty to warn law because of its hatred of guns.  Other countries raise children to be terrorists with exposure to guns, whereas many here get taught to fear guns.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 1:29 AM, Old_Hunter said:

Surprised? 

There’s no gun culture in New Jersey. That began disappearing half a century ago  

The hunting culture is disappearing as we speak. 

Folks who still desire such have moved . 

Yup.

Thanks to the 'sportsmen' and various 'rifle and pistol clubs' that supported the Stills Act.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cemeterys Gun Blob said:

Yup.

Thanks to the 'sportsmen' and various 'rifle and pistol clubs' that supported the Stills Act.

Bingo! 

And that was back when there were about 190,000 hunters in the state. Seems they were beguiled by the politicians for some reason. Now their numbers are about 60,000. They’re just s small blip on the radar screen now. 

Hunting Sucks in NJ.

Shotgun only for deer, many towns passed no firearm discharges, limited place to hunt. And lastly if you don't join a "Club" your an outsider....Well I would never join a club that would have me, as a member!

2 hours ago, Downtownv said:

Hunting Sucks in NJ.

Shotgun only for deer, many towns passed no firearm discharges, limited place to hunt. And lastly if you don't join a "Club" your an outsider....Well I would never join a club that would have me, as a member!

Well, we could go back in time and make an argument against this statement. I agree that land is at a premium now and farmer's learned they could make some good coin leasing property to hunters. The Southern zones are infamous for their clubs. Land is at a premium these days. 

But back in the sixtie's & seventies I remember there was only a 6-day shotgun season, with 1 day for permit doe the following Wednesday, and the state was BUCKSHOT-only for deer/bear. Bow season had limited days and limits. Times have changed since 1976. 

Today we have copious seasons for deer, with all the permits you want to buy for deer, a fall and winter bow season, early and late rifled muzzleloader seasons, as well as centerfire rifle hunting limited to certain caliber & bullet weight for varmint on state land. (Plus centerfire varmint hunting on private land.)

I'll give this state credit that they've evolved with the times and kept pace with other states.  

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Parker said:

Well, we could go back in time and make an argument against this statement. I agree that land is at a premium now and farmer's learned they could make some good coin leasing property to hunters. The Southern zones are infamous for their clubs. Land is at a premium these days. 

But back in the sixtie's & seventies I remember there was only a 6-day shotgun season, with 1 day for permit doe the following Wednesday, and the state was BUCKSHOT-only for deer/bear. Bow season had limited days and limits. Times have changed since 1976. 

Today we have copious seasons for deer, with all the permits you want to buy for deer, a fall and winter bow season, early and late rifled muzzleloader seasons, as well as centerfire rifle hunting limited to certain caliber & bullet weight for varmint on state land. (Plus centerfire varmint hunting on private land.)

I'll give this state credit that they've evolved with the times and kept pace with other states.  

As a former resident hunter in NJ and current VA hunter I can say the quality in NJ is nowhere near what I have now.  NJ changes way too much for tags.  VA is statewide.  My firearm, muzzleloader, and archery licenses allow me to hunt anywhere in the state and kill 6 deer (unlimited in some counties).  For $18 I can get a permit to shoot 6 more antlerless deer.  I don' need a license to shoot deer on my property (I don't hunt them because they are too tame).

I thought deer hunting was going to be harder in VA because baiting is illegal. This was not the case, I have killed many more quality deer here without bait and will never bait again. It changes the natural habits of deer and is a waste of money/time.  In NJ you won't see deer if you are not baiting. I also like not seeing any other hunters when I hunt which is difficult in a crowded state like NJ.

20 hours ago, Cemeterys Gun Blob said:

OK, school me on this. What was (is) the Stills Act? I tried to research it on the internet but came up with nothing (Although I did come up with a lot of info on how to build your own still, along with some CS&N fan sites). 

8 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

OK, school me on this. What was (is) the Stills Act? I tried to research it on the internet but came up with nothing (Although I did come up with a lot of info on how to build your own still, along with some CS&N fan sites). 

Try "Sills Act 1966"

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/when-did-new-jersey-become-so-anti-gun-the-background.636782

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

Actually it's referred to as the Sills Act of 1966

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

As a former resident hunter in NJ and current VA hunter I can say the quality in NJ is nowhere near what I have now.  NJ changes way too much for tags.  VA is statewide.  My firearm, muzzleloader, and archery licenses allow me to hunt anywhere in the state and kill 6 deer (unlimited in some counties).  For $18 I can get a permit to shoot 6 more antlerless deer.  I don' need a license to shoot deer on my property (I don't hunt them because they are too tame).

I thought deer hunting was going to be harder in VA because baiting is illegal. This was not the case, I have killed many more quality deer here without bait and will never bait again. It changes the natural habits of deer and is a waste of money/time.  In NJ you won't see deer if you are not baiting. I also like not seeing any other hunters when I hunt which is difficult in a crowded state like NJ.

I stopped deer hunting in NJ before the multiple tags system went into place. License fees are absurd by other state standards. And I can hunt elsewhere as a non-resident cheaper than I can as a resident in my own state.

Game management here has evolved into "game replishment" when it comes to pheasant or quail. (Ditto for our hatchery producing trout and other species.) If the state didn't stock them, pickings would be slim to none. Native birds are gone, habitat is gone, farming habits have changed, deer and turkey sate hunter's appetites and keep them placated.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PeteF said:

Remember one guy on this forum said time and again, that the battles we are fighting now are the result of the apathy of gun owners in this state from the past 25-50 years??? 

Wasn't he just spot on and smart as hell !?

@Smokin .50  :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Remember one guy on this forum said time and again, that the battles we are fighting now are the result of the apathy of gun owners in this state from the past 25-50 years??? 

I wonder how many of those apathetic gun owners took flight instead of fight? 

I look around me today and realize the state “looks” a lot different than it did a half century ago.  

5 minutes ago, Old_Hunter said:

I look around me today and realize the state “looks” a lot different than it did a half century ago.  

I am sure it does - I have been here as a residence for going on 24 years now - and my of my it has changed in that short time as well.

Also I remember back in the mid 70's being up at the lakes - again changed quite a bit.

Sadly  - I love my home, i love my neighborhood, I love my area - but I am not staying.  I just cannot do it any longer....  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

@USRifle30Cal He (THEY!) are geniuses!  

Some are more worried about collecting, fudding, hunting, NFA toyz they can't buy, and pork roll vs. Taylor ham ego trips than they are concerned with "INCREMENTALISM"....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Old_Hunter said:

Or just died off.  Let's face it the kids today just don't get into the same stuff.  Do you see them at the drag strip much?  See'em at camp grounds?  On motorcycles as much? Fishing much? They stream to their phones, listen to their pods, play their games, get high and get laid.  There's definitely a generational trend toward the inactive sports and activities.

Oh and BTW, Don't forget to vote today. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The decline in hunting in NJ mirrors the same incrementalism issues as the steady decline in gun rights.  Creeping development over the last 50 years has drastically destroyed habitat and reduced huntable land exponentially.  Look around you at all of the development ... the deer/pheasant/rabbit/squirrels that used to live there are GONE and never coming back.  Hunters in NJ - now the most densely populated state in the US - have been compressed into smaller and smaller areas and are, in many cases, tripping over each other.  This increases the hunting pressure on the game animals; affecting their behavior.  Many hunters have left NJ or quit in frustration; reducing the numbers further.  

This downward spiral is accelerated by the demonification of firearms in general, further reducing the number of hunters in the state.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

21 hours ago, W2MC said:

The decline in hunting in NJ mirrors the same incrementalism issues as the steady decline in gun rights.  Creeping development over the last 50 years has drastically destroyed habitat and reduced huntable land exponentially.  Look around you at all of the development ... the deer/pheasant/rabbit/squirrels that used to live there are GONE and never coming back.  Hunters in NJ - now the most densely populated state in the US - have been compressed into smaller and smaller areas and are, in many cases, tripping over each other.  This increases the hunting pressure on the game animals; affecting their behavior.  Many hunters have left NJ or quit in frustration; reducing the numbers further.  

This downward spiral is accelerated by the demonification of firearms in general, further reducing the number of hunters in the state.

You summed this up eloquently. 

On 11/5/2019 at 1:13 PM, BobA said:

Or just died off.  Let's face it the kids today just don't get into the same stuff.  Do you see them at the drag strip much?  See'em at camp grounds?  On motorcycles as much? Fishing much? They stream to their phones, listen to their pods, play their games, get high and get laid.  There's definitely a generational trend toward the inactive sports and activities.

Oh and BTW, Don't forget to vote today. 

Wow, so true. You just described my youth, and probly many here. We as 15,16 yr old kids were so happy to bum a ride down to Englishtown, spend a lot of summer "camping" in Harriman, fishing before school ( principle had us leave our poles in his office, cool) and up until this summer had a two wheel toy of some sort for 50+ yrs. It was all normal but now.....like you said in-activity is the in thing very sad. Funny related side note, my young neighbor was raking the other day, in his early 30's. He said he has a wedding the next day and needed to lose a few pounds to fit his  suit.....I told my wife and she said that's such a millennial thing to say and I had a good laugh on that.