Coltnut

Wanted to borrow/rent/buy large socket

Not sure where else to post this, but at my wits end so I figured what the heck. I have a piece of hydraulic equipment that needs to be rebuilt. I bought the rebuild kit for the hydraulic cylinder, and got most of the seals out, but I need to remove the large tank nut and am unable. It is a 2 1/2" hex nut, but it's on there with 675+ ft lbs of torque. I have tried pipe wenches etc. You need a deep 2 1/2" socket on an impact. I have an impact wrench, but not that socket. To buy one is $100-$200, which wouldn't bother me if I was in the business, but I will likely use this exactly once for under a minute, so prefer not to have to buy it new. If you have one, or even better, have the socket and a large impact I would appreciate any help. I would drive to you, take off the nut, 2 minutes max. Beer for your trouble or even rent or buy it if reasonable. Anyone here have access to one? If not, my next stop are the truck repair places but I work normal business hours so it's tough to find a place open when I am off.

IMG_3656.jpg

Thanks. That is a good suggestion, but tried that already. Those 2 1/2" spindle/axle nut sockets are a) too shallow, b) thin gauge construction, limited to 250 ft lbs of torque. I need a true deep impact socket.

I probably have a 1" drive 2 1/2" socket but it wouldn't be deep reach. Keep in mind you're also going to need to get the  nut off the back of the piston to change the wiper - they can be a bitch.

Have you tried peening the outside of the cylinder barrel? I had some I couldn't get loose and that worked wonders........

I am going to try and use a drift (punch) to loosen the nut. If that does not work I suppose I could try and hold the nut in a vise and try and drift the barrel, but I would think that would be harder. Last attempt I made, I put the cylinder in a vise, used a pipe wrench and cheater bar. It lifted the entire workbenc,  loaded with 100's of pounds of stuff, off the floor. I think an impact is my only choice if my drift idea doesn't work.

Got it off. Used a little heat to expand the nut a few thou and a 6' cheater bar and it came off. It's a quality Lincoln hydraulic unit from a $2000 jack. After speaking with some pros at hydraulic shops, what i learned was that quality hydraulics, as compared to import junk, seal with metal to metal contact, no gaskets (cheaper units have to use gaskets due to poor machining). The machining on the Lincoln unit is so good, that metal to metal contact is precise enough to seal the unit. But, it also means that the pieces are torqued down very, very snug.