Jump to content
DirtyDigz

Rifle-length "Drop-in" Handguard options?

Recommended Posts

So I bought a PSA "dissipator" upper a while back and had the muzzle device pinned/bayo lug removed:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-dissipator-upper-black-no-bcg-or-ch-5165449779.html

What options do I have for "drop-in" rifle-length handguards that don't require me to pull the barrel out of the upper in order to fit a custom barrel nut and will work with an A2 sight?

I know about the magpul MOE; any others out there?

Edit: Ideally either has a bottom picatinny rail or can mount a picatinny rail section - I have a picatinny-mounting forward grip I want to use with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DirtyDigz said:

just want a mid-length then.

If you swap out that sight tower with a low-pro gas block, your options open up.  You  pull the tower, ditch everything but the barrel nut and gas tube, attach the hand guard mounting hardware, attach hand guard, and viola, free floated for just another $50 and 15 minutes.  If you are just looking to jazz it up a little, the magpul mlok hg is very good, plenty of mounting options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Contrvlr said:

Read the barrel description. It's a mid length gas system with rifle length handguard.

Yeah, that's what I thought the first time, thanks:

Quote

Barrel is finished off with a pinned F-marked front sight post in the Rifle position with sling swivel,  rifle length handguards, and an A2 flash hider.

 

23 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you swap out that sight tower with a low-pro gas block, your options open up.  You  pull the tower, ditch everything but the barrel nut and gas tube, attach the hand guard mounting hardware, attach hand guard, and viola, free floated for just another $50 and 15 minutes. 

Thanks, but  more work than I want to do at this point.  Want to keep the FSB.  I'll keep looking at my options for RIFLE LENGTH drop-in handguards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, after seeing this, I have a better understanding of what the deal is.

198bfabf7c057907411219bcdb257d9c.jpg

 

PSA incorrectly states that the gas system is mid length.  A rig designated as a "dissipator" has a rifle length gas system.  You definitely need a HG compatible with rifle length if you are going with drop-in.

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A dissipator is  a carbine or mid-length (preferred) gas system with the distance between the barrel nut and the FSB being rifle length. There is a low pro gas block under the handguards.

gKv59GT.jpg

There is another version similar  to this called a Kino, which is a carbine gas system with the distance between the barrel nut and the FSB is mid-length on A 14.5” (or shorter - like 12.5”) barrel.

43 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

A dissy is a rifle length gas system with a 16" barrel.

You could put m lok rails on the stock hand guard

 

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/what-is-an-ar-15-dissipator/

That would never work due to dwell time issues.

  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Old_Hunter said:

Bushmaster’s original Dissipator was a rifle-length gas tube to the FSB and the barrel chopped to 16”. Short barrel, full-length sight radius. “Best of both world’s?”  It should work fine depending on the size of the gas port hole drilled in the barrel. 

No.

Bushmaster came out with the first civilian AR-15’s actually called the Dissipator which had shaved-down gas blocks at the normal carbine length and then a “dummy” A2 sight block up in front at the rifle position.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would personally  just build another upper.. 

What was the point of  buying a dissipator, just to turn it into your regular run of the mill upper?

These things were always a novelty, run with carry handles and stocks... maybe a MOE hand guard wouldn't kill the novelty as much?

Always loved the look of a "commando" m4, and these were just slightly longer versions, like the Kino and then the dissipator... 

With these "other firearms" now... I have a Kino on my short list...with a brace ofcourse.

 

And thanks to @High Exposure

cause i never knew it was called a kino....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

A dissipator is  a carbine or mid-length (preferred) gas system with the distance between the barrel nut and the FSB being rifle length. There is a low pro gas block under the handguards.

gKv59GT.jpg

There is another version similar  to this called a Kino, which is a carbine gas system with the distance between the barrel nut and the FSB is mid-length on A 14.5” (or shorter - like 12.5”) barrel.

That would never work due to dwell time issues.

You learn something new everyday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

So I bought a PSA "dissipator" upper a while back and had the muzzle device pinned/bayo lug removed:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-dissipator-upper-black-no-bcg-or-ch-5165449779.html

What options do I have for "drop-in" rifle-length handguards that don't require me to pull the barrel out of the upper in order to fit a custom barrel nut and will work with an A2 sight?

I know about the magpul MOE; any others out there?

Edit: Ideally either has a bottom picatinny rail or can mount a picatinny rail section - I have a picatinny-mounting forward grip I want to use with it.

 

Post a pic with the hand guard off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

This is a great option.

https://www.primaryarms.com/leapers-utg-pro-model-4-15-rifle-length-super-slim-drop-in-handguard-mtu003ss

third review down 

Clean light weight rails 

Thanks for the recommendation.

Went with this one instead:

https://www.rainierarms.com/schmeisser-ar15-2-piece-drop-in-keymod-handguard-contract-overrun/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...