silverado427

Fatal accident In Toms River

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

I have a question, though, where does a 20-something year old boy/man get a vehicle like that? 

I read in a article last night, his Dad gave him the car.

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Shouldn't we pass laws that anyone under 25 cannot drive a vehicle unless it is a mini-van or a Prius?    Lets have Vehicles Permits with 730 day waiting periods.  Perhaps all red cars should be banned?  

No one needs a car that can go over 25 mph, or holds more than 5 gallons of gas, or has any external accessories or addons. You should have to go through complete background check anytime you get a new car and only drive it to work/school and back home.

• Like 3

this is what happens when a kid doesn't truly learn to drive. and lets face it. if you've only driven FWD cars, you don't REALLY know how to drive, or handle anything abnormal. chances are this kid learned to drive on a 92hp honda shitbox, and till this car never drove anything other than low power FWD cars. fast forward to a RWD higher powered car, and suddenly he's dead.  this isn't meant to disparage the kid......but i see stuff like this all the time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

this is what happens when a kid doesn't truly learn to drive. and lets face it. if you've only driven FWD cars, you don't REALLY know how to drive, or handle anything abnormal. chances are this kid learned to drive on a 92hp honda shitbox, and till this car never drove anything other than low power FWD cars. fast forward to a RWD higher powered car, and suddenly he's dead.  this isn't meant to disparage the kid......but i see stuff like this all the time.

That's a good point, FWD cars have been the norm for decades. Many people don't understand the difference between being "pulled" versus "pushed", and how the car handles differently in different situations. We learned to drive on higher powered , RWD monsters (and have the crashes to back it up), where the kids today learned to drive in mom's FWD minivan.

I bought wifey a RWD sports car in the Spring. She's driven FWD cars or 4WD cars for decades. I'm not even sure she understands the 4WD on the occasion she uses it. So my plan is to take her out on the next snow day to get her use to RWD again and how it responds differently than what's she's use to. Don't want to see her bang up the new toy.

36 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i see stuff like this all the time.

I dated a gal in the 80's who's stepfather owned a shop for exotic and top tier luxury cars, Rolls, Bentley, Jag, Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari etc.  He lost AT LEAST one customer every two years to death by incompetence.  Many of the cars he serviced could not be legally driven beyond second gear.  The ones that did not kill themselves usually damaged their cars in some way or another.  Lots of blown clutches, thrown rods, wheels/suspensions busted from sliding into curbs and plenty of body work.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

That's a good point, FWD cars have been the norm for decades. Many people don't understand the difference between being "pulled" versus "pushed", and how the car handles differently in different situations. We learned to drive on higher powered , RWD monsters (and have the crashes to back it up), where the kids today learned to drive in mom's FWD minivan.

I bought wifey a RWD sports car in the Spring. She's driven FWD cars or 4WD cars for decades. I'm not even sure she understands the 4WD on the occasion she uses it. So my plan is to take her out on the next snow day to get her use to RWD again and how it responds differently than what's she's use to. Don't want to see her bang up the new toy.

yea.  but do that in a big empty parking lot. you and her will have fun, and it'll probably be the difference between life and death if she's got it out in the rain or snow some day.  driving my grand parents mustang and big block station wagon in the old grants lot in clementon taught me a lot.

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I dated a gal in the 80's who's stepfather owned a shop for exotic and top tier luxury cars, Rolls, Bentley, Jag, Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari etc.  He lost AT LEAST one customer every two years to death by incompetence.  Many of the cars he serviced could not be legally driven beyond second gear.  The ones that did not kill themselves usually damaged their cars in some way or another.  Lots of blown clutches, thrown rods, wheels/suspensions busted from sliding into curbs and plenty of body work.

doesn't surprise me a bit.

with what i said earlier........i think that's how we get so many kids crashing their mustangs/slomaros/challengers/chargers. go from low power car to factory hotrod, is a recipe for disaster.

14 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

driving my grand parents ......big block station wagon in the old grants lot in clementon taught me a lot.

Mom's Olds Custom Cruiser with a slightly modified 403  is what I learned to drive in.  My sister's bf was a mechanic, he threw headers, a Holley 4bbl and some other stuff in it.  Loads of fun to drive in the snow.

3 hours ago, jm1827 said:

My first car in HS was a vette- Chevy Chevette, with a massive 1.4L engine.  

Back in the 90s I used to bracket race at atco raceway. We were in eliminations and i get paired up with a big block powered chevette.

He did a burnout like a pro stock car.  We pre stage  and move into the staging beam  the tree turns green, And we both  leave. I look  over and the chevette is in a wheelie just about on the back bumper. Almost standing strait up heading in my lane.  He peddled the car, And it came down hard on the oil pan.  i will never forget that moment. 

On 11/13/2019 at 1:49 PM, Scorpio64 said:

Mom's Olds Custom Cruiser with a slightly modified 403  is what I learned to drive in.  My sister's bf was a mechanic, he threw headers, a Holley 4bbl and some other stuff in it.  Loads of fun to drive in the snow.

grandmoms was a 1971 ford ranch wagon with a bone stock 390 2v. it was fast'ish…...by the standards of the day. the stang was a bone stock 289 2v. 

13 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Back in the 90s I used to bracket race at atco raceway. We were in eliminations and i get paired up with a big block powered chevette.

He did a burnout like a pro stock car.  We pre stage  and move into the staging beam  the tree turns green, And we both  leave. I look  over and the chevette is in a wheelie just about on the back bumper. Almost standing strait up heading in my lane.  He peddled the car, And it came down hard on the oil pan.  i will never forget that moment. 

that was Donnie.....Frasier? I think was his name. thing was stupid fast. he sold that car, and the guy that bought it died in it. 

in the 90's I bracketed my 12 second mustang some...….and in late 90's into the early 2000's, we ran the shop camaro in the Tuesday night gamblers races. we spent weeks with me trying to compete foot braking it. then we finally gave up, and put a delay box in the car. that was the difference. went from being the "duck" that everyone wanted to line up with in the first round to being the guy that they knew they were goin' back on their trailer if they lined up next to. 

broke the wheelie bar on one pass....scared the shit outa me. was seeing sky when I shoulda been seeing the other end of the track. I peddled, got the front end down, and won the round....for all the good it did......we couldn't run any more that night. :(

Mom's Olds Custom Cruiser with a slightly modified 403  is what I learned to drive in.  My sister's bf was a mechanic, he threw headers, a Holley 4bbl and some other stuff in it. 

Sounds similar to my first ride. I bought a 68 Ford Galaxie 500 Fastback from my uncle. It had a stock 302. I put headers, manifold and Holley 4bbl on it, and the sucker really ran. Use to burn off a rear set of 60 Series tires in like 5000 miles (along with replacing blown rears, universals and trans). I would regularly break motor mounts and would keep a few sets in the trunk, and could swap them out in 10 minutes. :good:

Loads of fun to drive in the snow.

Ha, some of my best wrecks were in the snow.... :yahoo:

On 11/12/2019 at 10:43 AM, Sniper said:

I read in a article last night, his Dad gave him the car.

I already have my kid's first car here.  it's a competent 4dr family sedan with just enough safety gear to help get him out of stupid trouble, but not so much as to help him get INTO stupid trouble.

• Like 2