Sniper

Fairleigh Dickinson University Gun Control Poll

They just did a poll in New Jersey to see what residents are thinking. Interesting that mental health came up the highest as a concern with the people, but mental health with certain politicians is a nothing burger. Here's the results:

FD poll.jpg

I always dig deeper in these polls to actually see WHO they polled. Notice anything?

...." The survey was conducted by live callers on both landlines and cellular phones between September 26 through October 2, 2019, with a scientifically selected random sample of 801 New Jersey adults, 18 or older.

Democrat (with leaners)             46%                 N = 370 (+/-5%)

Independent                             27%                 N = 196 (+/-7%)

Republican (with leaners)         27%                 N = 220 (+/-7%)

Note, in the country today, Independents make up the LARGEST voting group.... except in these FD polls... hmmmmmmm.....

https://view2.fdu.edu/publicmind/2019/191031/index.html

7 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Most recent polling I cna find is gallup 2017 where the breakdown for NJ was 48% D 33%R

Their numbers aren't horribly skewed.

But the point is, they don't report the methodology, just the results of the poll. So the average observer, looking at the results, will get the impression that there is overwhelming support for gun control, and not realize the results heavily skew towards Dems, based on poll selection.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Sniper said:

But the point is, they don't report the methodology, just the results of the poll. So the average observer, looking at the results, will get the impression that there is overwhelming support for gun control, and not realize the results heavily skew towards Dems, based on poll selection.

There is overwhelming support for gun control... in this state.

If you randomly  called 100 people you should get more Democrats on the phone.. 

While I dont like the results, their methodology isn't skewed....

20 hours ago, Sniper said:

...." The survey was conducted by live callers on both landlines and cellular phones between September 26 through October 2, 2019, with a scientifically selected random sample of 801 New Jersey adults, 18 or older.

But that's not random.   Right out of the gate, they've selected for people who answer calls from unknown numbers and are willing to spend time conversing with strangers on the phone.   That rules out a LOT of people.  It certainly rules out me, and everyone in my family.

I've no idea how those factors would influence the results of the poll, but it's an enormous amount of selection bias.

• Agree 1

I wouldn't know if they call me for the polls, since I never answer the phone unless caller id displays someone I want/have to talk to.

I also do not understand the reasoning behind polls in the first place. I do not base my opinions/decisions/actions on the opinions/decisions/actions of other people. All the polls tell me is what I already know, I'm surrounded by idiots and lemmings.

They also only polled less than 900 people in a state of nearly 9 million.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

I also do not understand the reasoning behind polls in the first place. I do not base my opinions/decisions/actions on the opinions/decisions/actions of other people. All the polls tell me is what I already know, I'm surrounded by idiots and lemmings.

These polls are designed to get a pre-determined result or to match an existing narrative. Most are designed to provide the required result for the person paying for them. The way the questions are worded is one key, and in what order they ask them. They can certainly "lead" the person on the phone to get the required results.

There are some people that think these polls actually mean something.

3 hours ago, 10X said:

But that's not random.   Right out of the gate, they've selected for people who answer calls from unknown numbers and are willing to spend time conversing with strangers on the phone.   That rules out a LOT of people.

Yep, they get the easy pickings...

it's about framing the discussion and gun rights groups fail miserably here

simply put, guns save lives and it's time to trot out the black women, old ladies and young kids whose lives were saved by the use of a gun.  If it saves just one child's life right!  I'd also bring back the reality and historical context and remind people that gun control was to keep guns out of the hands of black people and it's democratically controlled areas heavily populated by blacks that have the highest gun control measures.  gun control is racist.  say it enough and it will stick

gun groups suck at marketing and play way too nice.