randomguy01

Buying an Airsoft Gun

Hello,

Do I need a Firearms Purchase ID or Handgun Purchase License to buy an airsoft gun (with orange tip) from somewhere like Dick's Sporting Goods? This is what I'm planning to get: Umarex Glock 19 Gen 3 Airsoft Gun

I tried looking online, but I think people are misunderstanding the difference between airguns and airsofts. Some say airsofts are illegal, some not, so I'm confused. If I can just go and buy it, can I use it in the backyard, or in a park (when there is no one), to shoot shooting targets?

Also are there ranges (in Mercer or Middlesex County) which let me bring my airsoft and use it inside instead of a real gun?

Thank you.

Airsoft is legal in NJ.  Need to be 18+

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml  See #24 ... 

However .. if you use it improperly or illegally they will treat it as a regular firearm.  In other words don't be stupid. And keep in mind they all look realistic so keep it in mind that the general public and the police can incorrectly identify them as real firearms and act accordingly. 

26 minutes ago, Lakota said:

Airsoft is legal in NJ.  Need to be 18+

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml  See #24 ... 

However .. if you use it improperly or illegally they will treat it as a regular firearm.  In other words don't be stupid. And keep in mind they all look realistic so keep it in mind that the general public and the police can incorrectly identify them as real firearms and act accordingly. 

Thank you so much. I was looking for a clarification like that link. Do you know any ranges which I can bring and use an airsoft?

I dont know of any 'real' range that would allow airsoft .. they don't want to have to pick up all the plastic bb's :)  But I guess it cant hurt to call and ask them. Range fees are range fees... maybe they wont care.  Can also do a google search for Airsoft fields nj.  A lot of paintball fields also have airsoft fields as well.

14 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Do I have to google this reference.

the last time was bad

I did it for you.

Tatsuya Sakai is a Japanese sport shooter who won the 2004 Steel Challenge World Championship in Piru, California.[1] Since handguns cannot be legally obtained by civilians in Japan, he trained at home using an airsoft pistol.[2] A month before the championship he went to California to train with a real gun,[3] and placed first 0.59 seconds before KC Eusebio.

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyB said:

I did it for you.

Tatsuya Sakai is a Japanese sport shooter who won the 2004 Steel Challenge World Championship in Piru, California.[1] Since handguns cannot be legally obtained by civilians in Japan, he trained at home using an airsoft pistol.[2] A month before the championship he went to California to train with a real gun,[3] and placed first 0.59 seconds before KC Eusebio.

Sooo that’s where @Krdshrk gets it from

• Haha 1