MeanGene

Gun safe-where to buy?

Looking to buy a safe to store my stuff. It will go upstairs And there’s hardwood floors everywhere.  So I’m looking for a place with reputable top notch delivery people. I looked at Wayfair but I don’t trust them hauling 300+lbs up a staircase with a landing. I’m in Bergen County/Rockland Co border.

OP: If you're new to safes look this site over. You will be buying something you call a 'safe'; it will actually be a Residential Security Container. (And that may be perfectly fine for your purposes.)

One option is Zanotti Armor. Their safes come on a pallet, and you can carry one piece at a time to your location and assemble it.

I have done this, and IMO they're worth the money. They are not T--15 or T-30 rated, but they have more steel in the door and body than most of what you will find in stores.

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

OP: If you're new to safes look this site over. You will be buying something you call a 'safe'; it will actually be a Residential Security Container. (And that may be perfectly fine for your purposes.)

One option is Zanotti Armor. Their safes come on a pallet, and you can carry one piece at a time to your location and assemble it.

I have done this, and IMO they're worth the money. They are not T--15 or T-30 rated, but they have more steel in the door and body than most of what you will find in stores.

Zanotti is an interesting option. Do Call how much shipping was to New Jersey from IowaCall how much shipping wise to New Jersey from Iowa?  Was each piece manageable to carry it for two people up a staircase? I’m looking at the Z1, which is 350lbs.

1 hour ago, MeanGene said:

Zanotti is an interesting option. Do Call how much shipping was to New Jersey from IowaCall how much shipping wise to New Jersey from Iowa?  Was each piece manageable to carry it for two people up a staircase? I’m looking at the Z1, which is 350lbs.

My shipping cost won't match up to yours. Mine was much bigger and went to an undisclosed location in PA. :ninja:

Doesn't matter. Pick out what you want, call them, and they'll give you the shipping estimate for your location. It will probably ship via R&L carriers. A tractor trailer needs to be able to pull up to your driveway. There will be a lift gate and pallet jack on the truck and the driver will roll it into your garage assuming it's a reasonable trip. (You can confirm all this when you speak to them.) If not, have a buddy on hand and transport the pieces into your garage separately.

I had a 5' Z3 and the heaviest piece was the door at 175#s. The Z1 will be a piece of cake. All of it. They will tell you the specific weights if you ask. Ask for Jack. He took over the company after the original owner retired.

I love the tumbler lock. I also ordered the Z Plus interior treatment, key lock on the dial, and the Golden Rod dehumidifier and I don't regret a single dollar I spent. I ordered the Tan which is actually a dark brown to me and it looks really nice. It also matches up with their interior color.  (Make sure the pallet hasn't changed in the last 18 months.)

After I assembled it, on the front face pieces that butt together,  I could insert a single sheet of paper in the gap between the pieces, but not a postcard. That's how well these things are cut and custom assembled.

If you can bear the cost, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I recently purchased an Agile 52 safe from SecureIT. Am very pleased with it.  Recommend you check out their product line to see if any of their products fit your particular needs. 

I have mine installed in an upstairs bedroom. Will writeup a full review when I have time. 

I bought my centurion liberty safe from gunsafes.com and it was delivered by a local nj company (safemanllc.com) I paid for the white glove delivery.  They had to bring it down 15 stairs inside my completely finished basement - had no issues - they were great !

On 11/13/2019 at 3:57 PM, oldguysrule649 said:

I recently purchased an Agile 52 safe from SecureIT. Am very pleased with it.  Recommend you check out their product line to see if any of their products fit your particular needs. 

I have mine installed in an upstairs bedroom. Will writeup a full review when I have time. 

I also have a Model 52, and it's pretty good. The straight line access is much nicer than traditional safe designs, and it wasn't too difficult to get it up to my third floor apartment. It isn't an actual safe by any means, so there's no fire protection and isn't going to stop someone who's determined, but that's what my supplemental insurance policy is for. Paired with my alarm system, I'm confident that it will stop a smash and grab thug, which is what I am concerned about. Anyone savvy enough to disable my alarm system is robbing the wrong house. Maybe I'll get something beefier if I buy a house, but until then, it should do the job just fine.

Considering that just about any RSC can be cut into with a $20 grinding wheel from Harbor Freight, I recommend layers of deterrence instead of putting everything into your "safe".

17 hours ago, Persona non grata said:

Considering that just about any RSC can be cut into with a $20 grinding wheel from Harbor Freight, I recommend layers of deterrence instead of putting everything into your "safe".

Or, spreading it around in some concealed safes, where the thieves won't think of looking versus the standard safe.

s-l300.jpg

84df7923cf98d46528a92f5639dc011f.jpg

• Like 1

I purchased Champion safe after sandy from shooters, hey delivered and installed it where I wanted it. Compare champion to what your looking for and call them for closest vendor that will deliver. I purchased triumph series had high fire rating.

An update on my Agile 52.  I have had it now for about 5 months and continue to be very happy with it.  I am not suggesting this is the best option for everyone.   But was the best for me. I would describe it as a very high quality RSC, as opposed to a hardened safe.   Will definitely keep my grandkids, visitors, etc from accessing my firearms.  Would also slow down a burglar.  However, I do also  have other layers of security(central station alarm, surveillance cameras, etc.).  I needed to secure my firearms on the 2nd floor of my home.  So buying a 1000+ lbs  behemoth was out of the question.  Nor did I want to worry about having to move a heavy safe if we change residences.

The Agile 52, with it's cradle Grid system, while costly,  is extremely customizable and lets you take advantage of every nook and cranny to store your firearms and accessories.  I purchased the "Plus" version which included 6 bins and three metal storage trays.  Am using them all except for one of the storage trays.   I also purchased the optional large shelf.  This enables you to store four of your rifles up off the floor;  providing you space underneath for  ammo, etc.   

It is mandatory to bolt it down so it is stable and not easily carried away.  In my case, I reinforced the bottom by purchasing some flat iron stock from Lowes/Home Depot and laying two strips of it across the bottom.  The floor bolts go through those and then through four e-drilled holes in the bottom.  I also put a lag bolt through the back panel into the wall.  I used pieces of the wooden slats from it's packing materials as a shim between it's rear panel and the wall.  (There was a gap due to the baseboard moulding.)  

It will hold six long guns with inline access, as well as six handguns (with one or two using the pegs for inline access, the remainder can be stored on the aforementioned storage trays which sit against the back panel behind your long guns.

Lastly, the Zanotti or SecureIT's other line of safes might be worthwhile considering for those who may want a more hardened option without the worry of the weight of the safe imploding your house.