njpilot

School Shooting In CA

6 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Hindsight is 20/20. Would he have made the same assessment if nothing had happened?

Good question.

But I've seen these same remarks in previous shootings where friends or families have stated they were concerned or saw something different going on with the shooter. Unfortunately, we have a society today who continually say "not my problem" and aren't willing to help someone who might need help.

10 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Haven't seen the normal media coverage on this.

Is it the lack of a "assault weapon" or no "mass shooting"

We saw the commercial for ABC 11:00 news tonight. Not a mention that they would cover it.

Probably because:

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

Crap, ruins the Dem narrative. It wasn't a white, Republican male with a AR15....

37 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

they mentioned it on the news on 101.5 again. they keep going to "it's amazing how fast it could happen"

It is amazing and they should be talking about it - how if teachers want and have the proper training be ARMED - NOT mandatory.

I have a son in law in a PA HS and my daughter who is a counselor - they want to be allowed to be able to defend themselves God forbid the need every arises.

Parents should be UP IN ARMS calling for this - *but* alas most are sheep that are living life with Rose colored glasses.

• Like 1

All the restrictions that California has, and still this happened.

it’s a fact that you can have universal background checks, a ten day waiting period on firearms purchases, background checks on ammunition purchases, an “assault weapons” ban, microstamping, a “high capacity” magazine ban, red flag laws, “safe storage” laws, age restrictions on purchasing firearms, and dozens of other gun control laws and still have an attack like this happen.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

Have there been any material updates at all?

I checked a little while ago. Nothing but multiple statements by classmates "he was such a nice guy", "we never expected this", "we hung out all the time, no sign of any issues", "he's a Boy Scout"....

In other words, the model student... so what would make him "snap", and go in and shoot a bunch of his classmates?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

THEY still haven't said how he got that pistol that it was illegal for him to have.

I've read a few stories that said his father was a hunter and involved in shooting sports. He passed away of a heart attack a few years ago. Maybe the kid inherited it from dad? You would think the LEOs would know that and report it by now.

20 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I've read a few stories that said his father was a hunter and involved in shooting sports. He passed away of a heart attack a few years ago. Maybe the kid inherited it from dad? You would think the LEOs would know that and report it by now.

While anything is possible, I think inheritance is a least likely scenario, not that it matters in the grand scheme of things.  The bottom line is he got the gun and shot innocent people and all the democrat laws in Commie-fornia, are not going to ever legislate the evil out of people.

But, to play armchair detective, lets consider he just turned 16 the day this happened.  He would have been around 13 when his dad died.  I don't think his dad's gun was given to him as an inherited item.  His dad passed from a heart attack, which indicates his passing was sudden and unplanned for (as opposed to a terminal illness).   I think it is more likely the gun was taken from the home without the knowledge of what ever adult is responsible for him and the home.  It's possible that the dad passed suddenly and the remaining responsible adult did not know there was a gun hidden away somewhere (or could not find it) and the kid came across it first and kept it without anyone knowing.  I would consider those more likely than someone willing handing down his fathers gun to him. 

13 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Maybe the kid inherited it from dad?

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

so what would make him "snap", and go in and shoot a bunch of his classmates?

Too young to inherit a gun unless he stole it from the mother.

Easy,  most likely a prescribed SSRI given to him for depression!

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

Easy,  most likely a prescribed SSRI given to him for depression!

I second that... I remember reading somewhere that because the brain is still developing as a teenager, SSRIs essentially (to paraphrase here) blur the distinction of what is right vs wrong and remove any cognizant barriers of logic which would prevent someone from doing such harm to begin with.

As far as the why...... I have to wonder whether it had something to do with the girl who was first shot. I don’t recall reading whether she was a random victim or if he was acquainted with her in some way. For instance - he asked her out, she said no. Asked her out again, she said no again. Asked a third time, gets the “Leave me the F alone already!” Starts fantasizing about committing an atrocity - and if he was on those antidepressants, the SSRIs would have removed any of those inhibitions.

I’m pretty sure that that douchenozzle down in Santa Barbara (I think it was) was the same way - kept getting rejected by girls he asked out and was denied.

These guys just can’t handle the Heisman...

07C89BE4-2950-4B00-A537-775B07CBD4AC.jpeg.7e23f6c487025a02d039c4d2e0f8037e.jpeg

• Like 2

"The study led by Oxford University scientists and published in PLOS Medicine journal, found that young adults between the ages of 15 and 24 who had prescriptions for the drugs were significantly more likely to be convicted of a homicide, assault, robbery, arson, kidnapping, sexual offense or other violent crime when they were taking the medications than when they weren’t."

The problem with SSRI drugs is that any family doctor or PA can prescribe them but DO NOT have the psychiatric training to know that patients under 25 require close supervision since it is impossible to know just how the drugs will effect any given patient! 

they may not admit it but I guarantee you that 90% of mass shootings by those under 25 involved the use of SSRI drugs!  Guns were the easy tool but the cause is the drugs that are prescribed at the drop of a hat by practitioners who know not what they do!:(

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

I think it is more likely the gun was taken from the home without the knowledge of what ever adult is responsible for him and the home.  It's possible that the dad passed suddenly and the remaining responsible adult did not know there was a gun hidden away somewhere (or could not find it) and the kid came across it first and kept it without anyone knowing.  I would consider those more likely than someone willing handing down his fathers gun to him. 

I read another article where they interviewed his neighbor, and they claimed he had access to guns. They claimed he hunted with his dad all the time and was responsible when handling guns. Another possibility was that his mom inherited the guns when the father died. Or, she had her own.

Still no reports on how he got them, the LEOs should know by now, unless the MSM wants to suppress it, because the guns were legally owned and he stole it from mom. That would hurt the Liberal "guns bad" narrative too.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Too young to inherit a gun unless he stole it from the mother.

Another possibility is that he did inherit them, on paper, but they were held in trust by his mother until he turned 21. Maybe, he just decided to help himself to their use when he turned 16....

Would be nice if the media did some real investigative work and reporting....

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Hindsight is 20/20. Would he have made the same assessment if nothing had happened?

Yeah, there are probably 100,000 kids ..or more...in high school in America right that could described in exactly that way.

Still what will probably take place is although they should address the mother for allowing a minor to have access to guns, they’ll probably say she has suffered enough and not charge her. And as nobel as that is, when these parents aren’t charged it’s the whole country that suffers. Both future victims and law abiding gun owners.   

• Like 1

“He seemed very familiar with firing the weapon,” Villanueva said. He added that the shooting was not a “spur of the moment act,” but officials have not determined a motive.

Federal and state investigators are also trying to determine whether the handgun used by the suspect was made from parts purchased separately and then assembled, law enforcement sources told The Times.

These so-called ghost guns are unserialized weapons manufactured from parts that can be ordered through the mail or machined parts acquired from underground makers.

The sources said the gun design appears to be unusual but emphasized that officials don’t know its origins at this time.

Investigators found several firearms during a search of the teen’s home, and some were not registered. Villanueva did not specify what types of guns were recovered. The L.A. County Sheriff’s Department is working with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to trace the origins of the .45-caliber handgun used in the shooting.

ihebz.jpg

Shooter has died.....

...."The 16-year-old Southern California high school student who shot five of his classmates Thursday before turning the gun on himself has died, authorities said late Friday.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office confirmed that Nathaniel Tennosuke Berhow passed away at 3:32 PT. His mother was present at the time, according to the sheriff's office statement.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-school-shooting-suspect-dies-of-his-injuries-police-say

I wonder if this was a handgun his father "acquired" outside of normal channels??

..."Authorities on Friday were still analyzing the weapon and its origin, Wegener said.

Law enforcement officials have not shared any information about how the suspected shooter obtained the gun used in Thursday's assault. The 16-year-old couldn't have legally bought it himself: In California, licensed dealers cannot sell a firearm to anyone under age 21.

Authorities said that they had recovered several firearms from the shooter’s home and had accounted for all firearms registered to the shooter’s father. Some of the firearms recovered from the home, however, were not registered to the father, and some were not registered at all, Villanueva said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/11/15/santa-clarita-shooting-saugus-high-school-what-we-know/4197964002/

...." They do, however, believe the attack was planned, citing the fact that Berhow used the last bullet in the gun to shoot himself. It's not clear how Berhow obtained the gun — authorities said it was not one of the six guns in his home registered to his deceased father, although they noted that there were also several unregistered firearms in the home. "

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/santa-clarita-shooting-nathaniel-berhow-saugus-high-school-shooter-dies-of-self-inflicted-gunshot-wound-2019-11-15/

10 hours ago, NJBeretta said:

As far as the why...... I have to wonder whether it had something to do with the girl who was first shot. .

I’m pretty sure that that douchenozzle down in Santa Barbara (I think it was) was the same way - kept getting rejected by girls he asked out and was denied.

This....

We tell them not to focus on the inanimate object, yet the majority of the posts here are focused on the inanimate object...odd

Look to the victims for the source as to the reason for the attack....  this appears not to be random.  He had 'targets'.

Figure that out and you have the motive ...