Sniper

BOOM.... DOW hits 28,000 Record!!!

5 hours ago, Sniper said:

I didn't think so either, but here we are... another record!

DOW at a new record of 36,844 right now.

That was Aug. it was at 35,208, I did sell some and took profits and will do same soon.

Now it's at 36,844 and the new year I will do same soon. still think we have a correction coming. Cash is still worth having.

its been going up with free money, sooner or later it won't be free anymore.

18 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

still think we have a correction coming. Cash is still worth having.

That's why I moved some cash into the Series I savings bonds, currently paying over 7%. Not a bad return, at least for a short while, and I figure, I'm getting something back from .Gov for decades of paying in with taxes.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:37 PM, Sniper said:
On 1/4/2022 at 6:16 PM, Bklynracer said:

still think we have a correction coming. Cash is still worth having.

That's why I moved some cash into the Series I savings bonds, currently paying over 7%. Not a bad return, at least for a short while, and I figure, I'm getting something back from .Gov for decades of paying in with taxes.

Feds move markets, Is the beginning of a minor correction?

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

Fed said they may have to raise rates quicker than they thought. 

Nasdaq was down close to 3.5% today.  Ouch.

Plus, the 10 year has been creeping up, projected to hit 2% soon. That will push up interest rates for consumers for a bunch of loans, like mortgages, credit cards, autos and other personal loans. That will slow down the "recovery".

meh don't worry too much, algos need a reset and to be honest, the notion of rates impact is vastly overrated given the way companies finance now.  Let the noise and chatter get played by the MMs and have some cash ready to invest.

• Agree 1

On 1/5/2022 at 8:22 PM, gleninjersey said:

Nasdaq was down close to 3.5% today.  Ouch.

Looking like the "BOOM" is moving towards "Bust".

NASDAQ now down 14% from it's all time high in November... Techs getting pounded...

DOW down only 7% from all time high high a few weeks ago...

No more free "candy" from the Feds..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, father-of-three said:

Yep.  Even my "non-dog" stocks looked a little meager today.

Tech stocks had their worst week since March 2020, when the country completely shut down. The DOW didn't have a good week either. Wonder if Powell is going to throw them a lifeline?

....."At Friday’s close, the Nasdaq was down 7.6% for the week, its biggest decline since March 2020, when global markets sank on Covid-19 concerns. It’s also the fourth straight weekly drop for the tech-heavy index, the longest losing streak since a similar stretch last April and May.

For the year, the Nasdaq is down 12%, losing to the S&P 500, which has dropped 7.7%, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which has fallen 5.7%. In 2021, the Nasdaq lagged the S&P for the first time since 2016.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/21/peloton-plunge-netflix-miss-send-nasdaq-to-worst-week-since-march-2020.html

This market makes no sense, even before the recent volatility. Up is down, left is right, black is white, dogs are cats. I follow the market and the business news every day, and it's totally nuts. It makes my head hurt.

Since there apparently isn't going to be any additional "injections" by Uncle Sugar, which kept the market propped up the past two years, the sugar high has burned off.... you know what happens after that....

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Looking like the "BOOM" is moving towards "Bust".

NASDAQ now down 14% from it's all time high in November... Techs getting pounded...

Looks like the insider billionaires and others selling back in November-December timed it perfectly.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:19 PM, gleninjersey said:

Things could get fugly soon. 

Looks like the "fugly-ness" is continuing today.

NASDAQ down another 3% right now, other indexes getting pounded too.

Even Bitcoin taking it in the shorts again..

Gold/Silver not holding up to being a safe haven....

Man, my brass/lead investment is the best horse in the stable!  Time to buy more ammo maybe?

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

PM's holding up okay. They usually tank with the market in the beginning of downturns.

That's what is surprising me, they've been moving sideways, not up. Usually when the market gets nervous, PMs will rise, as some flee there for safety.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Wow... the pump monkeys were doing meth today.

After being down -1100 mid session, the DOW closes in the green, up +100. The NASDAQ, after being down 5% also closes in the green..

Epic.

Bet a lot of shorts got squeezed if they didn't cash out mid-session.

If you're really good you cashed out and went long, but that takes brass balls.

• Like 1

At 10:06 Dow now down 790.  Good morning!

• Stocks can lose money, and they can lose all your money.
  • Cash is trash, until it isn’t.

The Mayhem Below the Surface of the Stock Market Seeps to the Surface: Now it’s the Giants that Topple | Wolf Street

9 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Asian markets currently down.  Nikkei down 2%.  

The large drop and recovery earlier today could have just been the first drop on the roller coaster ride we are about to go on.....

Sure seems that way... DOW -780 right now, NASDAQ down -3%...

On 1/21/2022 at 11:06 PM, Sniper said:

This market makes no sense, even before the recent volatility. Up is down, left is right, black is white, dogs are cats. I follow the market and the business news every day, and it's totally nuts. It makes my head hurt.

Since there apparently isn't going to be any additional "injections" by Uncle Sugar, which kept the market propped up the past two years, the sugar high has burned off.... you know what happens after that....

I suspect part of it is that the dollar value of leveraged investments was extremely high. We are currently looking at regulations that might make some of those leveraged investments harder to pull off and some of them illegal. We are also looking at higher interest rates, which make it, even under the current rule set, more expensive to extend the duration on that lever. They have to pay up or pay the interest. So if you have to pay up, you have to get the cash somewhere. Crypto went first because it is a market they were manipulating that is looking to be the subject of massive regulatory change if not outright bans on it in some places that have been fueling the market. 

Is it time to assume the position??  A 500,000 miss....

• Private payrolls fell by 301,000 for January versus the estimate for a 200,000 gain, according to payrolls processing firm ADP.
  • This was the first reported net job less since December 2020 and came as surging omicron cases hit hiring.
  • The pandemic-sensitive leisure and hospitality industry was the hardest hit, losing 154,000 jobs.

Companies cut jobs in January for the first time in more than a year as the spread of the Covid omicron variant appeared to hit hiring, payroll processing firm ADP reported Wednesday.

Private payrolls fell by 301,000 for the month, well below the Dow Jones estimate for growth of 200,000 and a marked plunge from the downwardly revised 776,000 gain in December. It was the first time ADP reported negative job growth since December 2020.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/02/adp-jobs-report-january-2022.html

assume-crash-position-300x208.jpg&f=1&no

On 1/24/2022 at 4:09 PM, Sniper said:

Wow... the pump monkeys were doing meth today.

After being down -1100 mid session, the DOW closes in the green, up +100. The NASDAQ, after being down 5% also closes in the green..

https://wallstreetonparade.com/2022/01/the-new-york-fed-has-quietly-staffed-up-a-second-trading-floor-near-the-sp-500-futures-market-in-chicago/

"The intraday whipsawing, with 1,000-point intraday swings in the Dow Jones Industrial Average last week, strongly suggests that some well-heeled player is attempting to scare out the shorts and create a short squeeze (which sends the stock market back up) when the market is plunging".

I'd like to say I'm sad about this, but I'm not.... Wish it was worse:

Facebook Plummets 20% After Missing Across The Board; US Users Drop, Guidance Disappoints

In an instant shares wiped out a year of gains.

Unfortunately if it really depends on Facebook then we have a problem because moments ago Facebook reported EPS and DAU which both missed, and while the company beat modestly on revenues, the kicker was the company's revenue guidance was well below expectations, and as a result the stock is crashing a whopping 16% 23% after hours.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/facebook-plummets-16-after-missing-across-board-guiding-below-expectations

• Like 1
  • Haha 2