Sniper

BOOM.... DOW hits 28,000 Record!!!

12 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Not enough for me to celebrate.

A big contributor to Facebook's losses was a little change Apple made to their iPhone operating system last year.  Now, when you launch an app for the first time, you see a dialog box like the one below, for Facebook (the image is copied from MacWorld, as i'm not on Facebook).

Anyway, making it so easy to opt out of allowing Facebook to track your activity across all other apps and websites is apparently costing Facebook about $10 Billion a year in lost revenue.     For many users, I'd imagine seeing that pop-up was the first inkling they had that Facebook was tracking their activity across all other apps and websites.

Users blocking tracking on iPhones costing Facebook $10 billion a year

facebook-app-tracking-transparency-3.jpg

20 hours ago, 10X said:

A big contributor to Facebook's losses was a little change Apple made to their iPhone operating system last year.  Now, when you launch an app for the first time, you see a dialog box like the one below, for Facebook (the image is copied from MacWorld, as i'm not on Facebook).

Anyway, making it so easy to opt out of allowing Facebook to track your activity across all other apps and websites is apparently costing Facebook about $10 Billion a year in lost revenue.     For many users, I'd imagine seeing that pop-up was the first inkling they had that Facebook was tracking their activity across all other apps and websites.

Users blocking tracking on iPhones costing Facebook $10 billion a year

facebook-app-tracking-transparency-3.jpg

wish my samsung had this

2 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

wish my samsung had this

Almost every app has permissions you can give or revoke and has been a thing for years on androids.  Might not have been notifications in the past, but I get notifications if an app updates and wants new permissions.

Settings > Apps, or simply long press the icon and go to App Info

Look for permissions.

Some apps may require things, and won't work without them. Sometimes with good reason, sometimes cause they just wanna mine data. A flashlight has no reason to need location, contacts, and microphone. Waze kinda needs GPS to work...  And very few non-critical apps need notifications IMO.

I have always gone through the phone the first days i have it, uninstalling as much as I can that I will never use, as well as both customizing it and locking it down as much as I can without rooting. Also, change things like an always on screen and other stupid settings designed to drain the battery.

The number of people who don't take the time to do this always amazes me, despite hearing constantly how they talked to someone in person about X, and facebook immediately starts showing ads for X, or their constant need to be at an outlet. It takes an hour, maybe 2-3 if you have to look up a lot of settings online, for a device you probably will use countless hours over years. If you add a new app, make sure to check/restrict it too.

10 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Almost every app has permissions you can give or revoke and has been a thing for years on androids.  Might not have been notifications in the past, but I get notifications if an app updates and wants new permissions.

Settings > Apps, or simply long press the icon and go to App Info

Look for permissions.

Some apps may require things, and won't work without them. Sometimes with good reason, sometimes cause they just wanna mine data. A flashlight has no reason to need location, contacts, and microphone. Waze kinda needs GPS to work...  And very few non-critical apps need notifications IMO.

I have always gone through the phone the first days i have it, uninstalling as much as I can that I will never use, as well as both customizing it and locking it down as much as I can without rooting. Also, change things like an always on screen and other stupid settings designed to drain the battery.

The number of people who don't take the time to do this always amazes me, despite hearing constantly how they talked to someone in person about X, and facebook immediately starts showing ads for X, or their constant need to be at an outlet. It takes an hour, maybe 2-3 if you have to look up a lot of settings online, for a device you probably will use countless hours over years. If you add a new app, make sure to check/restrict it too.

just did this, thanks!

agree on the rest, I never allow them however, I was unaware you could do this for fb