mustang69

Any love for S&W Semi-autos? New to me 457S

Hi all,

I went with my FFL here in NH to look at a collection in MA he was asked to sell on consignment.  Turns out the owner's son was taking them and selling them on the street, so the MA police seized them all and revoked the CWP for everyone in the house.  It took a few years to get them returned, and then only on the condition they get sold - hence the call to my FFL.  I just happened to be there when the call came in and asked to tag along.

There were about 40 weapons in total - a combination of long guns and handguns.  Half of the handguns were junk and the rest were pretty beat up, probably due to the seizure and the police basically throwing everything in a box without caring what happened to them.  For $200 I figured this one was a decent buy.  There were several others I  also decide to buy, I'll post updates as I get them.  Prices I think were cheap, but none have boxes or papers and most are pretty scratched up.

The first is a S&W 457s.  I don't know why, but I've come to like the S&W semi's every since I inherited a couple.  They are built like tanks.  Anyone else collect them?  

IMG_1998.JPG

S&W makes great..........REVOLVERS!!!!

Did you expect anything less from me? This isn't a knock on S&W semi-autos, i really don't know enough about them to give an informed opinion.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

S&W makes great..........REVOLVERS!!!!

Did you expect anything less from me? This isn't a knock on S&W semi-autos, i really don't know enough about them to give an informed opinion.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well, they USED to make great revolvers.  Anything with the Hillary hole doesn't count!

1 hour ago, mustang69 said:

Well, they USED to make great revolvers.  Anything with the Hillary hole doesn't count!

If you deny yourself a desirable revolver because of the internal lock or the use of MIM, you will be missing out on some of the best revolvers Smith has ever built. That's OK, just more for me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I have all my old mags and holsters. Just not the gun.

If it is in good shape and you want to part with it and make some $$ let me know. I have permits.

PM me if you are interested. I have been looking for one at a good price for a while.

Once I pick it up I'll send you some pics.  

1st 2nd and 3rd gen smith autos are excellent hyper reliable pistols i have found.

They are a collecting niche all their own...as r the Smith wheel guns...

@High Exposure there is the pistol you are looking for, for sale on the smith forum as i recall.

My 39 single stack.9mm is an absolute tack driving laser beam of a pistol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

We used to get cracked frames on the 4013TSW under the grips, just below the beaver tail.

659 is all steel.  Never heard of any cracking.  I've seen several examples of the 6946 (dao) frame cracking around the hole for the slide lock.  Never saw this happen with the 6906 (da/sa).  Same gun except for trigger action.