MichaelDiggs

Central Jersey Rifle & Gun Club

I always use Garden State as my indoor range. Really nice guys there, have a good selection for their size and they have a lower shelf in your lane! Some lanes at other places just have a single shelf. I need more room for my targets, other hardware, ammo, etc.

Anyway I have been looking at NJRGC and yea the damn huge fee is a real put off but they have keyfob 24/7 access, outdoor and indoor. Lots of space. 

Are there any NJRGC members here? Do they really allow you to use the range 24/7? Or just the indoor? I assume they allow AR-15 rifles, and do they limit those to ONLY the longest rages or you can shoot them at the 50 yard ones? Just trying to get a low down on specifics. Getting tired of shooting my AR's on short lanes all the time. Do they have metal targets setup for you so you don't need to walk out and setup your targets? Paying over $800 to join I'd figure they have whatever you want but after you join is when you start finding the limitations. What do you think?

I was all over their website. Most of it talks about the financials and less about the range itself. The initial $700-$800 fee then you have the annual $350 fee on top of that. Literally over $1000 for the first sign up I believe. BUT they offer a lot of land, a lot of different range sizes and indoor as well. Have you ever went there on a weekend and it was really crowded that you had to wait for a lane? Do they close the outdoor ranges in the winter? Anyway, thanks for replying and maybe we can figure something out for me to take a look first without dumping all that cash out. Thanks!

Indoor range is 24/7. Most handgun and 22 rifle only.  Outdoor ranges are from 0800 or 0900 (on Sundays) to sundown.

Centerfire rifles on high power (300 yds) or multipurpose range (200 yds) only. You can fire them at 50 yards. Exception is pistol caliber carbines in certain pits.

You supply your own steel targets for rifle.

I've been a member for some time and have no desire to go anywhere else.

Most of the time I go on weekdays so I can't answer your question regarding availability on weekends.  Obviously if they're having some type of competition that will tie up the high power range (rifle) or some of the pits for most handgun competitions.

• Like 3

I was hesitant to join (mostly over the cost) debated it for about two years before I did join.

You can split the $600 capitol contribution fee into smaller payments. $300 up front, then $320 split into four payments over a year. They also pro-rate the yearly dues based on when you join. You can get credits for attending the meetings or being a member of approved work parties also. Some other clubs mandate work party participation, or you buy your way off.

The range rules are posted on the website: https://cjrpc.org/page/Rules  there's a downloadable pdf at the bottom.

I'm coming up on my one year anniversary and I have never had to wait to shoot. They do close the indoor range for a couple of hours one night a week for cleaning; otherwise 24/7 as advertised. As mentioned previously the outdoor ranges are limited to mostly daylight hours to be good neighbors. The pits do have some steel targets set up that you can use. There are restrictions on what you can shoot in the pits though. Pistol, general and high power ranges have target stand holders set into the ground to hold your supplied stand.

It is not an inexpensive club, but they do put money into the place and I do feel I get my money's worth.

I'd be willing to show you around as well; although I'm not AS close as mjrfd99, nor do I get there as often.

• Like 2

The club sounds very interesting. My current membership will run out this winter and that's why I'm possibly looking to check out another place with more resources. My current club is 29.6 miles away and takes 40 minutes to get there. Central Jersey is 23.9 miles away and looks like it will take me 30 minutes away. So that's pretty cool, it's actually closer.

Are potential members allowed to visit the site and walk around to check it out or have to be with another member? If have to be with another member, does that take away something from that member? Like points or a guest pass? And Mr. Winter is coming, do they close the outdoor ranges or keep them open all year? I'll re-read that PDF file. Downloaded it the other day.

If you were to take me into the area, would we be able to roam around or do you have to go right to a certain range?

Thanks for the info guys.

The only time non-guested non-members are permitted is during public events. All events are posted on the calendar, the event would specify if it is members only or public. Even then, you can not see the indoor ranges without the fob to unlock the door. Not seeing the place ahead of time was a concern I had also. Turned out positive for me.

As far as I know the outdoor ranges are open all year. Never seen or heard otherwise. Matches may be cancelled due to weather based on the Director's discretion. Correction: outdoor ranges are closed for one week in Dec for deer season. Indoor range is still open.

Members are restricted to x number of guests at a time, each guest y number of times a year. Immediate family does not count. You have to sign in as a guest, stay with the member while there, and the member is responsible for you.

• Like 2

CJ has nice facilities, but I wouldn't count their indoor range among them. Unless the redesigned the redesign, it's something like subsonic lead pistol ammo only. 

Before plunking down the coin to join, I'd go to a match on a weekend to observe and take a look around at what is busy and what is not. There are usually some pistol pits and one of the 200 or 300 yard ranges available most weekends. They definitely do not close the range in winter, although the weather (i.e. snow) may make it inaccessible for periods. 

The downside of CJ is that there's a lot of internal politics that are just a waste of everyone's time and sometimes money.  

• Agree 2

Member here. I ve been there as a guest for matches and I was immediately amazed by how nice the facilities are, so I joined the club last year. Yes, the club is expensive to join but I find it totally worth it. The range is always open and it's almost never crowded. Since all the matches are hold in mornings (6-7 am till noon) , most members won't be affected as most people choose to visit in the afternoon. People there are very friendly and professional, and there is no regular mandatory meeting except for the first 2 for joining the club. 

You should check CJPRC website out and maybe go there for a match on Sunday to have a better idea. TBH, I ve been to a few other places but CJRPC is the best so far. 

• Like 2

Outdoor rifle ranges and pits are daylight only. The pistol and shotgun ranges are 7am to 9 pm weekday, open at 8 on Sat/Sun. I have never waited for a spot in 8 years. We shoot  clays every Thursday until 9PM  all year long. It is a club event, targets are provided $4 for 25. Yes, we shoot at 20 degrees. Man up and dress warm. Heated trailer in between rounds.

• Like 2

My brother in law joined last month, our plan was to join together but I'm still recovering from Christmas.  I plan on going to the new member meeting this month and joining.  I would love for someone who's been a member for a long time to bring me there and show me what's going on.  My schedule doesn't afford me weekends as my job is busiest then so my two days off usually fall between Tuesday-Thursday.   I'm new to shooting and firearms (got my first one in September.  Now I have 4 and two pistol permits pending).  I go to GSSC at least once a week and I absolutely love it as a new hobby.

8 hours ago, TFJD said:

My brother in law joined last month, our plan was to join together but I'm still recovering from Christmas.  I plan on going to the new member meeting this month and joining.  I would love for someone who's been a member for a long time to bring me there and show me what's going on.  My schedule doesn't afford me weekends as my job is busiest then so my two days off usually fall between Tuesday-Thursday.   I'm new to shooting and firearms (got my first one in September.  Now I have 4 and two pistol permits pending).  I go to GSSC at least once a week and I absolutely love it as a new hobby.

You might have some trouble finding someone to give you a tour on a weekday. Might be stupid question, but why not have your BIL take you? Members have access 24x7x365; you just can't shoot outdoors at night.

I was very nervous putting up that kind of money before spending time there. I took a bit of a leap of faith and have not regretted it.

44 minutes ago, kc17 said:

You might have some trouble finding someone to give you a tour on a weekday. Might be stupid question, but why not have your BIL take you? Members have access 24x7x365; you just can't shoot outdoors at night.

I was very nervous putting up that kind of money before spending time there. I took a bit of a leap of faith and have not regretted it.

He just joined last month and hasn't gone shooting yet.  I'm thinking someone who's been able to experience everything they have to offer can better inform me.  What's a range day like? How to pack, preparation and things like that.  Right now we'd both benefit from input from experienced people.

40 minutes ago, mjrfd99 said:

I live close to CNJR+P Long time member.

Available most weekdays +

Hit me up for a tour 

Thank you.  I'd love to check it out.  I'm definitely going to join but I like to see what I'm getting into if I can.

@mjrfd99 I would like to take you up on the offer.  I'd have to check my schedule though.  I am off today but I have to be home by 3 to get my kid off the school bus.  If you can text me I'll look into my schedule for next week.  908-675-9972.  I go by Jay Dee.

• Like 1

I've gone through the website, but am not sure if the weekend events are open to the public.  I'd like to take a look with the wife and kids if possible.  I see events on the calendar, but no indication if they are public or only for members and their guests.  Anyone know?

6 hours ago, KennyMats said:

I've gone through the website, but am not sure if the weekend events are open to the public.  I'd like to take a look with the wife and kids if possible.  I see events on the calendar, but no indication if they are public or only for members and their guests.  Anyone know?

Most are open to the public, I know the Members Only Steel is not. All matches were closed to the public for awhile after they restarted after the wuhan flu shutdown. I think they've reopened again.

Your best bet would be to email the Match Director for the one you want to check out.

They post a code to get in by the gate, the MD has to give you the code to get out.

Look at Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club also.

For me, Central Jersey (Jackson) and OB are two of the best clubs in that area. They have a lot of different types of competitions if you are into that sort of thing. I thought OBRPC opened their events to the public again, I could be wrong. I was a member there for years.

They each have their good and bad, so check them carefully, neither is cheap to join. Check each clubs website and see what competitions are open to the public and go to each club, that way you can see the entire facility.