PK90

Firearm Purchasing Requirements as it applies to NJ Resident

I made this up awhile back. Hope it helps anyone looking to purchase or sell a firearm.

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a P2P and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

....B. Out-of-state resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

2. Long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

....B. Non-resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = consult buyer's home state laws

3. Blackpowder and pellet handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a P2P and Photo ID required

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = no requirement

........(4) Out-of-state resident = no requirement

....B. Out-of-state resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = must be shipped to an out-of-state address

........(2) NJ resident = transfer must take place out-of-state

4. Blackpowder and pellet long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a FPID, COE and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = no requirement

........(4) Out-of-state resident = no requirement

....B. Non-resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a FPID, COE and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested or transfer must take place out-of-state

NJ = "New Jersey"

NICS = "National Instant Criminal Background Check System"

P2P = "Permit to Purchase a Handgun and Form of Register"

ID = "Identification"

FPID = "State of NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD"

COE = "Certificate of Eligibility"

Here are some state forms that you may need:

• Like 5

my understanding, You can only purchase from out of state dealer.... not from out of state resident. if resident, has to go through ffl.

otherwise, when i bought my long guns in PA, they did the nics, made sure it was jersey legal, and filled out my cert of eligibility.

my understanding, You can only purchase from out of state dealer.... not from out of state resident. if resident, has to go through ffl.

otherwise, when i bought my long guns in PA, they did the nics, made sure it was jersey legal, and filled out my cert of eligibility.

From what I looked up yesterday, and from reading this flow chart, it looks like NJ Residents can't do any private out of state sales, like you said, everything via FFL.

Just not sure were form 4473 comes in, with regards to out of state sales. Only concluding that it goes with the NICS check.

The COE is used for any long gun purchases, sales, or transfer, between person to person, in nj, or ffl to purchaser out of state or here.

Basicly, you use COE every time except for Pistols, where you need pistol permits.

I saw this on another forum the OP made it availble for everybody to use, this is in addition to required paperwork by the state, any part of this document can be changed.

Bill of Sale

Transfer of Ownership

For $______ received, I, (seller

• Like 2

I'm currently waiting out the process of obtaining my F.I.D. and 2 permits to purchase handguns. Does anyone know if it is legal or illegal to put a deposit down on a handgun at a gun shop while I'm waiting with the actual purchase & transfer not occuring until I have obtained the FID & permit? I'm as green as they come on this subject, so forgive me if there are some pretty obvious reasons a gun shop would never agree to do this for a customer.

I'm currently waiting out the process of obtaining my F.I.D. and 2 permits to purchase handguns. Does anyone know if it is legal or illegal to put a deposit down on a handgun at a gun shop while I'm waiting with the actual purchase & transfer not occuring until I have obtained the FID & permit? I'm as green as they come on this subject, so forgive me if there are some pretty obvious reasons a gun shop would never agree to do this for a customer.

To my knowledge there's no laws against a shop taking a deposit. Nothing has changed hands as far as firearms goes.

The shop may not want to bother with you because you could be rejected and it could take months.

I know shops that will take deposits if you show your FPID and tell them you are waiting on permits.

thanks for posting that I was curious about the non-resident's ability to buy in NJ.

You answered almost as though PK90 was answering a question of yours. Such wording can be less than effective.

Perhaps you can specify what it is you would like to know?

I made this up awhile back. Hope it helps anyone looking to purchase or sell a firearm.

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

So I can purchase a handgun from a NJ resident as long as it's face to face and I have a P2P? I don't need to have a NICS check?

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

So I can purchase a handgun from a NJ resident as long as it's face to face and I have a P2P? I don't need to have a NICS check?

That is correct.

That is correct.

Thanks Dan. Glad I get to throw away 16.05 for NICS through a dealer. :roll:

Quote:

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

Maybe someone can help clarify further for me please;

If my father who lives out of state wants to give me his hangun, could he drive to my town in NJ with the handgun and we then go to a nearby FFL and do the transaction there directly, assuming I have my NJ hangun purchase permit? Would this be allowed in NJ so I could avoid the shipping fee from originating from his state (Vermont)?

If my father who lives out of state wants to give me his hangun, could he drive to my town in NJ with the handgun and we then go to a nearby FFL and do the transaction there directly, assuming I have my NJ hangun purchase permit? Would this be allowed in NJ so I could avoid the shipping fee from originating from his state (Vermont)?

Yes. Good to go. I would make sure the FFL is aware of this ahead of time just because I'm thorough. A few FFLs don't want to do transfers on guns they sell but most don't care.

Also be cautious on transport since your father won't be protected under the federal statues. It shouldn't be a problem, just saying, you don't want to run afoul of the rules while he's in state.

I put a hold on a handgun and a shotgun before I got my permits and FID. I just had to pay for it in full after 30 days. They told me to call if the 30 days is approaching and the permits haven't arrived. They would hang on to the firearm.

Everything worked out, but your mileage may vary depending on the store. I got my stuff at BH.

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

Are there any requirements from the seller in this situation? Does the person selling a handgun need to have a FID or anything like that?

Does the person selling a handgun need to have a FID or anything like that?

No, as a seller they do not need a Firearms PURCHASER Identification Card. Whether a pistol permit or a Certificate of Eligibility is filled out, the seller just enters "NONE" at the FPID number.

I am a legal resident of multiple states, including NJ. I have a NJ FPIC. My handguns have all been purchased legally in another state where I am also a legal resident. The other state does not have any gun registration requirements. I have been told by my local PD that I can legally bring a handgun that I legally own elsewhere into NJ, go to the range, shoot competitions, etc. and I do that. I am also covered by Federal Transportation Laws since I'm transporting it from one place where I can legally have the gun to another where I can legally have it.

I have a handgun that I want to sell to a NJ resident. I have told him that he needs to get his FPIC and a Purchase Permit, which I believe covers his side of the transaction.

What forms do I need and processes do I have to go through to sell the gun to him?

Do I make it easier for myself to do a NJ Courtesy Registration of the gun before I sell and transfer it to him? How does that change the process?

I am a legal resident of multiple states, including NJ. I have a NJ FPIC. My handguns have all been purchased legally in another state where I am also a legal resident. The other state does not have any gun registration requirements. I have been told by my local PD that I can legally bring a handgun that I legally own elsewhere into NJ, go to the range, shoot competitions, etc. and I do that. I am also covered by Federal Transportation Laws since I'm transporting it from one place where I can legally have the gun to another where I can legally have it.

I have a handgun that I want to sell to a NJ resident. I have told him that he needs to get his FPCI and a Purchase Permit, which I believe covers his side of the transaction.

What forms do I need and processes do I have to go through to sell the gun to him?

Do I make it easier for myself to do a NJ Courtesy Registration of the gun before I sell and transfer it to him? How does that change the process?

I would do the purchase through a NJ FFL just to be on the safe side.

there is an on going disscussion at another forum (NJH)basically stating a nj resident can buy a BB HG or black powder pistol in Pa w/o a p2p and bring it home legally....I know BB guns arent real guns in Pa but you committ a crime when you cross the river

into nj with a bb pistol, w/o a p2p and ffl transfere in nj right ?? I cant find the statue or law to prove me right..anyone know??