PK90

Firearm Purchasing Requirements as it applies to NJ Resident

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a P2P and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

....B. Out-of-state resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

2. Long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

So an FPID is not needed to purchase a handgun...but would be needed to purchase ammo?

My parents live in N Wildwood and I've been tasked with finding out what they would need to do to purchase a gun for the home.

So an FPID is not needed to purchase a handgun...but would be needed to purchase ammo?

My parents live in N Wildwood and I've been tasked with finding out what they would need to do to purchase a gun for the home.

You need a P2P to purchase handgun and you need a FID to get a P2P.

You need a FID to purchase handgun ammo in NJ. I purchased handgun ammo at Walmart in PA yesterday and they didn't ask for a FID.

You need a P2P to purchase handgun and you need a FID to get a P2P.

You need a FID to purchase handgun ammo in NJ. I purchased handgun ammo at Walmart in PA yesterday and they didn't ask for a FID.

Incorrect. You can get a P2P without an FPID. It's the same application and process, so for $5, most people get the FPID and the P2P's ancillary to that. But you can simply get a P2P - regardless what your local PD may tell you. Show me a cite that says you have to have a FPID in order to get P2P. :thsmiley_deadhorse:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Also, you may purchase handgun ammo with just a permit and no FPID.

According to the law.

Store policy however may not allow this as each store makes their own rules above and beyond the law. Further, it seems that even chain stores have different policies from location to location.

Incorrect. You can get a P2P without an FPID. It's the same application and process, so for $5, most people get the FPID and the P2P's ancillary to that. But you can simply get a P2P - regardless what your local PD may tell you. Show me a cite that says you have to have a FPID in order to get P2P. :thsmiley_deadhorse:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I've reread the law 3 times and must concur with you. It never occurred to me that you could get the P2P without a FID.

Quote:

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

Maybe someone can help clarify further for me please;

If my father who lives out of state wants to give me his hangun, could he drive to my town in NJ with the handgun and we then go to a nearby FFL and do the transaction there directly, assuming I have my NJ hangun purchase permit? Would this be allowed in NJ so I could avoid the shipping fee from originating from his state (Vermont)?

Yes. Good to go. I would make sure the FFL is aware of this ahead of time just because I'm thorough. A few FFLs don't want to do transfers on guns they sell but most don't care.

Also be cautious on transport since your father won't be protected under the federal statues. It shouldn't be a problem, just saying, you don't want to run afoul of the rules while he's in state.

I have a similar situation. My father-in-law passed away and my mother-in-law wants to give me his handgun. She will get the court papers that she now owns the handgun. She lives on the otherside of the river, NYC. Can she drive it to me and we can go to a ffl together? Her local ffl wants $150 to ship. I have all my paper work. Will the court paper be suffice for the handgun transfer by the local ffl?

I have a similar situation. My father-in-law passed away and my mother-in-law wants to give me his handgun. She will get the court papers that she now owns the handgun. She lives on the otherside of the river, NYC. Can she drive it to me and we can go to a ffl together? Her local ffl wants $150 to ship. I have all my paper work. Will the court paper be suffice for the handgun transfer by the local ffl?

Yes, you can drive to a NJ FFL and make the transfer. I would get in touch with the FFL and let them know first. I'd recommend Mastodon up there.

I live in Bergen county.

Can somebody tell me how can i buy handgun from the dealer in south jersey without having to drive for 2 hours.

Thanks.

You can't from them, but if they ship it to a FFL close to you you can.

Let me rephrase that, you can buy from them, but they will charge you shipping and then you will have to pick it up from a local FFL and pay them for not only the transfer but the NICS check also.

Hey guys, hope this is the right thread to post this-

I purchased a new Colt LE 6920 rifle with magpul furniture (NJ Compliant) about a year ago.  Haven't even fired it once yet and would like to sell it, but have never sold a firearm before.  I have a wedding coming up and could really use the funds.  

From what I gather, to complete a private sale 

• 2. Long gun purchases by
  • ....A. NJ resident from
  • ........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

A few questions:

1. Do I need to make copies of the COE? one for seller and for purchaser?

2. Verifying FPID and Photo ID, do I just need to make sure address and name match up or do I need to do something more exhaustive?

3.  Do I need to report anything?

4.  Any recommended areas to post to for sale? (I dont have many friends that are firearms owners or have their own FPID to begin with)

2 hours ago, peacewalker said:

I purchased a new Colt LE 6920 rifle with magpul furniture (NJ Compliant) about a year ago.  Haven't even fired it once yet and would like to sell it, but have never sold a firearm before.  I have a wedding coming up and could really use the funds.  

• ........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

A few questions:

2. Verifying FPID and Photo ID, do I just need to make sure address and name match up or do I need to do something more exhaustive?

4.  Any recommended areas to post to for sale? (I dont have many friends that are firearms owners or have their own FPID to begin with)

Message sent. I'll probably take it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peacewalker said:

A few questions:

Just for the record, you NEVER report anything. P2P yes, there’s a mailing. BUT THATS IT. 

• Like 2