45Doll

10mm Glock

Well, I picked up a Glock 40 on Friday and shot it Sunday. I bought the 40 because of the 6" barrel, MOS ready, price point, and 15 round capacity. (When at my undisclosed PA location.)

I was shooting 'average' factory rounds, both RN and JHP, not 'full house' Underwood or equivalent.

From what I read 10mm was supposed to be what? Hard to control? Follow up shot issues? FBI agents had a problem? Take your pick. I found the Glock not only comfortable to shoot but also very accurate. (I did better than with other Glocks.) Of course the 6" barrel and sight radius helped I'm sure, but the first 15 rounds were in the X ring at 21'. I'm no he-man, and for me that's pretty accurate. It certainly wasn't a cannon.

So now I'm going to order some Underwood and see how that flies. By the specs might be a 20% or so uptick. 10mm was the first new caliber for me in eight years and just a lark. But so far I'm like'n it. I remember Ted Nugent rambling about how much he liked to shoot 10mm. Maybe I see his point.

If anyone else is into 10mm, I'm listening.

20 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Well, I picked up a Glock 40 on Friday and shot it Sunday. I bought the 40 because of the 6" barrel, MOS ready, price point, and 15 round capacity. (When at my undisclosed PA location.)

I was shooting 'average' factory rounds, both RN and JHP, not 'full house' Underwood or equivalent.

From what I read 10mm was supposed to be what? Hard to control? Follow up shot issues? FBI agents had a problem? Take your pick. I found the Glock not only comfortable to shoot but also very accurate. (I did better than with other Glocks.) Of course the 6" barrel and sight radius helped I'm sure, but the first 15 rounds were in the X ring at 21'. I'm no he-man, and for me that's pretty accurate. It certainly wasn't a cannon.

So now I'm going to order some Underwood and see how that flies. By the specs might be a 20% or so uptick. 10mm was the first new caliber for me in eight years and just a lark. But so far I'm like'n it. I remember Ted Nugent rambling about how much he liked to shoot 10mm. Maybe I see his point.

I think @fishnut loves da ten.

Biggest problem with my 10 (S&W 1026) is that it ejects the brass so far that they go out the back window opening on the 25yd range at SJSC and I have to chase them down in the grass behind the shoot house!

I'm considering a HiPoint 10mm carbine (to go with its .380, .40 and .45acp brothers) if I can find one at a great price. You can't beat the lifetime warranty (ask me how I know) and the excellent price point of the HiPoint carbines.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Sooo @45Doll and @fishnut why 10 mm?

Because its 1mm better than 9mm! 

I can hunt with a 10mm pistol here in NH, More penetration than 9mm, More rounds than .357mag or .44mag.

The main reason I want a 10mm is it's a proven round for effectively stopping large attacking animals such as moose. 

On 11/19/2019 at 6:24 PM, fishnut said:

Because its 1mm better than 9mm! 

I can hunt with a 10mm pistol here in NH, More penetration than 9mm, More rounds than .357mag or .44mag.

The main reason I want a 10mm is it's a proven round for effectively stopping large attacking animals such as moose. 

What is the ballistic difference between 10mm and 357 Magnum?  Would a 6 inch 357 be better suited than a 5 inch 10mm?  Curious 

On 11/18/2019 at 7:43 PM, 45Doll said:

I have had a Glock 20 for years.  Standard 10mm from the major manufacturers is a joke, it is loaded to 40S&W specs. I only buy Underwood and DoubleTap.  Both are much more powerful that any other 10mm that I have tried.  

13 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

What is the ballistic difference between 10mm and 357 Magnum?  Would a 6 inch 357 be better suited than a 5 inch 10mm?  Curious 

yeah a 6"357mag should be hotter. However 10mm is a larger bullet and it's almost the same velocity with more rounds in the mag. 

5 minutes ago, fishnut said:

yeah a 6"357mag should be hotter. However 10mm is a larger and it's almost the same velocity and more rounds in the mag. 

50 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I have had a Glock 20 for years.  Standard 10mm from the major manufacturers is a joke, it is loaded to 40S&W specs. I only buy Underwood and DoubleTap.  Both are much more powerful that any other 10mm that I have tried.  

That 6" barrel is the reason I bought the 40, to make maximum use of whatever round I'm shooting. I'll have to look at the Remington .357 125 gr HP specs and see how they compare to the Underwood I bought.

Curiously, on the Double Tap site, the section for 'Range' ammo is empty. I didn't go through the whole product catalog, but defensive 10mm rounds were all over $1 each. The Underwood 'range' ammo is around .50.

3 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

That 6" barrel is the reason I bought the 40, to make maximum use of whatever round I'm shooting. I'll have to look at the Remington .357 125 gr HP specs and see how they compare to the Underwood I bought.

Curiously, on the Double Tap site, the section for 'Range' ammo is empty. I didn't go through the whole product catalog, but defensive 10mm rounds were all over $1 each. The Underwood 'range' ammo is around .50.

My 10mm is used for handgun hunting. It has a Storm Lake 6" barrel on it.  I do buy the Underwood range ammo.  It shoots great.

I can't speak to the 10mm cartridge,  but I have found that the thicker slide that glock uses for their 10mm and .45 cal. models lowers the recoil significantly.  At least that's my opinion on the glock 30.  The recoil on the 30 was much less that I though it would be, given the size of the gun.

3 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

I can't speak to the 10mm cartridge,  but I have found that the thicker slide that glock uses for their 10mm and .45 cal. models lowers the recoil significantly.  At least that's my opinion on the glock 30.  The recoil on the 30 was much less that I though it would be, given the size of the gun.

I think it is a combination of the slide and the flex in the frame. 10mm out of a 1911 is way more intense than through a Glock.

• Like 1

Remington .357 and Underwood 10mm:

Remington    RTP357M1    125gr   SJHP  Muzzle: 1,450 fps   583 f-lbs

Underwood   231                 135gr   JHP    Muzzle: 1,600 fps   767 f-lbs

Between these two 10mm is about 10% faster with 30% more energy. At least that's what's on paper.

"Your results may vary." :D

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Between these two 10mm is about 10% faster with 30% more energy. At least that's what's on paper.

Not to be a jerk, but Remington ammo isn't that hot.  I used a S&W Model 13 loaded with 357 Buffalo Bore game ammo and it was hot.  Hot enough that the ejector rod had to be slammed to get the casings out.  So, that would be an apples to apples comparison. 

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Not to be a jerk, but Remington ammo isn't that hot.  I used a S&W Model 13 loaded with 357 Buffalo Bore game ammo and it was hot.  Hot enough that the ejector rod had to be slammed to get the casings out.  So, that would be an apples to apples comparison. 

No jerk involvement here. I used the Remington round because historically I've seen it quoted as the most effective .357 round for self defense, by the likes of Ayoob and others.

Perhaps they don't quote hotter rounds like Buffalo Bore because they might lock up your revolver and stop you dead in your tracks in an SD scenario, as you described. That would not be good.

But if heat is your game, by all means bring it!

On 11/22/2019 at 12:25 PM, 45Doll said:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=541

Beats the 10mm

I'm a 10 fan boy. The original loads done by Norma were supposedly a bit rough this the comment by FBI agents.  I roll my own and it isn't expensive at all. Starline has reasonably priced brass. I have the 40 with the Trijicon optic on it and enjoy it. I have 6 pistols in 10mm. 610, sig 220 legion, tangfolio, delta elite, 2 glocks (20,40)  I also have a 20 in 9x25 Dillon which is a 10 necked down to 9mm much like 357 sig is 40 necked down to 9 (kind of).  Probably gonna a score another 1911 style 10mm when I head to Jax tomorrow. 

So I shot the Underwood rounds at the range Wednesday. Yes, it's a bigger bang. In fact one guy out of the three at the other end of the lanes came over to see what all the noise was and reported back to his friends 'he's shooting 10mm'.

The Underwood Range Supply 297 is a definite step up from the Magtech rounds I shot previously. They felt 'comfortable' out of the Glock 40, and my wife shot them too. I could shoot them for a while.

The 246 ammo felt slightly hotter but OK to shoot. The 231 was definitely a step-up! I wouldn't want to shoot them all day at 1600 fps. Here's where I suspect the ergonomics of a particular pistol might come into play.

But we did get a kick out of the boom and muzzle flash! 

@Rob0115: in your opinion what's the most 'ergonomic' of the 10mm's you shoot?

I have a steel frame EAA Witness in .45acp that takes conversion slides.

I picked up a .22lr slide when my daughter got interested in shooting, and a 9mm slide when she wanted to shoot centerfire matches.

All this 10mm talk makes me think I should get a 10mm slide for me:

eaa-witness-steel-10mm-b.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

On 12/20/2019 at 8:55 PM, 45Doll said:

So I shot the Underwood rounds at the range Wednesday. Yes, it's a bigger bang. In fact one guy out of the three at the other end of the lanes came over to see what all the noise was and reported back to his friends 'he's shooting 10mm'.

The Underwood Range Supply 297 is a definite step up from the Magtech rounds I shot previously. They felt 'comfortable' out of the Glock 40, and my wife shot them too. I could shoot them for a while.

The 246 ammo felt slightly hotter but OK to shoot. The 231 was definitely a step-up! I wouldn't want to shoot them all day at 1600 fps. Here's where I suspect the ergonomics of a particular pistol might come into play.

But we did get a kick out of the boom and muzzle flash! 

@Rob0115: in your opinion what's the most 'ergonomic' of the 10mm's you shoot?

Discounting the wheel gun I’d say the 220 legion.  It’s jut silky smooth, heavy enough to handle the hotter stuff and great trigger.  After that I’d say the EAA Match Witness.