jasonx

firearm transfers between immediate family?

Am I correct in my understanding that immediate family members can transfer long guns between each other freely without needing to fill out forms or get background checks, provided the recipient possesses an FID card and is not a prohibited person (felon, etc...)?

Does this apply to handguns?

12 minutes ago, jasonx said:

Am I correct in my understanding that immediate family members can transfer long guns between each other freely without needing to fill out forms or get background checks, provided the recipient possesses an FID card and is not a prohibited person (felon, etc...)?

There is a box on the new p2p

i had to use the old form and just wrote the relationship. Yes I called NJSP fiu to verify 

39 minutes ago, jasonx said:

Supposed to do a COE for long guns between family but no background needed. Still need to use permits for handguns, no background.

10 minutes ago, siderman said:

Supposed to do a COE for long guns between family but no background needed. Still need to use permits for handguns, no background.

Is there a requirement to retain and produce on demand such a COE (or to file it with any government entity), by either the giver or recipient? Or can you just say, if questioned, "it's mine," and refuse to answer additional questions?

1 hour ago, jasonx said:

Is there a requirement to retain and produce on demand such a COE (or to file it with any government entity), by either the giver or recipient? Or can you just say, if questioned, "it's mine," and refuse to answer additional questions?

No requirement. In fact, when I gave up my NJFL, the NJSP FIU said to destroy the COEs. They didn't want them. It's really a waste of time, paper and ink.

10 hours ago, jasonx said:

Its really just a receipt "protecting" the seller from knowingly providing a physcopath with a gun and proof of legal disposition. For the buyer just proof of a legal purchase. There are some other remote protections like if that gun was later recovered in a crime it can be traced back to you (seller) via other existing pprwrk but you can prove its not yours...I just throw them in a file with all the other gun receipts, no harm no foul. That's all the filing there is.