Sniper

Do You Have Ring Video Doorbells or Ring Cameras....

Well, all your privacy is being given away...  for FREE, again...

...."Police officers who download videos captured by homeowners’ Ring doorbell cameras can keep them forever and share them with whomever they’d like without providing evidence of a crime, the Amazon-owned firm told a lawmaker this month.

More than 600 police forces across the country have entered into partnerships with the camera giant, allowing them to quickly request and download video recorded by Ring’s motion-detecting, Internet-connected cameras inside and around Americans’ homes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/11/19/police-can-keep-ring-camera-video-forever-share-with-whomever-theyd-like-company-tells-senator/

But... but, but.... "it's cool... my security video is stored on the Cloud and I can access it anywhere on my phone"...

Stupid.....

:scratchhead::banghead::dontknow: 

25 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Yup, that's why the camera system I'm getting ready to install at my home will use the Blue Iris software on run on a cheap-o dedicated PC.  No one else gets the video unless I give it to them, and it is crazy configurable as far as motion detection/alerts/geofencing.

Blue Iris is great.. I was going to go that route, but it's sounded expensive to run 24/7 unless you needed the PC power over a NVR.

@Sniper The article says the police woulr request the video.. do you if it's the user or Ring that grants access?

Damn newfangled contraptions. I don't trust none of these hi falooitin gizmos, no Facebook, twitter, clitter that cloudy sky up there or any other such thing. I already hate that I get followed on the computer and cell phone. And  Bezos has way too much control/info on just about everything between Ring, Amazon and the Wapo and who knows what else.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I have Nest doorbell cams,

So, you trust Google instead of Amazon to protect your privacy??

24 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

The article says the police woulr request the video.. do you if it's the user or Ring that grants access?

I believe I've read, it's automatic, unless you specifically opt out.

36 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Blue Iris is great.. I was going to go that route, but it's sounded expensive to run 24/7 unless you needed the PC power over a NVR.

@Sniper The article says the police woulr request the video.. do you if it's the user or Ring that grants access?

It's more electricity over a NVR, yes, but the extra functionality (get alerts with images sent to cell phone, log in remotely to web server and view video, have alerts/motion sensing change based on whether your cell phone is on the home network or not (geofencing), configure exactly how much video is saved for how long) is well worth it in my opinion

16 minutes ago, Sniper said:

So, you trust Google instead of Amazon to protect your privacy??

There is a difference between trust and "an acceptable risk" if you will. I truly debated getting them. For me I felt the benefit of a plug and play solution, with Google handling the infrastructure, ease of the app, etc.... was worth the slimmer chance of if being used for nefarious/unethical purposes. The benefits of having them so I can keep an eye on my property when away (going away on vaca was what made me finally decide to get them) outweighs the risks.

You clearly have a PC/Mac and/or "smartphone" since you're on this forum. You are already giving away information about yourself. There was a recent story about a trojan app which was able to take control of the camera/microphone on phones.

Every single aspect of life is a balance of risk/reward/convenience.

30 minutes ago, kc17 said:

You clearly have a PC/Mac and/or "smartphone" since you're on this forum. You are already giving away information about yourself. There was a recent story about a trojan app which was able to take control of the camera/microphone on phones.

Every single aspect of life is a balance of risk/reward/convenience.

And this is how our liberties, privacy and freedom are eroded every day.... for the convenience...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

It's more electricity over a NVR, yes, but the extra functionality (get alerts with images sent to cell phone, log in remotely to web server and view video, have alerts/motion sensing change based on whether your cell phone is on the home network or not (geofencing), configure exactly how much video is saved for how long) is well worth it in my opinion

For what it's worth, I 5 NVRs that I use every day with 51 cameras .  They all do most of these same functions, none store anything to the cloud.  I also have a Blue Iris license and I used it for a while but the computer ran out of ass when I started adding more and more cameras.  I felt that moving to different NVRs made sense since I was going to be scaling up even more and could just add more NVRs. I run 52TB of disk space across the 5.  Two have 16tb, the other three have 8tb each. 

I've filled up most of that lower one now(this pic is some months old) and will start on another NVR soon.

nvrs.jpg

3 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

In the event of a power outage will the PC boot and run the recording program automatically once power is restored ?

I'm looking t install a system but do not want Ring or Nest.

33 minutes ago, brucin said:

In the event of a power outage will the PC boot and run the recording program automatically once power is restored ?

I'm looking t install a system but do not want Ring or Nest.

In Blue Iris options, clip the 'Startup' tab.

You can run BI as a service, and it will always run when Windows starts. The interface will not be running, but everything else is still working. To view the cameras, double-click the BI pgm icon. Leave the interface running, or, close it to save a bit of cpu - the service will still be running and recording/motion/webserver... will still be running.

"Ring’s terms of service state that users must install the cameras so they do not “take any recordings beyond the boundary” of a user’s property, such as a public road or sidewalk."

Why is it a problem to record public spaces?

Article seems to say that one must opt in to this (although recognizing the source is WaPo):

"Ring allows users to decline police requests for video and does not directly identify them based on their refusal, which Huseman wrote would “eliminate the pressure implicit in receiving an in‐person request from police.” “Users must expressly choose to assist police, the same way they would traditionally answer the door or respond to a public request for tips,” he added."

Nothing to do with ring, but saw you guys talking about privacy. google is buying Fitbit and people are dumping the product due to privacy concerns.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/17/people-getting-rid-of-fitbits-after-google.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.Message

12 minutes ago, leahcim said:

“Users must expressly choose to assist police, the same way they would traditionally answer the door or respond to a public request for tips,” he added."

What the issue now is, the police can ask for access to your video, stating like there was a robbery or break in in the neighborhood, and are investigating. So many people may say yes... But, what they end up giving the LEOs is access to their last 45 days of recordings, and the LEOs can use them, send them  or save them however they want. They now have full control of your recordings.

So think about it, you have a argument with your wife 5 days earlier and it was captured on video/audio by Ring. Or, you make a comment when standing outside that you're going to slash your neighbor's tires if he parks in front of your house again. Or, you scream and yell at your kid for screwing up the car when out in the driveway.... all in the last 45 days..

Guess what, the LEOs now have all that video/audio, to use however they want.

So, you thought you'd be a good citizen in helping the LEOs find the thief, by giving them access to your recordings, to catch the bad guys.. but you just gave away a hell of a lot of evidence, that could be used against you in the future.

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

What the issue now is, the police can ask for access to your video, stating like there was a robbery or break in in the neighborhood, and are investigating. So many people may say yes... But, what they end up giving the LEOs is access to their last 45 days of recordings, and the LEOs can use them, send them  or save them however they want. They now have full control of your recordings.

So think about it, you have a argument with your wife 5 days earlier and it was captured on video/audio by Ring. Or, you make a comment when standing outside that you're going to slash your neighbor's tires if he parks in front of your house again. Or, you scream and yell at your kid for screwing up the car when out in the driveway.... all in the last 45 days..

Guess what, the LEOs now have all that video/audio, to use however they want.

So, you thought you'd be a good citizen in helping the LEOs find the thief, by giving them access to your recordings, to catch the bad guys.. but you just gave away a hell of a lot of evidence, that could be used against you in the future.

Understand, never agree to such access. 

4 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

google is buying Fitbit and people are dumping the product due to privacy concerns.

Wait, are you saying Google isn't concerned about helping people with their fitness tracking, but tracking something else?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sniper said:

How would anti-lock braking systems help?

Probably better to go with a UPS by APC.

I actually got what he meant. I understand Zeke speak.

• Thanks 1

This passive data collection is getting very bad,  From EZpass, ALPR readers , door bell cameras,  genealogy reports and so on.  EVERY bit of this info is being stored indefinitely in the data center at Bluffdale Utah and will probably soon be available for a fee to whomever wants to use it " for the children's safety ".

devices such as the ALPR readers set up throughout the country recording and storing every license plate that passes it by for future analysis ,      Genealogy data to be compared to for all future DNA comparisons VOLUNTARILY submitted to the vendor which there  is probably a 99.9999% going straight to a government agency.

every post you make on here being stored forever for future discovery by a rogue government for your prosecution. 

"Stellar Wind" storing every single bit electronic data possible on every single computerized communication which is provided by the company " illegally" that you pay for your phone/internet service.

be careful out there

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

so this blue iris.....can it be used with older cheapo cameras as long as there's an ethernet cable from the dvr to the router?

The cameras have to be compatible . 

Gonna have to check each one. 

They have to be IP cameras, so if you use a DVR, chances are they wont work. 

The system is supposed to eliminate the NVR, and utilize each camera on the network separately. So you would need to replace the NVR with a network switch that has enough ports for how many cameras you want. Excluding wifi cameras.