Sniper

Do You Have Ring Video Doorbells or Ring Cameras....

51 minutes ago, revenger said:

This passive data collection is getting very bad,  From EZpass, ALPR readers , door bell cameras,  genealogy reports and so on.  EVERY bit of this info is being stored indefinitely in the data center at Bluffdale Utah and will probably soon be available for a fee to whomever wants to use it " for the children's safety ".

devices such as the ALPR readers set up throughout the country recording and storing every license plate that passes it by for future analysis ,      Genealogy data to be compared to for all future DNA comparisons VOLUNTARILY submitted to the vendor which there  is probably a 99.9999% going straight to a government agency.

every post you make on here being stored forever for future discovery by a rogue government for your prosecution. 

"Stellar Wind" storing every single bit electronic data possible on every single computerized communication which is provided by the company " illegally" that you pay for your phone/internet service.

be careful out there

There is a little know or maybe not so little known site in Manhattan on the West Side in the mid 20's - a floor and or floors and areas within are manned by multi acronym agencies with a bunch of fed type, mil type and spook type guys coming and going - they even have cells and a shoot 'house' setup for training - armory etc.

Within the inner core of the space there is a very secure room - it has multiple CRAC units - and the space has a phrase for the unit that runs it for their team badge - ' Carpe Datum ' - with and outline of NYC skyline made up of 1's and 0's - 

See this space is a listening post - yep all they do is filter data through here and seize the data for future analysis - anything that flies on optical cable to the trunks goes through here in this area - and they grab it.  

As there are multiple type data mining centers here in NYC - one up on 10th - one in queens - another downtown etc.

All they do it manage and filter data - and the feds see it all - and I heard the NSA gets the cools stuff sent to them at FT Huachuca.....

You have ZERO privacy in this digital age.......

15 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

so this blue iris.....can it be used with older cheapo cameras as long as there's an ethernet cable from the dvr to the router?

Supposedly Blue Iris works with the majority of cameras that are ONVIF compatible.

Here's a list of tested cameras:

https://www.blueirisdownload.com/cameras.html

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

... So you would need to replace the NVR with a network switch that has enough ports for how many cameras you want. Excluding wifi cameras. 

I'm going to use a Cisco Catalyst 3560 network switch for my setup, both to connect/power the POE cameras and for my home networking.

It has 48 ports and auto-senses whether the device connected to a port needs Power-Over-Ethernet (POE) and provides it if it does.

It's plug and play - you can just plug it in and go, you don't have to get into the Cisco switch management software unless you want to do something custom with the network configuration.

They're available used for around $50 on ebay.  I bought two so I have one as a spare just in case the first craps out:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=323986632983&_sacat=0

(Tag @Brisco, you might be interested in this)

4 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

The cameras have to be compatible . 

Gonna have to check each one. 

They have to be IP cameras, so if you use a DVR, chances are they wont work. 

The system is supposed to eliminate the NVR, and utilize each camera on the network separately. So you would need to replace the NVR with a network switch that has enough ports for how many cameras you want. Excluding wifi cameras. 

yea. this system is at least 6 or 7 years old, and uses dvr. 

oohh…..so the video would be stored on the cloud? ferget that shit. I was only looking to be able to access my home wired cameras from work. I don't want anything stored on the cloud from them. my shop system uses an nvr, and everything's stored on that nvr. when it runs outta room, it starts over-writing the oldest stuff first. 

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

How much storage/days do you get before it starts overwriting?

I get just under a month. there's 8 cameras at the shop...…..3 indoors, 5 covering all the parking areas. the one in the office has a microphone. 

My wife just bought a Blink camera setup (without consulting me on it), I’ll have to research them a bit. I don’t know how they compare privacy wise to the others. 

We may be sending this back. 

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

yea. this system is at least 6 or 7 years old, and uses dvr. 

oohh…..so the video would be stored on the cloud? ferget that shit. I was only looking to be able to access my home wired cameras from work. I don't want anything stored on the cloud from them. my shop system uses an nvr, and everything's stored on that nvr. when it runs outta room, it starts over-writing the oldest stuff first. 

Nooo..

All video is stored locally on the PC's Hard Drive/s. Everything is just connected through your own personal network. So the cameras have to be network style and what ever encoding they do, the Blue Iris has to be able to decode. 

It's no different than a standard NVR, your PC just takes the place of the NVR.

If you use a POE network switch its a great way to set up a new system if youre not worried about using too much power. 

I was just looking at a Costco flyer. They have a 8 channel Lorex DVR system on sale with 8 - 5 MP cameras, 2 TB HD,  135 ft NV. This type of system would be fine for your average home or small business. Normally it's $499., but Costco membership has it on sale for $399.

https://www.costco.com/lorex-8-channel-4k-dvr-security-system-with-2tb-hdd-and-8-5mp-active-deterrence-cameras.product.100516863.html

Best part, the recordings are stored on YOUR property, NOT up in someone's cloud.

28 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I was just looking at a Costco flyer. They have a 8 channel Lorex DVR system on sale with 8 - 5 MP cameras, 2 TB HD,  135 ft NV. This type of system would be fine for your average home or small business. Normally it's $499., but Costco membership has it on sale for $399.

https://www.costco.com/lorex-8-channel-4k-dvr-security-system-with-2tb-hdd-and-8-5mp-active-deterrence-cameras.product.100516863.html

Best part, the recordings are stored on YOUR property, NOT up in someone's cloud.

I would only suggest that 8, 5mp cameras and a 2tb hard drive is going to get you about 3 days of recording.   I would see if I could buy the system without a disc and install at least an 8tb or whatever the most fits.  8TB should get you two weeks.

My general rule of thumb is that 1tb gets you 1 month on one camera at 1080p.    Also, most of those lower end NVRs like Lorex will be at 15fps(or 10fps) at 4k resolution.  This isn't a deal breaker, you just need to be aware of it.  I run a number of 4k cams but I scale them down one notch to 2.5k and bump the FPS to 30.  You can also adjust the bitrate down a bit.  They burn a tremendous amount of disc at 4k.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I would only suggest that 8, 5mp cameras and a 2tb hard drive is going to get you about 3 days of recording.   I would see if I could buy the system without a disc and install at least an 8tb or whatever the most fits.  8TB should get you two weeks.

Recording 24/7 or only recording on motion activation?

I believe that system can take up to 10TB hard drive or you can plug in an external USB HHD.

5 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

If anyone wants to know how this shit REALLY works ...pm me.

Jeffrey Epstein, is that you? :yahoo:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Recording 24/7 or only recording on motion activation?

I believe that system can take up to 10TB hard drive or you can plug in an external USB HHD.

Recording 24/7.   I've been doing Surveillance systems for some time now.   What I have found is that the motion activation is tough to get right, but possible. The larger issue is that I have had a camera catch something up in a  corner, way off in the distance that would never trip a motion detection but proved vital to solving the mystery.   This is why I run 24/7.   Actually, that's not quite true either, I run my outdoor cams 24/7.  The indoor cams on doors also run 24/7 but many others don't run when people aren't going to be present, keeping a +/- 60 minute window either side of that.

44 minutes ago, Malsua said:

The larger issue is that I have had a camera catch something up in a  corner, way off in the distance that would never trip a motion detection but proved vital to solving the mystery.   This is why I run 24/7.   Actually, that's not quite true either, I run my outdoor cams 24/7. 

I believe you're running the system in a commercial application, right? That makes sense for 24/7. I think many others here want them for residential applications, so when normally covering doors, windows or home perimeters, I think motion activation usually is OK.

I run my home systems on motion, and I agree, it can miss things on the far fringe areas, and has taken some time, to tweak the sensitivity and grid out some trigger items. But, recording on motion saves a ton of disk space, and makes it easier to find a "trigger" event.

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I believe you're running the system in a commercial application, right? That makes sense for 24/7. I think many others here want them for residential applications, so when normally covering doors, windows or home perimeters, I think motion activation usually is OK.

I run my home systems on motion, and I agree, it can miss things on the far fringe areas, and has taken some time, to tweak the sensitivity and grid out some trigger items. But, recording on motion saves a ton of disk space, and makes it easier to find a "trigger" event.

I run two 8 camera systems, one at each of my houses both with 8tb.    I also run the commercial systems as well.

The systems I run do also have motion detection while recording 24/7 so I can get events and go from there.   Internally at the business, motion is constant so not particularly useful.   Externally motion is helpful, but what is more helpful it just finding something there, then not there and narrowing down the time.   Like the mercedes pooper I posted the other day (you've been warned here -->).  https://youtu.be/nA1xFZdY9DM

I also have a Nest Hello on my Florida house.   Since that one uploads to the cloud, I suspect their super computer is figuring out what is real and what isn't, because it is perfect on sound and motion detection.   I turn the camera off when we are there.

I understand that not everyone can max out the NVRs but from experience, I can tell you that when motion missed something, it is really frustrating that you can't review it.

Also, for what it's worth, I run Western Digital Purple drives.  56 terabytes of them.   All work just great.    I had some early failures on regular, non surveillance drives and find the upcharge is small.

There's is always more to the story, what starts out looking like a good idea, turns into a monster:

Ring, the home security system developed by Amazon, is planning to build a database of neighborhood watchlists using facial recognition technology.

Documents obtained by the Intercept revealed that the company is working with law enforcement on a system that will identify people who are considered “suspicious,” and let Ring owners know when these individuals are near their home, using the facial recognition software built into the security system’s cameras.

Ring appears to be contemplating a future where police departments can commandeer the technology of private consumers to match ‘suspect’ profiles of individuals captured by private cameras with those cops have identified as suspect - in fact, exponentially expanding their surveillance capabilities without spending a dime,” Tajsar said.

These features are not unprecedented for Ring or Amazon. Earlier this year, Motherboard reported that Ring was encouraging its users to snitch on their neighbors in exchange for discounts and free products.

Well, this certainly gives new meaning to the phrase "Can you hear me now"?

Amazon’s Ring app shares loads of your personal info, report finds

Ring isn't the only company getting a ton of info about you and your setup.

Now, we have a new report to add to the pile: it seems the app that customers use to manage and control a Ring camera is sending all kinds of personal data around as well.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation took a deep dive into the Android version of the Ring app, which it determined to be "packed with third-party trackers sending out a plethora of customers' personally identifiable information." Moreover, the EFF adds, this data sharing happens "without meaningful user notification or consent and, in most cases, no way to mitigate the damage done."

The data collection is most troubling as part of a pattern of behavior by Ring, the EFF notes. The company kept the scope of its police partnerships under wraps until August, at which point reports from several media outlets tipped the company's hand.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/01/amazons-ring-app-shares-loads-of-your-personal-info-report-finds/

mature-man-with-glass-up-against-wall-ea

Never post anything or place anything on your phone or internet connected computer that you wouldn't be comfortable tacking to a bulletin board at your office.

We are all being tracked constantly.   If you have a smart phone, you are being tracked.  All your data is being sold.    If the convenience of what it offers is enough, just accept it and move on.  If it isn't, dump your smart phone for a flip or other dumb phone and get a pre-paid plan that you pay via gift cards or other anonymous methods.

Privacy is over.  It no longer exists. 

Until the heavy hand of government intervenes and legislates this behavior out of existence, it will continue.  That said, expect your doorbell cam to cost $1000 or more since it no longer is an income stream for the company that sold it to you.

• Informative 1

On 1/29/2020 at 2:25 PM, Malsua said:

Privacy is over.  It no longer exists. 

And the surveillance state gets bigger, for FREE.. coming to a neighborhood near you.... soon...

...."Now, our worst fears have been confirmed. Police in Jackson, Mississippi, have started a pilot program that would allow Ring owners to patch the camera streams from their front doors directly to a police Real Time Crime Center. The footage from your front door includes you coming and going from your house, your neighbors taking out the trash, and the dog walkers and delivery people who do their jobs in your street.

In Jackson, this footage can now be live streamed directly onto a dozen monitors scrutinized by police around the clock.

Even if you refuse to allow your footage to be used that way, your neighbor’s camera pointed at your house may still be transmitting directly to the police.

On 1/29/2020 at 2:24 PM, AlDente67 said:

Somewhat related...

You see the ads for the car insurance discount based on your driving style

Guy I know has it in his work van.  Got dinged for speeding (75 in a 65) on the turnpike.   Nobody does 65 on the turnpike.

i did once. heading up to buy a safe from someone in north jersey. i was tired and didn't feel well....but said i'd be there.....set the cruise control for 65 and hung in the right lane......constantly wondering when i was gonna get plowed into.......

Recall Alert - Not only do they spy on you, but they'll also burn down your house - Recall Alert

...."If you recently purchased a Ring Video Doorbell, take note. About 350,000 of the smart video doorbells are being recalled for potential fire and burn risks.

The recall is for the Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation), which is model number 5UM5E5, according to a recall notice posted Tuesday on the Consumer Product Safety Commission website.

"The video doorbell's battery can overheat when the incorrect screws are used for installation, posing fire and burn hazards," the notice says.

"Ring has received 85 incident reports of incorrect doorbell screws installed with 23 of those doorbells igniting, resulting in minor property damage," the recall says. "The firm has received eight reports of minor burns."

The affected doorbells were sold at electronics and home goods stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com and Ring.com between June and October 2020 for approximately $100.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/shopping/2020/11/10/ring-video-doorbells-recall-2020-second-generation-fire-risk/6241789002/

• Informative 1