Mrs. Peel

Movies Getting Buzz this Holiday Season...

It seems like there's 2 really great films coming out this season... I think we expect to see both of these featuring prominently in the Oscars:

First up, opening in theaters Dec 13th, is Richard Jewell by - still in great form @ 90-years young! - director Clint Eastwood. The movie is about the security guard at the 1996 Olympics who discovered pipe bombs and directed crowds away, arguably saving 1000s of lives, yet was wrongly accused of setting the bombs himself. As many of us might recall, he was utterly and savagely pilloried by the press & law enforcement which destroyed his reputation/life. Critics are raving about it!

Next up is 1917 directed by Sam Mendes. I've read several reviews that are saying it's the best war movie to come along in years and that it will undoubtedly be nominated (and probably win) an Oscar for cinematography in particular (Roger Deakins is the cinematographer). This looks like a really great one, too - not just a movie that looks amazing on the screen, but also a very absorbing story about 2 soldiers on a Hail Mary mission to head off the slaughter of 1600 troops. Opening in theaters on Christmas Day.  

22 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

No love for Frozen 2?  That’s about as close to a theater I’ll get. 

Saw it with my Daughter over the weekend.  Pretty good.

12 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

It seems like there's 2 really great films coming out this season... I think we expect to see both of these featuring prominently in the Oscars:

Next up is 1917 directed by Sam Mendes. I've read several reviews that are saying it's the best war movie to come along in years and that it will undoubtedly be nominated (and probably win) an Oscar for cinematography in particular (Roger Deakins is the cinematographer). This looks like a really great one, too - not just a movie that looks amazing on the screen, but also a very absorbing story about 2 soldiers on a Hail Mary mission to head off the slaughter of 1600 troops. Opening in theaters on Christmas Day.  

1917 had a tent outside at NY Comic Con - they showed off some of the sets and how they made certain shots.... It was pretty amazing.  They had huge sets made up with trenches and craters and shot a lot of scenes in one continuous shot.  I have no doubt it will win for cinematography. 

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, SW9racer said:

No time to go out, swamped with all the stuff on Disney+

My wife is really enjoying that channel, singing away and reliving her childhood...I even watched Mary Poppins with her last night lol. Seeing it with a new perspective vs being a kid, she's pretty cute!

15 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Mandelorian doesn’t take place anywhere near the core worlds. It’s out near the fringe.  Nowhere near Tatooine. 

the 30 minute episodes are frustratingly short. 

Yup. Used to movie length Stars stuff. But it is a great something different to watch.

2 hours ago, siderman said:

My wife is really enjoying that channel, singing away and reliving her childhood...I even watched Mary Poppins with her last night lol. Seeing it with a new perspective vs being a kid, she's pretty cute!

Yup. Used to movie length Stars stuff. But it is a great something different to watch.

And just about all upgraded to 4K HDR!!!

3 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Mandelorian doesn’t take place anywhere near the core worlds. It’s out near the fringe.  Nowhere near Tatooine. 

the 30 minute episodes are frustratingly short. 

Are you sure? That seemed like it was a desert with Jawa and the sand cruiser.

3 hours ago, siderman said:

Id settle for standard 50-60 min episodes. 25-35 minute episodes don’t have time for any pacing.  “Episode 10:  Mando drops a deuce and surfs his phone. The end”. 

The latest episode of the mandolarian was pretty good.

I like the Jack Ryan series. The first year was great..I'd say this second one is pretty good..it seemed a little short to me but worth checking out IMO

• Informative 1