kc17

MantisX says I suck

I finally splurged on a MantisX.

I'll start by saying I already knew I have an issue pushing in anticipation of the shot. I did a few dry fire sessions over a few weeks with overall scores in the 80s-90s. Did my first live fire session today; with a .22 and 9mm; about 300 rounds total. My MantisX scores were pretty bad; around 70-80 with the .22 and 50-60 with the 9mm.

I'm somewhat confused because the scores didn't seem to jive with hits on target. For the most part I had fairly consistent groups of 6-8" at 15 and 20 yards. At times a "perfect shot" (hit exactly where I was aiming) would score sub 30. Other times I'd completely miss the target yet the score would be in the 80s or 90s. How does that happen?!? I know a few people here have the MantisX, anyone have a similar experience? I intend to rig up a bench rest to use my next time out to see if that helps any. If I am pushing down as much as it claims, the rest should greatly reduce it.

I did learn that overall my sight picture and aiming is good. At one point I suddenly started consistently hitting way right. I then noticed the lock screw for the rear sight loosened and the sight shifted. I was back on target after I re-centered it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zeke said:

What?...I suck too...   

Although I dry fire every night at a spot on the wall specifically focusing on maintaining a clean sight picture while executing a smooth  trigger pull.   I use the itarget pro system at 7 and 10 yards for other practice at home (about forty "rounds" in a session) to get a feel for where the shots are hitting "down range".  Live fire is a different animal altogether.  While at the range try to focus on the same techniques you are using for dry firing, concentrate on site picture and breaking the shot while maintaining site alignment and don't worry about recoil.  I've also learned over time that most issues (at least mine) with pistol shooting stem from your grip on the gun....BUT... there are far better and professional shooters here that can help you....though whenever you're ready to have some fun....we can go to the range and shoot Zeke's guns to show him how to use them.   

#sigmuscleisbetterforbighungry.  #beersandwingsafter.  #HK>Sig.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bighungry618 said:

What?...I suck too...   

Although I dry fire every night at a spot on the wall specifically focusing on maintaining a clean sight picture while executing a smooth  trigger pull.   I use the itarget pro system at 7 and 10 yards for other practice at home (about forty "rounds" in a session) to get a feel for where the shots are hitting "down range".  Live fire is a different animal altogether.  While at the range try to focus on the same techniques you are using for dry firing, concentrate on site picture and breaking the shot while maintaining site alignment and don't worry about recoil.  I've also learned over time that most issues (at least mine) with pistol shooting stem from your grip on the gun....BUT... there are far better and professional shooters here that can help you....though whenever you're ready to have some fun....we can go to the range and shoot Zeke's guns to show him how to use them.   

#sigmuscleisbetterforbighungry.  #beersandwingsafter.  #HK>Sig.

My bad I thought you had the same gizmo.

I use the laserlyte. I have to angle the target because when I hit bullseye it reflects back into my eyes. I was worried my awesomeness would make me go blind.