We all know that, as far as purchasing, BB & pellet guns are treated the same as real firearms. Does the same apply to the use of same? Or is that up to individual municipalities? I'm speaking of an instance where someone is shoooting a BB gun in their backyard, in close proximity to other residences. Not exactly handling the gun safely either, but let's discount that and just concentrate on the core question.

What say you?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Which law specifically are you questioning? Will it be treated like firing an actual gun in close proximity to neighbors? I'd imagine so. That's a town ordinance thing. You'd have to check your town's ordinances to see the punishment. Many have limits as to how far you have to be from a house or school.

I called my town's PD about this a few years ago. I asked if I could shoot my Daisy Red Ryder at soda cans in my backyard. Behind my fence is woods. The cop on the phone said I could not shoot in my yard due to no discharge laws.

Now.... have I shot my Red Ryder at soda cans with my kids in the backyard?... yes, on many occasions.

Do I fear arrest and prosecution for shooting my Red Ryder in my backyard?...not really. I am able to shoot without my neighbors seeing me and we only shoot a few times a year. The sound from the Daisy is so quiet, I doubt it would register as a discharge with my indoor dwelling neighbors.  It is a risk I am willing to take. I certainly would not shoot a 1000 fps pellet gun in my back yard.

9 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

We all know that, as far as purchasing, BB & pellet guns are treated the same as real firearms. Does the same apply to the use of same? Or is that up to individual municipalities? I'm speaking of an instance where someone is shoooting a BB gun in their backyard, in close proximity to other residences. Not exactly handling the gun safely either, but let's discount that and just concentrate on the core question.

What say you?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What's ur neighbor doing that you don't like?

:)

is it worth jamming someone up over it with the local pd?

10 hours ago, GRIZ said:

@Pizza Bob based on the definitions in NJ Law IMO a bb or pellet gun would be held to the same standard as a regular firearm.  Whether or not a prosecutor wants to pursue such a thing is another story.

Those were my thoughts as well. Just wanted to see what the consensus was on the board.

Thanks.

Pizza Bob

Bob, I have neighbors on my side of the township that shoot (real) firearms on their property on a regular basis, including quite the session Sunday.  While I don't know what the ordinance is, I can't imagine that they'd repeatedly spend days shooting without getting complaints filed against them.  I also doubt that they have the proper approval to do it legally.  Of course they might "know" people.  Who knows.

31 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Bob, I have neighbors on my side of the township that shoot (real) firearms on their property on a regular basis, including quite the session Sunday.  While I don't know what the ordinance is, I can't imagine that they'd repeatedly spend days shooting without getting complaints filed against them.  I also doubt that they have the proper approval to do it legally.  Of course they might "know" people.  Who knows.

So, you don't know the ordnance, don't know the people, and don't know the situation surrounding the events. That makes them guilty of cronyism in you eyes? You should testify for Adam Schriff.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

So there are town ordinances and then the civility.

In "America" we have no issues shooting in your own yard, and occasionally people do.  The problem is, despite each neighbor having 2 acres or so, it is pretty annoying shooting something big. I have zero issues with people shooting with a suppressor.

What it boils down to, if your town allows it, and you are safe, there is nothing the neighbors can do, except give you headaches dragging you to town hearings, etc... Up to you at that point.  

If you have a big enough property, say 5 acres or more, and no neighbors close by, I doubt anyone will care, unless you are going crazy on a Sunday evening.

For NJ, fairly positive the vast majority of towns have no discharge laws.

Some years back, a customer's teenage son was shooting a pellet gun at a target in their backyard with his friend. Their next door neighbor apparently called the cops. Both kids were arrested and cuffed right in front of the kid's mother. I was working in the house at the time and saw this.

I would be careful in NJ with no discharge laws and liberal neighbors, and potential UnAmerican prosecutors and law enforcement... not worth it.  

42 minutes ago, Maksim said:

So there are town ordinances and then the civility.

In "America" we have no issues shooting in your own yard, and occasionally people do.  The problem is, despite each neighbor having 2 acres or so, it is pretty annoying shooting something big. I have zero issues with people shooting with a suppressor.

What it boils down to, if your town allows it, and you are safe, there is nothing the neighbors can do, except give you headaches dragging you to town hearings, etc... Up to you at that point.  

If you have a big enough property, say 5 acres or more, and no neighbors close by, I doubt anyone will care, unless you are going crazy on a Sunday evening.

For NJ, fairly positive the vast majority of towns have no discharge laws.

Having grown up in Pennsylvania, we never had any issues with shooting on private property.  On this side of the river, it's definitely a different issue.  I do know of a fellow township resident that is a member here who had to jump through hoops to get permission to legally be able to shoot on his own property.  Bob knows who he is, and I assume what he had to go through.  Of course his property is a lot different than those commonly found where Bob lives.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

A gun big enough to fire a cat?!?

Is it some kind of artillery piece?

A basic potato gun design scaled up to use a 4”* polyethylene pipe should work fine 

*6” for fat cats. 

:-)

• Agree 1

Technically the BB / Air rifle is a "Firearm" in the eyes of the state.

That being said, each town has it's own law regarding 'Discharge of a Firearm within City limits" or the like.

Could you get caught?  You could.

Would you get caught? Who Knows?

The chances lay between you, your neighbors and your luck..............

jmo

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, NickySantoro said:

Some years back, a customer's teenage son was shooting a pellet gun at a target in their backyard with his friend. Their next door neighbor apparently called the cops. Both kids were arrested and cuffed right in front of the kid's mother. I was working in the house at the time and saw 

Cuffing teenagers?  Teenagers can hurt you too.  I've seen many people of all ages arrested for non-violent things get violent when they were arrested.  A lot of LEOs have been injured by prisoners that were not cuffed.  The answer to this is to cuff all prisoners.

10 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

Having grown up in Pennsylvania, we never had any issues with shooting on private property.  On this side of the river, it's definitely a different issue.  I do know of a fellow township resident that is a member here who had to jump through hoops to get permission to legally be able to shoot on his own property.  Bob knows who he is, and I assume what he had to go through.  Of course his property is a lot different than those commonly found where Bob lives.

Yeah.  Still havent got the ok.   But this upcoming year i will.  But i shoot anyway when i have to.  If no one complains you’re good.  The local pd ok’d me.  It was just the twsp administrator that was being an ass.  Hes gone now so im going to get the “shooting gallery permit” this upcoming year.  Bob.  Im not sure what you’re getting at.  If its the new people next door    Or just a general question.  If its a twsp question.   I can probably answer it for you. 

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:12 PM, Golf battery said:

Yeah.  Still havent got the ok.   But this upcoming year i will.  But i shoot anyway when i have to.  If no one complains you’re good.  The local pd ok’d me.  It was just the twsp administrator that was being an ass.  Hes gone now so im going to get the “shooting gallery permit” this upcoming year.  Bob.  Im not sure what you’re getting at.  If its the new people next door    Or just a general question.  If its a twsp question.   I can probably answer it for you. 

I fished Amwell Lake Saturday.  Them Hunterdon County boys were blasting away at a nearby property.