Zeus2112

Gun safe help

Hello.

Looking for a small gun safe—big enough for 2-3 (or more) handguns. I've done a lot of research and can't seem to find one that isn't easily "defeatable" in some sense. I have a 12 yr old boy, so as he gets older, obviously want to make sure he can't just look on Youtube to find out that a straw/pen/ etc can easily open one of these safes. Would love to hear any thoughts.

thanks

I have a relatively inexpensive safe ($100) that has resisted entry by my ex-wife, or at least that is my suspicion.  It is a three number combination safe that I have been using since 2008.  It seems as though most of the safes in question are those that can be programmed.

3 hours ago, father-of-three said:

I have a relatively inexpensive safe ($100) that has resisted entry by my ex-wife, or at least that is my suspicion.  It is a three number combination safe that I have been using since 2008.  It seems as though most of the safes in question are those that can be programmed.

thanks, do you know who makes it? model?

Most of what I've found are either the electronic/biometric style, that also have a key—which seems to able to be "easily" defeated by watching any number of online videos. that's what I'm trying to avoid.

thanks

Just now, Zeke said:

Go another route and get a small combination safe.

thanks, that's what I've been thinking about. Haven't really found any that seem like they are sturdy enough/smart enough to not get hacked. If you have any that you know about, I'd love to have the models/makes.

thanks

4 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

I have a 12 yr old boy, so as he gets older, obviously want to make sure he can't just look on Youtube to find out that a straw/pen/ etc can easily open one of these safes.

Does he know you have the handguns? Putting them in a designated "gun safe" just advertises that there is something "good" in there.

Maybe consider some of the "hide in plain sight" or concealment furniture, and NOT advertise where they are.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

thanks, that's what I've been thinking about. Haven't really found any that seem like they are sturdy enough/smart enough to not get hacked. If you have any that you know about, I'd love to have the models/makes.

thanks

https://www.libertysafe.com/safe-home-safes-safes-ps-11.html

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

thanks, do you know who makes it? model?

Most of what I've found are either the electronic/biometric style, that also have a key—which seems to able to be "easily" defeated by watching any number of online videos. that's what I'm trying to avoid.

thanks

It's a standard combination safe that is cube-shaped, about 14x14x14.  I bought it at walmart many years ago.  I'm not a fan of walmart anymore, but a similar safe could probably be found in an office supply store or similar megastore.  I originally had it in a large closet out of site.   Granted, people look for things in certain places, and that is where the safe "hobby" can start to get expensive.  Similar safes have holes so you can attach them to the floor of wall.  I also load mine up with ammo and other heavy stuff to make it difficult to move.  It's not a perfect science,  but it's a start.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, father-of-three said:

It's a standard combination safe that is cube-shaped, about 14x14x14.  I bought it at walmart many years ago.  I'm not a fan of walmart anymore, but a similar safe could probably be found in an office supply store or similar megastore.  I originally had it in a large closet out of site.   Granted, people look for things in certain places, and that is where the safe "hobby" can start to get expensive.  Similar safes have holes so you can attach them to the floor of wall.  I also load mine up with ammo and other heavy stuff to make it difficult to move.  It's not a perfect science,  but it's a start.

Thanks all.

Not looking for "Fort Knox", or to protect from burglary, just from a potentially curious boy. He's not a criminal, so I'm not needing the sturdiest of safe's just something that will keep his potential curiosity at bay, and not something that can be defeated easily by watching a YouTube video. As-is now, the gun is trigger-locked, then locked in a Zero Halliburton combo case, so its secure, but my wife...Need to triple assure her.

11 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

I originally had it in a large closet out of site.   Granted, people look for things in certain places, and that is where the safe "hobby" can start to get expensive. 

That's always been my concern. I remember house shopping, and when looking at different houses, there were big gun safes in a closet or down the basement in some houses. Doesn't take much thought to know what was in them.

Then, thinking further, what if your safe is in the basement, and a HVAC guy comes in to work on your furnace? Or an electrician... or a plumber... or any outside person? How about the neighbors kids playing in the basement with your kid, and they tell others you have a big gun safe in the basement. Or, a house cleaner, painter, exterminator, etc. sees a big gun safe in the closet?

OPSEC in that situation is exposed and temptation from outsiders can grow...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

Thanks all.

Not looking for "Fort Knox", or to protect from burglary, just from a potentially curious boy. He's not a criminal, so I'm not needing the sturdiest of safe's just something that will keep his potential curiosity at bay, and not something that can be defeated easily by watching a YouTube video. As-is now, the gun is trigger-locked, then locked in a Zero Halliburton combo case, so its secure, but my wife...Need to triple assure her.

I will give you some free advice, teach the danger, embed the respect.

how I learned.

bb guns, not sooo much. Luckily no one lost an eye. And only 3 pumps rule

• Like 3

My only suggestion is to get a dial combo lock. Not a 3 or 4 digit combination lock. Way too easy to defeat. Also, if you want to know if the safe's been breached, wet a hair and stick it across the door opening someplace inconspicuous. 

I was 12 once. :crazy:

Also what Zeke said.

11 hours ago, Sniper said:

That's always been my concern. I remember house shopping, and when looking at different houses, there were big gun safes in a closet or down the basement in some houses. Doesn't take much thought to know what was in them.

Then, thinking further, what if your safe is in the basement, and a HVAC guy comes in to work on your furnace? Or an electrician... or a plumber... or any outside person? How about the neighbors kids playing in the basement with your kid, and they tell others you have a big gun safe in the basement. Or, a house cleaner, painter, exterminator, etc. sees a big gun safe in the closet?

OPSEC in that situation is exposed and temptation from outsiders can grow...

Yes.  Accessibility vs  concealability is a tricky balance.  I do like and have read articles of people who have installed safes in between wall studs behind pictures and things like that.  Very cool, but more expensive.  Stolen firearms are a problem in any state, but the attitude I will describe as the demonization of firearms ownership in New Jersey, can make one greatly overthink this "balance."

• Like 1

What am I supposed to do, convert every piece of furniture in my house to hold a firearm? lol. 

As a kid, I had more luck finding the hidden things around the house then getting into my own fathers safe(which never happened). 

Kids arent stupid, if there is no safe, where do you think they will look to find dads guns?

I think gun storage solutions are unique to each person.

15 hours ago, Sniper said:

Does he know you have the handguns? Putting them in a designated "gun safe" just advertises that there is something "good" in there.

Maybe consider some of the "hide in plain sight" or concealment furniture, and NOT advertise where they are.

I don't recommend plain sight hiding spots, as there is always a chance that it will be "found".  

Just now, Zeke said:

Also note. It is illegal to keep a loaded firearm within easy access of a minor. So hiding is definitely bad advice 

Thanks everyone. I actually don't even keep ammo in the house, as that was part of the "deal" I made with my wife, plus these are not for self defense, just range use.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

As a kid, I had more luck finding the hidden things around the house then getting into my own fathers safe(which never happened). 

Kids arent stupid, if there is no safe, where do you think they will look to find dads guns?

22 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I don't recommend plain sight hiding spots, as there is always a chance that it will be "found".  

Which why my FIRST question was, "does he know the guns exist"?

The kid won't search for something if he doesn't know they exist, versus wonder what's inside this nice shiny, exposed gun safe.

Why is reading comprehension always in such short supply?

21 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

Looking for a small gun safe—big enough for 2-3 (or more) handguns.

Sure about that 2-3? :D

OK now, seriously, if you're looking for something very secure but small check out used safes too. There's a number of dealers in the region. If it's a small one you want you might find a very good price point on a 'real' safe with a rated combination lock that won't take a moving crew to bring to your house.

22 hours ago, Sniper said:

The kid won't search for something if he doesn't know they exist, versus wonder what's inside this nice shiny, exposed gun safe.

He knows that one exists, it was recently given to me by my father, its a tiny .22. I don't advertise to him that I have another, so im just looking to keep them safely hidden, esp if he should get curious. Like I said, he's not a criminal, so not looking for something that he can't pry open, just something that the lock can't easily be defeated—like most I've seen on Amazon, etc.

22 hours ago, Sniper said:

This has nothing to do with reading comprehension,  LOL. Its basic logic. 

Most families that own guns dont hide that fact from their kids, in fact they introduce them to guns at early ages. 

Even if you dont, like my dad never did... kids are still curious. Not to mention, what happens when one day they figure it out? Your going to rush out and buy a safe? 

Forward thinking..

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Use a safe. Be reasonable in your physical security plans. But physical security is only half of the equation. The other half is comprised of equal parts education and honesty.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:40 AM, Sniper said:

Does he know you have the handguns? Putting them in a designated "gun safe" just advertises that there is something "good" in there.

That is quite possibly the worst advice I have ever heard. 

Don’t underestimate the curiosity of a child.

Instead, teach them young. Secure your firearms properly and teach them why they should be treated responsibly. Take the “mystery” out of them and the kids won’t care about what’s in the safe.

Mold your children into responsible young Americans and make them advocates for responsible gun ownership. Let’s bring back the “gun culture” that is so sorely lacking in our State and our nation. Let’s remove “Gun Owner” as dirty word in society.

If you hide youR firearms and never speak about them, they take on a mythical life of their own. If you don’t teach your kids about them, they won’t know what to do if they find one. They won’t be able to shrug off the daily assaults by the media, by politicians, by educators, by the liberal parents of their friends.

Every time my kid asks about a firearm I stop whatever I am doing and take the time to explain firearms safety. I go over appropriate uses for firearms and open the safe so he can see anything he wants. We talk about what we do and do not talk about outside the family, outside our home. These conversations change as he gets older.

But, because we talk about them, I know he knows what to do if his friends ask about them. He knows what to do if he comes across one outside our home. He knows what to do when we are out as a family. He is now resistant to any “re-education” society and the modern day school system tries to put in his path.

None of that would be possible, if guns were a dirty secret in our home.

Since when has secrecy and exclusion within a household ever worked out better than education, wisom, and experience?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1