Hey All,

Newbie to this forum from Manalapan. 

Been shooting a few months with different guns at the range by renting. I am waiting for the Manalapan PD to let me know when I can pick up my ID, and permits which I have been approved for.

I am thinking of buying 2 guns, one will be a glock 17 or 19, not sure of the other one I should buy.

Plus I would need ammo, targets, etc

Any suggestions on a decent 9mm gun, and what other accessories I need, and where to buy, online or at local shop would be appreciated.  

I’m rather partial for to the Glock 19, probably the most popular 9mm handgun. 

I don’t know if a good dealer in your area, but I’m sure someone will chime in with a suggestion. I believe we have a ‘find a dealer’ function on the site...

Oh, and welcome to the forum. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’m rather partial for to the Glock 19, probably the most popular 9mm handgun. 

I don’t know if a good dealer in your area, but I’m sure someone will chime in with a suggestion. I believe we have a ‘find a dealer’ function on the site...

Oh, and welcome to the forum. 

Thank you for your welcome.

Yes I know the 19 is the most popular one sold, but a lot buy it for concealment reasons over the 17 which is bigger.

I will be using my guns for target practice, and home defence only.

Maybe one day I will make the move into a state not so Nanny that I can have a carry firearm, lol  

I would say the 17 over the 19 since you won't conceal carry and are limited to 10 rounds. Longer sight radius and barrel. And if you do move to a free state you can upgrade to a 17-round mag.

Next up look at the Walther PPQ (M1 or M2) and the H&K VP9.

The M&P 2.0 9mm with 4" barrel (12464) is also very good if you like the more aggressive grip texture. You can get that one with or without a thumb safety. I prefer without.

Happy hunting.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I would say the 17 over the 19 since you won't conceal carry and are limited to 10 rounds. Longer sight radius and barrel. And if you do move to a free state you can upgrade to a 17-round mag.

Next up look at the Walther PPQ (M1 or M2) and the H&K VP9.

The M&P 2.0 9mm with 4" barrel (12464) is also very good if you like the more aggressive grip texture. You can get that one with or without a thumb safety. I prefer without.

Happy hunting.

Thank you

I was looking at the H&K VP9 in a gun shop, and will rent one soon to check out at the range. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

1911 is my standard answer to the "what should I get" question and it's always the correct answer 

Well that's a good point. The OP didn't say if he was open to a 2nd caliber and I just assumed he was sticking with 9mm.

And of course there's lots of 1911 platforms out there in 9mm as well.

If we're including 45 ACP, then I have to throw in the Sig P220 and the PPQ 45.

I think this explains why at one point I said "We're gonna need a bigger safe."

36 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

You can never go wrong with a Beretta 92. Also a fan of the VP9.

+1 the Beretta 92/ M9 series. I had a Sig P226/MK25 variant, and it turned me off to the steel/ aluminium guns because it was top heavy. Also, unique to Sig, I didn't care for the high bore axis, and it did not point naturally for me.

I recently picked up a M9, and I have fallen in love. It has me contemplating a 92X. Great ergos, fast to acquire sights and balanced.

• Agree 1

Being the resident revolver geek, I would be remiss if I didn't say your second gun should be a wheel gun. And, if you really must have the second be a 9 mm, then look at a S&W 986 or come out and play with the big boys with a 929.

Welcome to the forum.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Agree 1

I'm not a Glock fan myself (don't like the ergonomics of them). I think you're doing the right thing renting and trying. I believe you will never know if you really like a gun until you've shot a few hundred rounds. I'm partial to M&P myself, but I've been contemplating a SIG next.

Monmouth Arms is right down the road from you and Steve @remixer is a good guy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

When I bought my first Glock, I felt the same way as you, and bought a full size (G22). 

I’ve since found that I prefer the mid size G19/23’s...more concealable if you move to a free state, and standard capacity mags hold 15rounds. 

Handguns are all a very personal choice, but if I was starting out in handguns again, I’d start with a G19. I suggest you rent a variety of pistols and see what fits you best before you buy. 

• Agree 1

OK Smokie, you get the drift now? None of us owns just one pistol!!! Or revolver! (Bob! Yes I have several.)

If you catch the bug, you'll end up owning more than two as well.

Shoot whatever you can before you buy. Then go for it. It won't be your last purchase.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, fishnut said:

1911 is my standard answer to the "what should I get" question and it's always the correct answer 

There's a lot to like with a 1911 in 9mm.  It's a sweet shooter.  115 grain ball ammo is so cheap it's not worth reloading.

Whatever you do, though, particularly for a first pistol, is go with a "name" manufacturer; something you recognize, like Glock, S&W, Ruger, Sig, Browning, etc. Some of the lesser-known manufacturers do turn-out a quality product, but starting-out, you're better-off with something common that has an established parts/accessories/repair pipeline.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

13 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Not a big fan of the tapered underlug, prefer the classic look.

As the resident revolver guru, Your thoughts?

While I realize that aesthetics play a big part in firearm selection, when it comes to 9 mm revolvers you really don't have much choice if you want a full-sized gun. The 986 and 929 are about the only game in town. Wider selection with short-barreled guns, again with the 986 and the Ruger LCR / LCRX - and in the secondary market: S&W 940 & 547 and Ruger SP101. If you handload, you can have a .38 or .357 converted with an additional cylinder, but then you need to handload so that you can incorporate .357 diameter bullets, although .355" will give OK accuracy out of a barrel meant for .355" bullets. And if expense is no object, there's always the Korth.

So if the tapered underlug is a dealbreaker, I'd say that you are SOL.

For USPSA and ICORE I'll be switching to a 9 mm 929 as soon as I get it back from my gunsmith, who is performing some extensive modifications to the gun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

18 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Longer sight radius and barrel.

^ This.

In case it's not clear this generally means easier to aim/better accuracy.  Since you won't be trying to conceal it there's no benefit to going small.  As you seen from everyone's else's post, there are many quality firearms out there, find one that fits your hand and feels great, and if you get a chance to try it out, shoots well for you.

I would say the best "value" in a handgun for someone on a budget would be the S&W M&P 2.0 Compact.  It IS the Glock alternative with better ergonomics and iron sights and a decent trigger.  The Beretta 92 is a fine gun, but would be more suitable for big hands and the slide safety, not my favorite....  For a first and second handgun, I would probably stick with two that have the same action.  If you go the Glock route the 17 would be a fine choice, but as pointed out, many prefer the Glock 19 size (which is the same as the M&P 2.0 Compact) and would still be plenty viable as a home-defense handgun and the additional mag size of the 17 cannot be utilized in NJ, anyway.  A full-size M&P 2.0 might be nice, too, with a 4.2" barrel, but I would prefer a 2.0 Compact.   As PB pointed out, a 9mm revolver might be an interesting second choice if you want a different action (and because 9mm is a lot cheaper than alternatives).  Perhaps my favorite is the venerable Ruger Speed Six in 9mm for a revolver.  I am not familiar with newer SIG semi-autos, but I prefer the lower bore axis on the Glocks and M&Ps than older examples I have handled of that well-made brand.  A 229 is a nice gun.  A CZ in any flavor would be a fine gun, but a Glock for parts practicality, home gunsmithing, etc. just makes more sense.  And, the alternate striker from  S&W (an American company) has a lot of aftermarket accessories, too.  Since you are limited to 10 rounds in the Republik, you may at least want to checkout a Glock 47 (thin Glock 19) and an M&P 2.0 Shield might be interesting.  The sky is the limit and caliber choice should be considered as well.  For me, 9mm makes the most sense.  Everyone is giving you an opinion of what they like, so I will give you mine.  I would ask for 3 permits instead of 2 and pay the extra $2 and get something in .22LR besides my other two choices.  I would seriously consider getting two copies of the same gun, two Glock 19s for example, or a 19 and a 17(or 26), or an M&P 2.0 9mm and a 2.0 Compact for my range and defensive pistol.  My choice would be two M&P 2.0 Compacts, one with a 4" barrel and one with a 3.6" barrel.  Sometimes you can get the safety version (NOT the Massachusetts Trigger) at a cheaper price.  I've even found the 15-round version cheaper than the 10-round version AND buying two 10-round magazines.  Even though a gunsmith could modify to 10 most vendors will not ship to NJ. 

Why?  To me feels better in the hand and is a better value than a Glock. Use the savings to get mags, a safe, etc..  Both share the SAME magazines, win win,  both have the same operation, win, win...   The hinge trigger isn't my personal favorite, but it still feels better than the rough Glock one, and the nice ergonomics and grippy surface are a win.  ONLY thing with M&P is it is more difficult to upgrade the sights. 

By the way, welcome and good luck.  My choice for a 22LR would be a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 or 22/45 Lite, although any Ruger Mark II or IV would fit the bill.   Or even a Mark III, but I would get some aftermarket parts to make it more like a Mark II.  Grabagun is a good outlet with quick shipping, etc.  Gun.deals and Gunbroker.com are good ways to find online pricing.

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-mp9-m2-0-cmpct-9mm-10-1-4-fs.html

https://grabagun.com/ruger-mkiv-22-45-22lr-5-5-bl-sy.html

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I would say sig p320 or cz p-01 for 9mm, don't really think there are any other options all things considered. 

sig gives you modularity, standard issue for mil so you will have huge aftermarket support, balanced, reliable and very accurate

cz gives you unrivaled reliability, metal, accuracy, and natural point of aim

Second is most definitely a wheel gun.  Might I suggest the 686

• Informative 1

On 12/11/2019 at 9:51 PM, SMOKIE901 said:

Now 2 days later from picking up my permits I went out tonight, and bought a Sig P320 X FIVE LEGION

78870120_182019429584791_1464642439879852032_o.jpg

Who had it in stock and did they have more. Waiting on permits to pick one up myself. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1