shufly

45 acp semi wad cutters

3 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Bullets or loaded ammo?

First I’ll want loaded, just wanna try the gun out, then if I decide to keep I’ll load,    Got a screaming deal on a les baer 1911, they had it listed as 45 acp, but after looking Into it, its setup to shoot semi wads only right now 

I can't imagine that a gun set-up for SWC's (assume like H&G 68's) would not feed ball. Although if it is set-up for bullseye, you may want to change the recoil spring first. 

I used to shoot IPSC with Les back in the mid-80's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/1/2019 at 5:24 PM, Pizza Bob said:

I can't imagine that a gun set-up for SWC's (assume like H&G 68's) would not feed ball. Although if it is set-up for bullseye, you may want to change the recoil spring first. 

I used to shoot IPSC with Les back in the mid-80's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yea les got back to me saying I can shoot reg ball Ammo  if I swap out to a 18lb spring, still gunna send it back to them, it was built in 03, an no one knows anything about it.  So I figure I’ll let them go over it an replace anything 

Once other question since u seem to know a lot,  you know anything thing about building a smolt? Think I wanna build one   From what I seen most we’re using a smith 19 frame 

On 12/1/2019 at 5:17 PM, shufly said:

First I’ll want loaded, just wanna try the gun out, then if I decide to keep I’ll load,    Got a screaming deal on a les baer 1911, they had it listed as 45 acp, but after looking Into it, its setup to shoot semi wads only right now 

Post a pic of the gun....45 acp is 45 acp..whether setup for bullesye as @Pizza Bob has said or other use.

45 acp ball hp wadcutter..from 165gr to 230..should all function fine..providing it is sprung properly...

I shoot 200gr hg68 type heads all day for target use in all my 1911's....and they run ball 230 fine...

They shouldn't need to replace anything....at all...  cept maybe the recoil spring if it is setup for light loaded target ammo

2 hours ago, shufly said:

Once other question since u seem to know a lot,  you know anything thing about building a smolt? Think I wanna build one   From what I seen most we’re using a smith 19 frame 

Thank you for the compliment....seem?? Never really had any desire to go down the Frankengun road. Ask yourself: To what end? Other than cosmetics I really don't see the point, it's expensive and garners no benefit. Take the money you would spend on a project like that and have 586/686 fully worked. Take the change and buy ammo so you can become proficient. Given what Pythons are going for these days, the barrels are probably selling for twice what they are actually worth too.

If I haven't talked you out of this idea, I'd look into Pinnacle High Performance in Quakertown, PA as a gunsmith who could undertake such a conversion. He's good and has the added benefit of being close enough that you could transport the gun to and from, which could save you a considerable amount.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@USRifle30Cal    Les said it was built in 03, setup for 185 grain semi wad cutters, it should have a 13 pound spring install,   They said for me to shoot reg ball Ammo I would just need to replace spring to a 18lb.   I can finally picked the gun up tomorrow.   I ordered two boxes of ammo so I’m gunna try it an see what it’s got.

@Pizza Bob   I’ve always Wanted a case hardened revolver, so I figure why not build something that’s pretty cool that I can shoot, I know I’m gunna dump money into it but it won’t gain or lose valve, an it will be something that’s built to what i like.  I have a couple pythons that I won’t shoot, an just picked up two mint 29-3’s one of which was worked. I will reach out to them an see if it’s something they would want to take on.    Thanks 

7 hours ago, shufly said:

@USRifle30Cal    Les said it was built in 03, setup for 185 grain semi wad cutters, it should have a 13 pound spring install,   They said for me to shoot reg ball Ammo I would just need to replace spring to a 18lb.   I can finally picked the gun up tomorrow.   I ordered two boxes of ammo so I’m gunna try it an see what it’s got.

@Pizza Bob   I’ve always Wanted a case hardened revolver, so I figure why not build something that’s pretty cool that I can shoot, I know I’m gunna dump money into it but it won’t gain or lose valve, an it will be something that’s built to what i like.  I have a couple pythons that I won’t shoot, an just picked up two mint 29-3’s one of which was worked. I will reach out to them an see if it’s something they would want to take on.    Thanks 

....if you are going to run 230gr ball...make sure it is sprung properly prior to shooting it ....i wouldn't shoot 230s on 13lb...as @Pizza Bob amd the builder has stated......change the spring....   

16 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

....if you are going to run 230gr ball...make sure it is sprung properly prior to shooting it ....i wouldn't shoot 230s on 13lb...as @Pizza Bob amd the builder has stated......change the spring....   

Yep I bought two boxes of the semi wad cutters.  Gunna shoot that them then send it into baer for an overhaul, spent an hour last night cleaning the shit out of it, it was Filthy

1 minute ago, shufly said:

Yep I bought two boxes of the semi wad cutters.  Gunna shoot that them then send it into baer for an overhaul, spent an hour last night cleaning the shit out of it, it was Filthy

I am not questioning your desire to send it in...but to what end?

There is nothing he is going to overhaul that i can see...  springs..sure...  check extractor tension..sure (you can do that)...barrell lockup (ok u cam do that too)  detail strip and clean...(you can do that too)!

A properly built and sprung 1911 of modern quality can run for 10s of thousands of rounds...

Now if the old owner was a bullseye shooter the barrell is probably leaded...  that is the one item that needs attention...

Before you send it in...what are you thinking he is overhauling?  Just curious....

11 hours ago, shufly said:

I’ve always Wanted a case hardened revolver, so I figure why not build something that’s pretty cool that I can shoot, I know I’m gunna dump money into it but it won’t gain or lose valve, an it will be something that’s built to what i like.

Case hardened or color case hardened? Am I missing something here? I also seriously doubt that you will ever get any ROI or even break even on a Smolt. The best is to buy one already built and let the original owner take the hit.

OTOH, I don't buy guns as an investment - they are a poor one - I buy them because I like them. Will they go up in value? Hopefully, but that's not the point.

If you are after a color case hardened gun, check out offerings from the S&W Heritage Series. Here's my Model 24-5 (.44 S&W Special)

Slide27.jpg

The CCH on these was done by Doug Turnbull - the best in the business.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1