Mrs. Peel

Emergency water containers for freezing temps...

16 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Ya so 3x8 = 24 unless you’re troll

then 220x24 = 5,280 or under. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the start up was about that. 2-3x operational specs. Falls in line with people I know who had issues with genny's rated lower than that burnt their pumps up.

8 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the start up was about that. 2-3x operational specs. Falls in line with people I know who had issues with genny's rated lower than that burnt their pumps up.

There is all kinds of other math involved.

but the breaker size makes it simple stupid.

Back to water. I takes a hell long time to freeze 50 gallons, water has the best caloric retention of anything, next in line is soapstone. Soapstone blocks used to be used as bed heater’s back in @GRIZ formative years.

I digress, remember flushing da toilet, if you are septic. That doesn’t need to be potable water

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sniper said:

How about getting the flushing water from a different source, like a pool, pond or rainwater?

I was planning on doing this next summer with big 50 gallon drums. I want to tie in my gutters to collect rain water primarily for my garden..  but also have that non potable water for other usages. 

Apparently  stealerships go through massive amounts of windshield washer fluid, and it comes in big durable blue 55 gallon drums. If ya know someone might be able to get one for free.

Maybe add some water softener salts to drop the freezing point?

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Its Double  240v I want to say 30amp, but I think the min is 15amp.

Your genny has more than enough "umph" for the well pump, but you kinda got skrued with a 30A 240 outlet.  A genny that size should have a 50A outlet. Instead of the winding being tapped for a 50A circuit, I'm guessing it is two 110V 15Amp circuits combined.  Which means the 30A circuit is shared with the 15A circuits. 

Look at it this way.  Your genny has the potential to push 83 "peak" Amps.  Your well pump demands 24A on startup (that still seems kinda high for a 3/4 HP motor.).  If every appliance kicked on at the same time, there would still be 59A available to them after the pump gobbles up what it needs to start.  

Of the half dozen3/4 Hp 220V motors I checked the specs on, they generally require about 5 to 5.5 Full Load Amps (FLA).

As a "rules of thumb" amps horsepower rating can be estimated to

• 115 volts motor - single-phase : 14 amps/hp
  • 230 volts motor - single-phase : 7 amps/hp
  • 230 volts motor - 3-phase : 2.5 amps/hp

So, if a 230V 1 HP motor is rated at 7 FLA and 21 startup amps max.  Then a 3/4 HP should demand 5.25 Amps at full running load and just under 16 Amps, or, about 3,500 surge watts on startup.

Something else I noticed is that most 208/230V motors run on 50Hz instead of the 60Hz we are familiar with.  If the motor is set up for 50Hz, it can still be used on a 60Hz supply.  However, two things are going to happen.  1) it will run 20% faster and 2) it will run less efficiently, drawing more current than is needed and will convert electrons to heat instead of work.

I dunno man.  Something isn't adding up here.

8 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Apparently  stealerships go through massive amounts of windshield washer fluid, and it comes in big durable blue 55 gallon drums. If ya know someone might be able to get one for free.

You can score 55gal and 20gal drums all day long at a car wash.  Ya don't even have to ask, if they are by the dumpster.

@Scorpio64

Your numbers are correct. I just double checked everything. It's been a long week.. 

Pump is on a double 20v breaker. Rated 230v 50hz. Input is 240v at 60hz.. well within operation specs..

Max amp draw is 16amps.. so under 4kw. 

And yes, the damn genny runs a 240v 2 pole 30 amp breaker... that's only 7200watts... and its rated for 8K/10ksurge. 

I guess I could plug stuff directly  into the genies 120v lines but that defeats the purpose. I dont think they are shared since the 2 120 lines each have gfci circuit @20amps

I should blow a breaker if I have too much running and the pump  kicks in. 

3 hours ago, Sota said:

it's  interlockkit.com

I've put several in for friends and family.

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

That’s what I said 

Really?

11 hours ago, Zeke said:

Interlockswitch.com

Is English your second language?

It's also sad that some people think rain water and pond water is potable.

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

It's also sad that some people think rain water and pond water is potable.

Rain water is actually quite good, IF your collection and storage apparatus is clean and sanitized (I know, rarely the case), and if you don't collect until 30 minutes or so into a given rainstorm, which gives time for most of the particulates and microbes in the local atmosphere to be washed out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Rain water is actually quite good, IF your collection and storage apparatus is clean and sanitized (I know, rarely the case), and if you don't collect until 30 minutes or so into a given rainstorm, which gives time for most of the particulates and microbes in the local atmosphere to be washed out.

Yup rainwater is definitely potable. I lived in an apartment on the top of a victorian home in pittstown and had a  rainwater collection cistern. Also where I stayed in the bush in Belize we had rainwater cistern, my wife and I drank it and did not get sick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fishnut said:

Yup rainwater is definitely potable. I lived in an apartment on the top of a victorian home in pittstown and had a  rainwater collection cistern. Also where I stayed in the bush in Belize we had rainwater cistern, my wife and I drank it and did not get sick

Well, not that you know of, those parasites can lay dormant for decades.  Did you ever watch that show monsters inside me?

7 hours ago, fishnut said:

Yup rainwater is definitely potable.

The CDC might disagree...

....." While useful for many things, rainwater is not as pure as you might think, so you can’t assume it’s safe to drink. Rain can wash different types of contaminants into the water you collect (for example, bird poop on your roof could end up in your water barrel or tank). Rainwater can carry bacteria, parasites, viruses, and chemicals that could make you sick, and it has been linked to disease outbreaks 3-4.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/rainwater-collection.html

While the CDC is a bit misleading on the issue, rainwater itself is fine to drink even with atmospheric impurities. I would avoid it in areas that have acid rain tho..

I would never drink rain water for the simple purpose that you have little control over what ends up in there due to the water collection system itself. This is what the CDC is referring to. Their citations include rain water from a household roof system... which i would think doesn't need further explanation. The contamination is not in the water, but mixes with it during collection. 

You could always treat and filter the water though. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

While the CDC is a bit misleading on the issue, rainwater itself is fine to drink even with atmospheric impurities. I would avoid it in areas that have acid rain tho..

I would never drink rain water for the simple purpose that you have little control over what ends up in there due to the water collection system itself. This is what the CDC is referring to. Their citations include rain water from a household roof system... which i would think doesn't need further explanation. The contamination is not in the water, but mixes with it during collection. 

You could always treat and filter the water though. 

https://extension.psu.edu/rainwater-cisterns-design-construction-and-treatment

My water was sand filtered and the roof had a roof washer system much like the system outlined in the link provided. I highly doubt that many people just drink unfiltered water that runs off a dirty roof. Rainwater collection for potable water is much more common than many know. 

Who trusts the CDC anyway the majority of the info they put out is misleading at best. 

40 minutes ago, fishnut said:

My water was sand filtered and the roof had a roof washer system much like the system outlined in the link provided. I highly doubt that many people just drink unfiltered water that runs off a dirty roof.

I'm sure @Mrs. Peel is out right now, buying all that gear and hiring the necessary contractors for installation, so she can start collecting water from her roof for emergency situations, instead of buying 12 cases of water at $3/case.

43 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Who trusts the CDC anyway the majority of the info they put out is misleading at best. 

Exactly. I understand there's this guy in New Hampshire that knows so much more than they do. He's the TRUE expert in all subjects.

Gentlemen! (And I use the term loosely, lol)… stop squabbling! It's a friendly thread. Hell, I didn't even start the other thread yet (where we can talk about my ability to fight off the inevitable zombie horde that will form AFTER the EMP knocks the grid down).

On that thread, I'll expect a certain level of feistiness, natch! But not this one....