Greenday

Case Mark Signs

Fired some 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday. Loaded it based on Sierra's manual.

2.810" C.O.A.L.

Fresh Starline brass

Hodgdon H4350 40gr (RCBS Charmaster, double checked on my Lee Safety Scale). Hodgdon says 38.8-41.5gr. Sierra says 39.2-41.9gr. Saw a lot of people having success between 41-41.5gr so I thought I'd back it off a grain.

142gr SMK

Well, as you can see at 100 yards indoors, it proved accurate. But I have some questions about the brass and I've seen some ambiguous things online.

20191202_215417 - Unused brass, brand new.

20191202_215449 - Once fired, loaded as mentioned.

20191202_21439 - Primers of those three rounds.

20191202_215707 - Once fired American Eagle 120gr OTM

So for the once fired, Starline brass, I see three lines all about the same distance. Is this from pressure? The primers look normal as pictured. I see no issues the rest of the cases. Read https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2015/08/12/reloading-101-case-diagnostics/ and It looks like example #5. It looks cosmetic and there's no bulge.

Am I just imagining things and this isn't actually an issue at all? Just want to be thorough and check with other people experienced in reloading.

20191201_165700.jpg

20191201_165704.jpg

20191202_215417.jpg

20191202_215449.jpg

20191202_215459.jpg

20191202_215707.jpg

*Sigh*

I weep for your co-workers. I do. 

So you ask a question about primers and NEVER TELL US THE GODDAMNED PRIMERS YOU USED IN YOUR LOAD!!!! 

For fucks sake man, work with us here. 

Since it is starline with the SR it's small rifle. 

If  you are shooting thinner primers like the remington 6 1/2 primers. Don't do that. If you don't have pinhole ruptures of the primer, you will at some point given 6.5 creedmore's pressure.  They will blow out on hot .223 loads and 6.5 creedmore max pressure is 65k vs 55k for .223. 

Here's a web page with the various primer stats. 

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

Basically if loading SRP format I'd stick to remington 7 1/2 or cci 450, br4, or #41 primers, and I'd stick with the more conservative loading data. 

If you are using one of the thicker SRPs, then to me that just looks like you are dealing with a sloppy firing pin hole dimension vs firing pin diameter and the brass doesn't look stressed, however your pics are more like you want to have a romantic dinner with your brass rather than inspect them thoroughly. 

If you want to be extra careful, check your bolt face for any scorch marks/erosion. For the brass, take a paperclip unfold it and bend one end to a small L. Probe the case wall above the case web form the inside of the case, and if it feels like it catches hard in a doughnut around the case head.. congrats, you beat the crap out of your brass and should get some more and back off on the loads. But I doubt the brass is messed up given the fact that SRPs should fail well before loadings that will FUBAR your brass. 

Also, I highly suggest picking up the lee reloading manual and read the first half that isn't load data. It's cheap and very informative. 

Given 6.5 creedmore is a big case for small rifle primer, and intended for accuracy,  I'd go with the remington  7 1/2 br primers. They are benchrest primers, very consistent and produce a hefty flame kernel to light up that much powder. 

I had use CCI 400 primers. Though it wasn't really a question about primers. It's the cases I was more concerned about. Primers look good to me but I can switch to thicker ones. From what I've read, Starline small primer still has a larger flash hole.

Given the precision of the rounds, I don't see any really reason for going higher with loads. I'll probably experiment between 39.5-40gr. I see people online saying their normal 6.5 CM load is 43gr of H4350 but I'm fine where I'm at.

14 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Do you have a saami case gauge for the caliber?

Yes, I checked every round just to be certain before using them. No issues. It seems just like a cosmetic thing but I wanted to be sure.

29 minutes ago, Greenday said:

I had use CCI 400 primers. Though it wasn't really a question about primers. It's the cases I was more concerned about. Primers look good to me but I can switch to thicker ones. From what I've read, Starline small primer still has a larger flash hole.

Given the precision of the rounds, I don't see any really reason for going higher with loads. I'll probably experiment between 39.5-40gr. I see people online saying their normal 6.5 CM load is 43gr of H4350 but I'm fine where I'm at.

Yes, I checked every round just to be certain before using them. No issues. It seems just like a cosmetic thing but I wanted to be sure.

Plunk each one into the gauge...what do you see

3 hours ago, Greenday said:

You'll have to take better pictures or circle what you are concerned about. I wouldn't bat an eye at any of the brass pictured. But some of your primers have some nice flow into the flash hole. that really shouldn't be happening that much. 

I would step up to a thicker primer. I won't load 6 1/2s or cci 400s in .223 and 6.5 creedmore is higher pressure. 

what bcg are you using?  primer cratering is light but present so my guess is you are using a 308 instead of 6.5 bcg (has smaller gas port hole and is made for higher pressure)  dollars to donuts you will see a better primer pop if this is your culprit

5 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

what bcg are you using?  primer cratering is light but present so my guess is you are using a 308 instead of 6.5 bcg (has smaller gas port hole and is made for higher pressure)  dollars to donuts you will see a better primer pop if this is your culprit

It's the stock one on ther rifle. TC LRR

I would call and ask TC as it looks like their bolt is the same as their other TC designs.  See what they say and especially since you are saying the primer looks the same with the AE 120otms (which I have used and they are not that hot for factory) 

interesting

7 hours ago, Greenday said:

Attached is a used Starline in a case gauge. The American Eagle rounds look exactly the same. Entire body fits inside, just not the end. Probably from the neck slightly expanding from pressure.

20191203_173515.jpg

Your concern was brass differences as witnessed by your eyes.....so you plunked each one.....are they similar....in terms of seating depth etc .   ?

8 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Your concern was brass differences as witnessed by your eyes.....so you plunked each one.....are they similar....in terms of seating depth etc .   ?

The reloads were. Cases were all the same. Powder all the same. COAL was +/- were all either 2.8100 or 2.8095".

I'm probably just overreacting but I just wanted to get a second opinion from experienced reloaders.

Can you circle what you are concerned about on the brass? I cant really see anything other that three scratch marks that most likely happened during extraction. But I am not really sure what you are asking us to look at.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Greenday said:

The reloads were. Cases were all the same. Powder all the same. COAL was +/- were all either 2.8100 or 2.8095".

I'm probably just overreacting but I just wanted to get a second opinion from experienced reloaders.

You seemed concerned abt the brass after firing......

Your eyes for the most part cannot see certain things....the case guage can tell you a lot on fired brass as well..as that is a fixed datum point if reference.

Brass of differing manufactures etc can exhibit differing characteristics..and those of the same consistency exhibit the same...or close....

So..there was one ...that must have prompted your concern....  when placed in the gauge..do you see anything that inducates ..

Some sort of anonmoly

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

You seemed concerned abt the brass after firing......

Your eyes for the most part cannot see certain things....the case guage can tell you a lot on fired brass as well..as that is a fixed datum point if reference.

Brass of differing manufactures etc can exhibit differing characteristics..and those of the same consistency exhibit the same...or close...

So..there was one ...that must have prompted your concern....  when placed in the gauge..do you see anything that inducates ..

Some sort of anonmoly

Honestly, it was just those 3 marks that carl_g was talking about. Marks from being extracted could just be all they are.

3 hours ago, carl_g said:

Can you circle what you are concerned about on the brass? I cant really see anything other that three scratch marks that most likely happened during extraction. But I am not really sure what you are asking us to look at.

Those three scratch marks are what I was talking about. I dont see that with my 5.56 hunting rifle so I guess the 6.5 just is a little rougher extracting it.