AlDente67

Car battery jump pack

Bought a cheap 800 amp charger to fix the Jeep battery that kept dying (3rd battery in a brand new vehicle with 500 miles on the odo).  This one is made by Gooloo and comes with every possible connection in addition to the regular jumper clamps.  Has a flashlight built in too.  Nice little canvas storage case, takes up about the size of a small phonebook.  For $60,it was a bargain since I can revive my tractor batteries that I fail to store properly every winter.  And it will juice up pretty much anything in about 30 seconds.  Holds enough for a dozen jumps of the truck, and then plugs into a regular wall socket for about 6 hours to fully restore the juice, and supposedly will hold that for about 6 months.

Pretty handy when you are on the sand in the middle of nowhere all alone.

The reason I mention this is that you probably have never heard of Gooloo.  But so far I am impressed.

I also hate to read badly translated Chinese instructions, so I emailed them to offer my services to update the manual into something more like proper English.  The Chinese like to get flowery and end up mangling the text.  They asked me what I charged for such a service, and I said just maybe some sort of accessory.  I am not a copywriter by trade, so I wasn't looking for a cash payout.  Just wanted to remove the references to fusion flux capacitors and wormhole warpdrives.

So if you buy one, you can read my prose, and revel in the fact that you are in the company of a global juggernaut  :):) :)

HUH? 3 batteries in a vehicle that has under 500miles?

I would look into the jeep being the problem.. not the battery. Dead batteries is a compounding effect, once your battery goes dead, it hardly works as good prior to it. 

I just replaced my nearly 5 year old battery in my Jeep JK. 

Having a jump pack is a good idea, for sure... but I would look into what is killing your batteries.. 

Well, its almost funny...I went back to the dealer each time.  Last one (last week) they admitted that the tech plugged in his ODB reader and forgot to turn of the running lights. I would have noticed that I would think, but it was draining overnight down to about 9-10 volts.  So far it has been ok, but we shall see.  I would have thought a little bone like a free oil change would have been in order since I spent a total of 6 hours reading their old Motor Trend issues from 2007.   But I didn't yet push the issue.

The odd thing is that the GC has an aux battery as well, and that was the one killed the main.  The service advisor had no idea where thus elusive component was actually located (you would think a Jeep service dept would know of such things).  The main is stored under the passenger front seat, in the floor compartment, but even a brief browse of the Jeep forums did not reveal where the aux battery is located.

A jump pack isn't the issue.... killing batteries in a new vehicle is.

I wouldn't be concerned about the jump pack, but finding out what's draining the battery so quickly. You kill a battery a few times, and you can forget about having any storage in it. Unless you like replacing batteries...

1 minute ago, AlDente67 said:

but it was draining overnight down to about 9-10 volts. 

That's a toasted battery.

Seems like this one was the charm, as it would have drained straight away. I parked at Wawa for all of 4 minutes and went from 14.5 to 10. It started, but barely, then you see the volt counter rocket up to full within seconds.

One more and they get a lemon law friendly from Dewey Cheatum & Howe.  But we shall see.  My third GC in a row...but never had any issues with the others.  $55g suv, who needs that crap.

I would already get started on that lemon replacement.. 1 battery fine, 2 batteries complaint, 3rd.. file for a lemon. 

but you need to formally file for a lemon. 

There is no point in getting the vehicle looked at again unless its under a Lemon review, you will just be wasting your time.. 

51 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

Seems like this one was the charm, as it would have drained straight away. I parked at Wawa for all of 4 minutes and went from 14.5 to 10. It started, but barely, then you see the volt counter rocket up to full within seconds.

One more and they get a lemon law friendly from Dewey Cheatum & Howe.  But we shall see.  My third GC in a row...but never had any issues with the others.  $55g suv, who needs that crap.

Well, it will read high when running no matter what due to the alternator. You would have to check the battery voltage when the engine is off for a true reading... 

But for it drain that much in 4 minutes would suggest a short in the system. 

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

The battery is totally shot. When flat lined/discharged multiple times, it usually won't hold any charge, which is why it immediately drops in the 10 volt range. First thing I would do is put a load test on it, to confirm it's condition. Once a battery goes into the 11 volt range, it's getting damaged.

battery-condition.jpg

On 12/7/2019 at 12:31 PM, JackDaWack said:

Well, it will read high when running no matter what due to the alternator. You would have to check the battery voltage when the engine is off for a true reading... 

It will read high when running if trusting the IN car software because the info display lies. Got a jeep. Hasn't been a day in the last 5 years it hasn't sad 14.8v for the battery day in, day out, not a burp. 

Plug in an OBD2 data logger and you can see that display in the dash is a total lie. Mine isn't broken, what gets logged makes sense for the use, but the built in battery meter is clearly full of shit. 

As for finding the problem, good luck. FCA has been buying shit batteries for a few years now and TONS of them have bad cells. But they have also been having issues with solid ground connections periodically in assembly. 

just replaced the battery on my '16 Sonata.   Woke up and the bitch wouldnt turn over.   I guess the cold had something to do with it.  What ever happened to the $79/$99 Sears DieHard?   This last battery just cost me $159....WTF?

43 minutes ago, CageFighter said:

just replaced the battery on my '16 Sonata.   Woke up and the bitch wouldnt turn over.   I guess the cold had something to do with it.  What ever happened to the $79/$99 Sears DieHard?   This last battery just cost me $159....WTF?

Batteries and bulbs store. I love that place. They have good flashlights also 

On 12/7/2019 at 2:23 PM, Sniper said:

The battery is totally shot. When flat lined/discharged multiple times, it usually won't hold any charge, which is why it immediately drops in the 10 volt range. First thing I would do is put a load test on it, to confirm it's condition. Once a battery goes into the 11 volt range, it's getting damaged.

battery-condition.jpg

"Temperatures below 30 degrees Celsius (below freezing)" ... what?  Do they mean Fahrenheit?

4 hours ago, CageFighter said:

What ever happened to the $79/$99 Sears DieHard?   This last battery just cost me $159....WTF?

We're shooting or stockpiling all the lead.

Supply and demand.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:09 PM, CageFighter said:

you can still find those 79 buck batterys. and if you're desperate, you can put them in your car, and everyone can laugh at you when the thing dies at the most inoppurtune time. or you can spend something like 140 to 170 bucks for a good battery, and you can be the one calling the guy with the 79 buck battery stupid.