MB24

front door camera

53 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Ring Doorbell works good too.

If you want your recorded videos shared with LEOs

13 minutes ago, MB24 said:

I heard ring is good but I want it inside so it can't be blocked.

Couldn't someone just cover the glass on the door? It's better to find a spot mounted high up, where someone can't reach it? How high is your porch roof?

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

We just got the Blink cameras. They seems to work well for our intended use. 

I got 5 Blick cameras last year. Battery seems to last a goodly amount. All according to how much use it gets. I don't know how fast the Ring pops up on your phone but there is a delay on the Blink.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

If you want your recorded videos shared with LEOs

Couldn't someone just cover the glass on the door? It's better to find a spot mounted high up, where someone can't reach it? How high is your porch roof?

if someone is covering the door and I see that on the phone in my bedroom I'm pretty sure I'll know somethings up.

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

Wouldnt they have to walk up to the camera to cover it?

Kinda what I was thinking... if the camera is outside or behind the door, they first have to walk up to it, to cover it (camera or door). In either case, they will be seen first, before the covering.

The thing is a couple of weeks ago I had two guys from Inspire, some sort of electric service company, ring the bell. It was about 7pm and dark. Made me realize answering the glass front door I'm pretty exposed. We have an open floor plan and I can be seen going to the door from a good distance. Not sure how the recording works on the ring but i have friends that have it and when I visit i stand close so they can't see who it is. HaHa. My thought is with an interior camera, the average person with a reason to be there will walk up, knock and wait facing door. Just want to glance at my phone or monitor to see who it is without having to rewind anything. Nothing fancy. I realize there are all kinds of contingencies but something is better than nothing. I think if I mount the camera several feet from the door glare might not be an issue. I'm going to try using my phone taking some pics different times of the day to see about addressing the glare issues. Thanks for the suggestions, they are welcome.

Another benefit of the outdoor systems (I have Nest) is that they have two-way audio. I have no problem identifying people from a distance, no need to get close as you stated with your friends ring.

If somebody approaches your door and covers the camera; you can assume they have bad intentions and issue a warning through the camera (from your phone) while you take defensive actions.

Hard to block them. even the doorbell. It has motion sensing. Starts recording before the person gets there. You get time recorded before and after the motion stops. Work great.

33 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Hard to block them. even the doorbell. It has motion sensing. Starts recording before the person gets there. You get time recorded before and after the motion stops. Work great.

One reason I went with the Nest was for the constant recording. I read too many complaints about detection failures.

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

One reason I went with the Nest was for the constant recording. I read too many complaints about detection failures.

Well I have 7 Ring cams of different type. They always record even when not scheduled. That's how you get time before and after the situation. I never had probs with detection.... had them over a year now along with over 36 other Ring devices. Never any issues. But teto...

13 hours ago, kc17 said:

I think the glare would be an issue if mounted inside; unless you get the lens right up against the glass.

Glare is an issue with just about any IR cam if put inside a glass. Including most of those garbage sputnik style cams. The IR leds bounce back off the inside when on at night.

4 hours ago, kc17 said:

If somebody approaches your door and covers the camera; you can assume they have bad intentions and issue a warning through the camera (from your phone) while you take defensive actions.

That's a good point. If you get notification that the camera is triggered, and you check the video and see the camera is covered, then it would be safe to assume, it's not a  Amazon delivery.

If his porch ceiling is higher than 7 feet, just mount the camera up at the ceiling line. Someone would have to grab a chair or ladder to cover the camera, and just like my first paragraph, you'll instantly know if it's Friend or Foe.

Plus, being tucked up at the ceiling line will help with glare and IR issues.

46 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That's a good point. If you get notification that the camera is triggered, and you check the video and see the camera is covered, then it would be safe to assume, it's not a  Amazon delivery.

If his porch ceiling is higher than 7 feet, just mount the camera up at the ceiling line. Someone would have to grab a chair or ladder to cover the camera, and just like my first paragraph, you'll instantly know if it's Friend or Foe.

Plus, being tucked up at the ceiling line will help with glare and IR issues.

Maybe if they are short they would need a chair. Even at 5'9",  you only need about 15" of reach to get to 7 feet. 

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

Maybe if they are short they would need a chair. Even at 5'9",  you only need about 15" of reach to get to 7 feet. 

Which is why the operative word I used was HIGHER..... Focus please...

52 minutes ago, bhunted said:

You guys are over analyzing this.... lol

Yeah, I was going to type that too...

• Like 1

Look into reolink, I have multiple and they are really simple, reliable, and easy to use. 

They have indoor and outdoor cameras, battery or corded, I prefer the outdoor, I have one mounted under my porch roof that covers the front door and the front walk, and you can't see it until you are on the porch.

I access the camera mainly by the Android app and can view the live and history from anywhere but can also pull them up on PC.

I put an sd card in mine and have it setup like a dash cam so it loops through and deletes the oldest data to make room for new files. With heavy use I still get 3+ weeks of history.

Mine is setup to record on motion. You can set the motion zones that trigger recording to block out cars passing on the street for instance.

I would recommend putting it outdoor and getting one with some nightvision or it will be relatively useless for a lot of important time. Cameras need a lot of light for a good picture and simply turning on a porch light is not going to be enough at night. In addition ir lighting and nightvision is not gonna work well through glass.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SW9racer said:

You can opt-out of this:

That's what they want you to believe:

https://www.cnet.com/news/ring-gave-police-a-street-level-view-of-where-video-doorbells-were-for-over-a-year/

....."Knowing where every Ring camera is located in a neighborhood raises the issue of potential police surveillance, said Andrew Guthrie Ferguson, author of The Rise of Big Data Policing and a law professor at the University of the District of Columbia.

"When police can see which houses were likely to have footage, it undercuts the anonymity, or control or consent," he said.

Yeah, they also are simply not doing a good job of keeping information secure with regard to their app. 

https://gizmodo.com/ring-s-hidden-data-let-us-map-amazons-sprawling-home-su-1840312279

Even if you opt out, data may linger rather than be purged immediately. 

They have broken their terms before and it would not surpize me if they do so again. 

That aside, even after they agreed to not disclose user info without the user's consent, when furnished with a subpoena demanding the info, they turned it over anyway as they are actually in possession of said info. 

51 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Even if you opt out, data may linger rather than be purged immediately. 

It starts out as what seems to be a helpful agreement, you give local LEO's access to your video data because a robbery happened in your neighborhood. Sounds fine, right?

Except, you just gave the LEOs freedom to use your data however they want for an extended time period.

So, earlier in the day, you yelled at your wife for not bring home your beer, and a few hours before that, you yelled at your kids for not putting their bikes away. Then you made comments towards your neighbor for parking his POS car in front of your house.

Then, you had a argument with your other neighbor about the Giants/Eagles game, and he calls the LEOs saying you have anger management issues. Guess what, you already gave free access to the LEO of your video recordings, and what happens when they review them?

Can you say "Red Flag" laws...

Be careful what you do because of convenience.... If your data (Ring, Alexa, Google Home, Facebook) ISN'T stored on your property, it can be used against you.

Oh my, I guess this is another reason not to have security systems connected to the Internet, where data your data is stored off site (in the cloud), and controlled/accessed by others:

Ring security camera hacks see homeowners subjected to racial abuse, ransom demands

Multiple U.S. families have reported incidents of Ring camera systems being hacked in recent days, raising questions as to whether the systems are allowing hackers access to people's homes, without ever having to set foot inside.

Owners of Ring security cameras in Mississippi, Georgia, Florida and Texas have reported incidents where hackers tormented families with racial slurs, encouraged children into destructive behavior and demanded a ransom in Bitcoin.

"I can't even put into words how violated I feel. It really is like my worst nightmare," Mississippi mom Ashley Lemay told ABC's "Good Morning America."

Only four days after installing it, her eight-year-old daughter, Alyssa, heard music and a banging noise coming from the room where the camera was installed.

Alyssa says that when she began looking for the source of the noise, she heard a voice saying, "I'm Santa Claus, don't you want to be my best friend?"

"I see the blue light come on, and so I'm texting my boyfriend saying, you know, 'Why are you watching? We're laying down. We're about to go to sleep.' He's like, 'What are you talking about?'" the woman told ABC affiliate WSB-TV in Atlanta.

Seconds later, she said she heard someone clapping and saying, "I can see you in the bed! ... Come on! Wake the f--- up!"

For the Brown family of Cape Coral, Florida, the hack of their Ring camera brought racist abuse into their home.

Video from the camera taken Sunday night shows a home alarm being triggered, followed by a voice spewing racial abuse through the camera.

"Is your kid a baboon, like the monkey?" said the hacker. The abuse continued for three minutes, until the family removed the batteries from the camera.

Disturbingly, the family said their 15-year-old son did not appear on the camera during the incident, leading the family to believe the hacker had been observing them for longer than just that night, according to Naples ABC affiliate WZVN.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ring-security-camera-hacks-homeowners-subjected-racial-abuse/story?id=67679790

This is getting a TON of coverage today:

A family in DeSoto County, Mississippi, bought a Ring security camera so they could keep an eye on their three young girls in their bedroom. Four days later, they learned that a hacker had broken into the camera and subjected their children to continuous bedroom surveillance, taunting the children through the camera's built-in speaker.

1576091006004-ring-spying.png.jpeg?w=700

Motherboard identified several crime-forums where hackers were trading automated tools to break into Ring cameras, using credential-stuffing attacks (previously), which involve trying a succession of leaked username/password combos until you find one that has been recycled on the service you're trying to break into. These tools sell for as little as $6.

In a video obtained by WMC5 courtesy of the family, you can see what the hacker would have seen: A viewpoint that looms over the entire room from where the camera is installed in a far corner, looking down on their beds and dressers while they play. The hacker is heard playing the song "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" through the device's speakers, and when one of the daughters, who is eight years old, stops and asks who's there, the hacker says, "It's Santa. It's your best friend."

Using good passwords and 2FA is good advice, but better advice is to never put networked cameras or microphones in your home, ever.

Ever.

Now here's a good one. Remember the Verizon commercial "Can you hear me now"?

'I can see you in bed!’ Woman says a hacker swore at her through her home security camera

The hackers were not only able to see her in her bedroom, they also talked to her over her security system on Monday evening.

“I was terrified. I literally could not move my body,” the woman said about the moment a stranger hacked a Ring camera inside a Brookhaven couple’s bedroom.

The woman who asked for her identity not to be disclosed said she and her boyfriend installed the camera so they could keep a close eye on their dog Beau while they were at work.

“I was laying there and had just put him in his crate, and I hear a cough over the Ring camera. I see the blue light come on, so I text my boyfriend saying, ‘Why are you watching?’ We’re laying down, and we’re about to go to sleep, and he’s like, ‘What are you talking about?’” she said.

“I can see you in bed! C’mon, wake the (bleeped expletive) up,” the hacker said.

The couple said they later found out that someone hacked into their ring account at least four times.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/12/12/i-can-see-you-bed-woman-says-hacker-swore-her-through-her-home-security-camera/

On 12/11/2019 at 1:03 PM, joshroz2 said:

Look into reolink, I have multiple and they are really simple, reliable, and easy to use. 

They have indoor and outdoor cameras, battery or corded, I prefer the outdoor, I have one mounted under my porch roof that covers the front door and the front walk, and you can't see it until you are on the porch.

I access the camera mainly by the Android app and can view the live and history from anywhere but can also pull them up on PC.

I put an sd card in mine and have it setup like a dash cam so it loops through and deletes the oldest data to make room for new files. With heavy use I still get 3+ weeks of history.

Mine is setup to record on motion. You can set the motion zones that trigger recording to block out cars passing on the street for instance.

I would recommend putting it outdoor and getting one with some nightvision or it will be relatively useless for a lot of important time. Cameras need a lot of light for a good picture and simply turning on a porch light is not going to be enough at night. In addition ir lighting and nightvision is not gonna work well through glass.

Seconding Reolink.  I have a wired camera system for the outdoor areas.  Excellent coverage - cameras are great - PoE so only need to run the network cable.

On sale right now for an excellent price.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016UCNP3A/

• Like 1

If ya'll that worried about hacking, you should stay away from -ALL- wireless devices. 

Worse thing in my case is they see me walking around butt nekid and go effing blind. Screw'em. lol.....:yahoo:

PS: I had more attacks with the cheaper wireless cams especially from China.... 

Go wired and have a local dvr recorder stuck in your gun safe.