Catch22LR

LEOSA carry from out of state

Hi,

Is there a restriction on magazine capacity or hollow point ammunition for concealed carry by off duty out of state LEO?

Trying to find out for a friend from a neighboring state.

based on this, it looks like magazines up to 17 rounds can be carried? https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/S3000/2846_I1.HTM 

Your friend  needs to do their own research. He or she is the one who's going to have to answer for their actions.

When you read a statute you also have to read the other statutes that provide exemptions.  Different rules in NJ for out of state LEOs when they're on duty or off duty.

My understanding is an off duty, out of state LEO is limited to 10 Rd magazines and is not permitted to carry hollowpoints under NJ State law.  LEOSA has no provision regarding magazine capacity.  LEOSA does permit hollowpoints but NJ does not for an off duty LEO.

Your friend also needs to check their agency's regulations.  Many do not allow carry of an agency owned firearm out of state.

If your friend is a Federal LEO different rules apply.

• Agree 1

Thanks, GRIZ. I saw the below exception and thought it applied to out of state off duty as well. But it is unclear, so it may be better for them to be on the safe side with 10.

(b)  Nothing in subsection  j. of this section shall apply to a law enforcement officer who possesses and carries while off-duty a large capacity ammunition magazine capable of holding not more than 17 rounds of ammunition that can be fed continuously and directly into a semi-automatic firearm.