DirtyDigz

VCDL Lobby Day - 01/20/20 Richmond VA

2 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

On my way back home.  Massive turnout, lots of angry Pro-gun people, no antifa, no violence and several new friends.

Met up with Rosey, Theresa and Alex from CNJFO.

Photos later.

I saw 8 - 10 "Marxists" who were futilely trying to get their goofy message out about Trump.  They should have just given up.  Eventually, they were surrounded by the Capitol Police, and when no one would listen to them, they moved on.  They didn't show up until late.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Nj is a pass through state. Va , people want to live and die there. I’m convinced this is our problem.  Nobody wants to retire in joisey unless you’re a taker

I KNOW I sure as shit ain't retiring here.

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Nj is a pass through state. Va , people want to live and die there. I’m convinced this is our problem.  Nobody wants to retire in joisey unless you’re a taker

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

So, for the 45+ years people live in Jersey while they're working, they just roll over, and take up the rear, since they're moving away when they retire? Sounds strange.

Like most things in life, I think there are probably multiple factors at play - not just one - that are impacting attitudes/action in NJ. As someone pointed out, it's true that the gun community has been rather neutered in NJ over time so there are smaller percentages of gun owners comparative to other states. Gerrymandering, too, has resulted in "red" areas having less impact. At the same time, it's also true that many legal gun owners (like other NJ citizens) DO have an exit strategy - and are here (for careers, family, etc.) but will hightail it out as soon as possible. That probably impacts people's actions (or lack thereof) as well.

ALL of these factors exist.  

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Sniper said:

So, why doesn't everyone move NOW?? Why wait?

Now is now. RatPack container sitting in my driveway. Had a nice chat with the driver, said they have to import the containers disassembled by the truckload because all the the containers are leaving NJ but very few coming in lol. 

41 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I was staying for family reasons (and specifically eldercare in varying degrees the last 15 years). But now that both parents have passed, I'm on Zillow, Redfin, etc. constantly and I'm even driving past interesting properties in PA. My main focus this winter is on readying my house for sale, but by Spring/Summer, I hope to be property shopping in earnest!

May I say, though gun ownership has definitely provided a good "push" towards making a move, honestly, I'd be leaving NJ for financial reasons anyway! My costs for personal tax, property tax and health insurance (3 of my biggest expenses) will all drop precipitously just moving across the Delaware. And, because I plan on downsizing my house, I should also see savings on heating/cooling bills as well. It's a no-brainer. Lots of people have reasons that are keeping them here for now.

51 minutes ago, Sniper said:

https://www.northamerican.com/migration-map

Many already have. I already did as have many other members on this forum over the past 10 years. 

What's your excuse for staying? 

19 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I was staying for family reasons (and specifically eldercare in varying degrees the last 15 years). But now that both parents have passed, I'm on Zillow, Redfin, etc. constantly and I'm even driving past interesting properties in PA. My main focus this winter is on readying my house for sale, but by Spring/Summer, I hope to be property shopping in earnest!

May I say, though gun ownership has definitely provided a good "push" towards making a move, honestly, I'd be leaving NJ for financial reasons anyway! My costs for personal tax, property tax and health insurance (3 of my biggest expenses) will all drop precipitously just moving across the Delaware. And, because I plan on downsizing my house, I should also see savings on heating/cooling bills as well. It's a no-brainer. Lots of people have reasons that are keeping them here for now.

I saved 10k a year in property tax alone! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I saved 10k a year in property tax alone! 

If/when we pull the plug in NJ and move full time to our PA house it's a $10K raise for us too.

And I must say, even though PA is no permanent guarantee of a 2A safe space, it is good to breath the free 2A air and have a LTCF before I die!

7 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

On my way back home.  Massive turnout, lots of angry Pro-gun people, no antifa, no violence and several new friends.

Met up with Rosey, Theresa and Alex from CNJFO.

Photos later.

There are lots of photos on pafoa.org. The turnout looked great!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

If/when we pull the plug in NJ and move full time to our PA house it's a $10K raise for us too.

And I must say, even though PA is no permanent guarantee of a 2A safe space, it is good to breath the free 2A air and have a LTCF before I die!

Do it!  Your only regret will be not moving sooner.

To top it off the town I live in has public preschool that my daughter is now attending at the same school she will be attending K-8th grade in. All paid for with my 2k a year property tax along with no state income tax and no sales tax. 

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

There are a variety of reasons people can't move NOW?  This was discussed some time ago.

What's yours?

For starters, I CAN afford to live here in retirement. That's a non issue.

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

What's your excuse for staying? 

I don't want to stay, but I'm stuck until wifey's mom takes a dirt nap. It's a lot less costly to stay here, than get divorced and give wifey half my money.

3 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Job, wife’s family, and kids established in schools. 

Since 3/4 of the population (probably more in this high cost state), live paycheck to paycheck and the same percentage don't save ANY money for retirement or emergency, why stay and worry if you'll be able to pay the electric bill next month?

It's like the definition of insanity "Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result."

Took a look through my pictures this morning, nothing that is really outstanding or gives a good sense of the scale of the event.  Let me post this instead - it's the best "photo-essay" I've seen of the event:

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/photos-scenes-from-the-gun-rights-rally-at-capitol-square/collection_9dba409a-4f0d-57ee-93eb-5da72a50ebbe.html#146

5e25cf740d997.image.jpg

Very curious to see how VA legislators move forward from here.  The rally was a *GREAT* thing for the RKBA - many Anti-gun narratives were completely demolished.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, WP22 said:

Who they?

Screen-Shot-2020-01-20-at-21.02.27-547x600.jpg

I know who they are.  Everybody here should.  It's SAD that folks even have to ask...  People took turns helping hold signs & banners.  

L-R in middle of sign --not holding it in foreground-- is David Padua (face partially obstructed), the one & only Mark Cheeseman (sunglasses & beanie--the SCOTUS Petitioner), and William Hayden.  Patriots ALL!   

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

I know who they are.  Everybody here should.  It's SAD that folks even have to ask...  People took turns helping hold signs & banners.  

Jesus Christ Rosey!!!  Lay off the fucking guilt trips, it's becoming a joke!

I respect what you do but your messaging is fucked up.

41 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Jesus Christ Rosey!!!  Lay off the fucking guilt trips, it's becoming a joke!

I respect what you do but your messaging is fucked up.

I think the last guys cornflakes you should be pissing in is @Smokin .50  :facepalm:

35 minutes ago, Old_Hunter said:

This article details what’s really important post-rally: 

...." Warner Workman chose to make his point by lobbying from inside the Capitol. Workman is a gun rights advocate and the owner of Minuteman Arms in Lovettsville. He believes many of the proposed gun bills will become law. He said that some may be overturned through lawsuits but others won’t be challenged."

The odds are, the new laws will be signed into law, the politicians don't care about rallies, and they won't be overturned.

....." As for the future of the gun rights movement in Virginia, Workman hopes that protesters who turned out today, “will show out en masse on November 2021” for the gubernatorial and House of Delegates elections. "

Yeah, keep thinking the ballot box will solve all the problems. :scratchhead:

insanity.jpg

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

...." Warner Workman chose to make his point by lobbying from inside the Capitol. Workman is a gun rights advocate and the owner of Minuteman Arms in Lovettsville. He believes many of the proposed gun bills will become law. He said that some may be overturned through lawsuits but others won’t be challenged."

The odds are, the new laws will be signed into law, the politicians don't care about rallies, and they won't be overturned.

....." As for the future of the gun rights movement in Virginia, Workman hopes that protesters who turned out today, “will show out en masse on November 2021” for the gubernatorial and House of Delegates elections. "

Yeah, keep thinking the ballot box will solve all the problems. :scratchhead:

insanity.jpg

Lately, you constantly call out what is insanity, what is a waste of time, what wont work, what is foolhardy etc.

*YET*, lately if at all - I am searching for one piece of information that is *your* solution to the issues...I work with people like this sometimes, they are generally very boorish people and don't last long on the projects - I generally like some things you post, but this negativity is just too much.

image.jpeg.73c5fc5d9a05075afdf639b0f83ef732.jpeg

So oh great Carnac what is the answer to NJ's and VA's problems - aside from armed insurrection that just might happen someday in VA.

image.jpeg.e3bc0a03e388ea7b1376890f05aa22bb.jpeg

Go Ahead I'll wait :popcorn:

• Agree 3