Ray Ray

Adjustable brace on a rifle?

IMO - NO!

A brace is only considered a brace when used on a Pistol or Other firearm.

A Rifle is designed to be fired from the shoulder, and as such requires a stock. If you put an adj brace on a rifle - it then becomes the stock and as such has to be pinned to non-adjustable in NJ

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

IMO - NO!

A Rifle is designed to be fired from the shoulder, and as such requires a stock. If you put an adj brace on a rifle - it then becomes the stock and as such has to be pinned to non-adjustable in NJ

But by that way of thinking one could put a stock on an AR pistol and since pistols are designed to be fired by hand only then the stock should become a brace.

1 hour ago, JT Custom Guns said:

IMO - NO!

Can I take off the rifle stock and still be legal? Yes.

Can I put a pistol grip on instead of a stock, ie shotgun, and still be legal. Yes.

Difference?

7 hours ago, fishnut said:

But by that way of thinking one could put a stock on an AR pistol and since pistols are designed to be fired by hand only then the stock should become a brace.

No - you cannot put a stock on a Pistol as that would make it an SBR

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PK90 said:

Can I take off the rifle stock and still be legal? Yes.

Can I put a pistol grip on instead of a stock, ie shotgun, and still be legal. Yes.

Difference?

Can you take off the rifles stock and still be legal? Not if it doesn't make min. length

Can you put a Pistol Grip on instead of a stock, ie Shotgun and still be legal? Technically, NO. In cases of a shotgun if it was designed by the mfg to be shouldered, no - but if it was sold with a PG as in a Mossberg Cruiser which is considered an "Firearm" then it would be good to go.

Unless NJ Gun law changes, you can have your adjustable brace on an "other" and be happy, but IMO NJ is not going to let you take a brace and put it on an AR and let it be adjustable. Again, IMO

IF a member really wants to test the waters - e-mail the AG's office and ask them................

An AR rifle without a stock will be over 26", and 100% legal. A shotgun can have an aftermarket pistol grip, as it too will be over 26". The question is not about an "other" or "pistol-grip firearm". The issue is about adding a non-regulated part to a rifle, ie long gun.

8 minutes ago, PK90 said:

An AR rifle without a stock will be over 26", and 100% legal. A shotgun can have an aftermarket pistol grip, as it too will be over 26". The question is not about an "other" or "pistol-grip firearm". The issue is about adding a non-regulated part to a rifle, ie long gun.

I believe the question was - "I was wondering if say I decide to install an adjustable brace on an AR15 would it be legal"?  

IMO - NO, it cannot be adjustable on a rifle.......

Paul, I agree with the intent of the design of a brace, but in the real world we all know it's used to put a stock on a weapon that wasn't supposed to have a stock in the first place (ie: pistol). 

Can he put it on a rifle - Yes!

Can in be adjustable in NJ - NO! If the person using the brace needs it to support the weight, then it can be adjusted to that users required length and then pinned, just like a stock. BUT, if someone wants to ask the AG and they get a different answer - I'll retract my opinion.....

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

I still say "yes", as a brace is not a stock. I believe that the original design and purpose of a brace was to allow a one armed person to be able to shoot a heavy firearm.

So a gun designed to be shot with one hand? And not shouldered..

That's NJ's definition of a pistol. 

3 hours ago, carl_g said:

Other than “why not” why would you want to put a brace on a rifle? Just so you could adjust it?

Another way to skirt the law?

The "braces" function fine as a stock.

How about i someone adds a pistol brace AND a vertical foregrip to a rifle-length AR??

So it would have a brace instead of a stock, vertical foregrip, and 16" barrel ...

5 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Another way to skirt the law?

The "braces" function fine as a stock.

How about i someone adds a pistol brace AND a vertical foregrip to a rifle-length AR??

So it would have a brace instead of a stock, vertical foregrip, and 16" barrel ...

I would just avoid doing to an already existing rifle. 

But other wise an "other firearm" has no barrel length restrictions. Have at it. IMO

14 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

The objective was to have one AR for home defense, and since I am 6'5 and my non-binary "they" partner is 5' an adjustable brace would make the most sense.

I remember reading somewhere "if it starts as a rifle it stays a rifle", or something to that effect. Does that only apply to pistol ARs? 

The safest solution is purchase a stripped receiver, put a brace on it, put a vertical fore grip (not an angled one) on the upper, put them together, and done. 

14 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I remember reading somewhere "if it starts as a rifle it stays a rifle", or something to that effect. Does that only apply to pistol ARs? 

The safest solution is purchase a stripped receiver, put a brace on it, put a vertical fore grip (not an angled one) on the upper, put them together, and done. 

You cannot put a vert. grip on a pistol..........

10 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

As long as the OAL is over 26”... you can. Partly the reason why the ATF had that letter go out a little bit back where OAL on folding braced pistols (and other firearms) do not count towards the OAL when open.

40 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

That was specific to Ray's situation. He already has the upper from the rifle with a 16" barrel. If he is using a different upper with a shorter barrel, then yes needs to be 26" OAL.