runcibleman

MP5 Non-NFA?

So I was looking at Zenith's lineup and saw that some model are just over 26" long with their braces unfolded. And then a thought came to mind...

If Zenith custom made a version of this that has the brace fixed open (i.e. disabled the folding functionality) and added a VFG, would this comply with the interpretation of what an "Other Firearm" is per the NJSP FIU? https://zenithfirearms.com/product/zenith-z-5rs-sb-rail/ Mind you, they're a manufacturer who start with the raw MKE stampings and do the rest themselves, so it wouldn't be modification of something that is a "rifle" or a "pistol", but it'd be built up, by the manufacturer, for retail as a non-NFA Firearm per NJ's understanding.

The weight would kill it in NJ as a pistol.  However if it could squeeze in like a Shockwave.  Not sure if it can squeeze in under NJ law.  They'd need to.submit specs to NJSP for approval.

FWIW I used a MP5 while I was on the job. It was my go to for years until we got M4s.  I used to keep my M4 stock at the first notch out.  If you do an AR this way you only have 2 inches of barrel to make you legal (I think but you'd have to check on that).  A 223/556 is much more efficient.

16 hours ago, GRIZ said:

The weight would kill it in NJ as a pistol.  However if it could squeeze in like a Shockwave.  Not sure if it can squeeze in under NJ law.  They'd need to.submit specs to NJSP for approval.

FWIW I used a MP5 while I was on the job. It was my go to for years until we got M4s.  I used to keep my M4 stock at the first notch out.  If you do an AR this way you only have 2 inches of barrel to make you legal (I think but you'd have to check on that).  A 223/556 is much more efficient.

It would be considered an "other firearm"

with a fixed brace and OAL of 26", they could throw on their rail with a VFG. 

They would meet the criteria for being substantially identical to the already opinion'd firearms the state police have ruled on. 

they could sell it for $2500 and i would buy the damn thing just for the nostalgia. 

A CT company already sells modified scorpion$ this way, but theyre not a MP5!!!

15 minutes ago, fatty said:

I'd definitely buy one too.  The Omega version JT was offering a while back was super tempting but I couldn't get over the 16" barrel

We have broken all ties with Omega! The owner is a fuckin' nut, and the guns just were not accurate. The gun was well made, looked good, but 6-8 inch groups at 25 yards was not acceptable (at least no to me). Stay away from Omega!

Zenith's are ok, but pricey............