voyager9

WAWa Data Breach

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Think about it, do you really think these gas jockeys are that technologically connected that they're hiding card readers in their pockets, scanning your cards. They're gas jockeys NOT rocket scientists.... Plus, they are being watched on camera, 24/7.

Your card data was picked up by malware in their card processing system, the gas jockeys had nothing to do with it.

That's where you are wrong. This is not news, these card readers are not that rare nor that expensive. Here you go, this story is 2 years old but it started long before that.

https://www.eater.com/2017/12/27/13676606/credit-card-fraud-restaurant-how-to-protect-yourself

"

Skimmer: “A skimmer is a small device that attaches to a reader,” says Yinzhi Cao, an assistant professor of computer science and engineering at Lehigh University. “When a credit card is swiped, the skimmer captures the magnetic field, and then collects it, saving the data of everyone who swipes.”

While skimmers are most often used at ATMs and gas stations, they’ve been used at restaurants before (like in the New York case mentioned above). “It’s starting to become more prevalent at restaurants,” Carter says. “Usually it’s the waitstaff — they get your credit card, and they have skimmers that are so small they can be held in the palm of your hand.”"

16 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

That's where you are wrong. This is not news, these card readers are not that rare nor that expensive. Here you go, this story is 2 years old but it started long before that.

This WaWa issue WASN'T from card skimmers. Go back and read the first post in the thread.

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

This WaWa issue WASN'T from card skimmers. Go back and read the first post in the thread.

I know that, if you read my remarks you will notice that I was referring SPECIFICALLY to CMjeepster saying that he uses CC at wawa for gas. 

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

The Wawa near work recently installed chip readers at the pump; the "tap and pay" option was disabled at the time.

I never give card to gas jockeys; I get out of my vehicle and watch them, or do it myself if they don't get there fast enough.

I’m curious how the tap/pay using phones work with the pumps. While in theory more secure there’s no way I’m handing my phone to those guys. Even logistically it requires faceID before the transaction starts so I don’t know how that can work with the customer in the vehicle. 

11 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I know that, if you read my remarks you will notice that I was referring SPECIFICALLY to CMjeepster saying that he uses CC at wawa for gas. 

And I was responding back to you, when you said your credit card info was taken at WaWa by a skimmer by the gas jockey, and in the case of this WaWa breach, that wasn't the case. It was malware.

Yes, I'm aware card skimmers have been used at ATMs and other gas stations, but in this case, that's not the issue.

8 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I’m curious how the tap/pay using phones work with the pumps. While in theory more secure there’s no way I’m handing my phone to those guys. Even logistically it requires faceID before the transaction starts so I don’t know how that can work with the customer in the vehicle. 

I have an Android with Google Pay. I unlock the phone (I use fingerprint scanner, PIN will also work, or Face if phone has it); hold the phone to the pump and that's it. Faster than swipe or chip. I do not give phone to attendant.

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

And I was responding back to you, when you said your credit card info was taken at WaWa by a skimmer by the gas jockey, and in the case of this WaWa breach, that wasn't the case. It was malware.

Yes, I'm aware card skimmers have been used at ATMs and other gas stations, but in this case, that's not the issue.

That's not what you wrote, is it?

"Think about it, do you really think these gas jockeys are that technologically connected that they're hiding card readers in their pockets, scanning your cards. They're gas jockeys NOT rocket scientists.... Plus, they are being watched on camera, 24/7."

36 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I have an Android with Google Pay. I unlock the phone (I use fingerprint scanner, PIN will also work, or Face if phone has it); hold the phone to the pump and that's it. Faster than swipe or chip. I do not give phone to attendant.

Right. That presumes you get out of the vehicle to do so.  I would bet 90% of the people in NJ wouldn’t be willing to do that since it’s not necessary when using cards. That will limit it being adopted widely. 

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Right. That presumes you get out of the vehicle to do so.  I would bet 90% of the people in NJ wouldn’t be willing to do that since it’s not necessary when using cards. That will limit it being adopted widely. 

Don't know, not really concerned about other people. I thought you were asking how it actually worked, not theorizing on how widely it would be used.

The first time I used it at the pump was the first time I'd ever used the Tap and Pay system at all anywhere. The attendant was at my truck before I was out, so I'd asked him for clarification on how it worked. He commented he's been seeing it used more frequently, even with smart watches. This was about a month ago, not too long after the story broke.

I'm fortunate my wife did not balk when I told her I wanted her to start using the Google Pay with phone which meant she had to get out of her car.

I've been told another option is a PayPal credit card. Gives you an additional layer of separation from your other accounts like Google/Apple/Samsung Pay, while still having a physical card for places that do not offer Tap & Pay or chip readers.