ChrisJM981

Adding a TV to living room

I'm looking to add a TV to my living room. Currently our main TV is in our family room off the kitchen. The new spot in the living room is at least 50 feet from the current box. There is no basement, so I can't run coaxial cable under the floor. It's a split level, so there is no straight path through the ceiling either. 

Can I use a wireless box repeater?  TheTV is a 65" 4k QLED Samsung. 

Do you actually need cable TV in that location?  If the TV itself isn’t “smart” the. Something like the Firestick is $45 and can run the apps for all the stream providers. This may include your cable company. I know Xfinity had an app (for roku, I assume fire stick as well). 

That way you can get actual 4K content without running coax. 

• Thanks 1

i don't even have cable, I have a roku tv and stream everything.

One of my buddies can't live without cable though and uses this:

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Wireless-Digital-Channel-GW3DHDKIT/dp/B00630WKGI

I saw it in person, no choppiness or cutouts, it just works. Keep in mind its 1080p, im sure there are 4k versions.

Also if your remote for your cablebox is IR, you will want a transmitter with an IR repeater.

The good news is your situation is far from unique, so there is a market out there for a product to do exactly what you need. I'm sure you'll find a solution. It comes down to price, and brand. Amazon reviews are your friend.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Can I use a wireless box repeater?  TheTV is a 65" 4k QLED Samsung. 

I don’t have an answer, but I’m preparing this week to hang that same model here.  I’m looking forward to the upgrade. 

On 12/23/2019 at 7:44 AM, ChrisJM981 said:

Apparently Xfinity has a wireless box. I do have a firestick, so I'll be trying that out today. Thanks everyone.

I don’t know if you found a solution, but just download the Xifi Stream app on your TV itself and stream the same content your cable box has. No need for a fire stick or any other device. I just connected a Samsung TV this way on Christmas Day. Plus you will save the $10/mo rental fee for another box 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1