Tallday

switching over to 9mm

I read some studies that were conducted during the civil war. They had found some soldiers wouldn't fire a single shot and not really realize it. Studies determined that the mental factors in fighting were much more important than they thought. They also found that the side that shoots the most bullets wins the overwhelming majority of battles. 

34 minutes ago, Sevenshot said:

I read some studies that were conducted during the civil war. They had found some soldiers wouldn't fire a single shot and not really realize it. Studies determined that the mental factors in fighting were much more important than they thought. They also found that the side that shoots the most bullets wins the overwhelming majority of battles. 

Read “On Combat” an “On Killing” By Lt Col Grossman. Goes into this as well as strategies for preventing PTSD from combat by being familiar with what is combat “normal” and why.

For example - everyone knows “fight or flight” as the two choices you have in any confrontation, but there are actually two more options - “posture and submit” - that play a large role in the psyche surviving combat.

Interesting stuff.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sevenshot said:

Sound about right. Most anything we do as humans starts and ends in our minds. Doesn’t take much physical strength to press a trigger. It’s the mental and spiritual aspects before and after the press is what we continuously need to improve upon.

thanks for the response.

On 12/24/2019 at 2:24 PM, USRifle30Cal said:

I love how Glock perfection = massive customization..but seriosuly...

I pick up a G19 in the next couple of weeks  ....

I usually shoot 45acp and am wondering what 9mm ammo do local LEO's like and why 

From what I have seen in training sessions around the country 9mm 124gr Speer Gold Dot seems to be what most use.  But like anything it all depends. we went with 147gr of that same verity.

good luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Read “On Combat” an “On Killing” By Lt Col Grossman. Goes into this as well as strategies for preventing PTSD from combat by being familiar with what is combat “normal” and why.

For example - everyone knows “fight or flight” as the two choices you have in any confrontation, but there are actually two more options - “posture and submit” - that play a large role in the psyche surviving combat.

Interesting stuff.

Kindle unlimited ON KILLING - free.

Thanks for sharing the information !

On 12/25/2019 at 8:36 AM, Malsua said:

The military hit rate is vastly worse, like 1 in 200,000.  

I'd suspect a lot of that might be due to "suppressing fire." Sometimes you lay down a heavy load to get the bad guys to keep their heads down so you can gain position. Police probably lack this luxury in a lot of situations 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Handyman said:

I'd suspect a lot of that might be due to "suppressing fire." Sometimes you lay down a heavy load to get the bad guys to keep their heads down so you can gain position. Police probably lack this luxury in a lot of situations 

That is correct.

9 hours ago, Tallday said:

Sound about right. Most anything we do as humans starts and ends in our minds. Doesn’t take much physical strength to press a trigger. It’s the mental and spiritual aspects before and after the press is what we continuously need to improve upon.

thanks for the response.

FWIW studies showed that only about 20% of infantrymen in WW2 fired their rifles in combat.

The mental aspects of combat are the toughest.  That's why training for SEALs, SF, Rangers, Pararescue, Delta and other Special Operators focus more on the mental than physical aspects.  Yes, you have to be in great physical condition to complete this training but many who are in top notch physical shape drop out or get washed out.

Then LTC Charles Beckwith started Delta he adopted about the same selection course the SAS use. The SAS Regimental commander came to Ft Bragg to help Bechwith.  Beckwith asked him why this selection course of complex land navigation problems and long force marches weeded out the right soldiers for the SAS.  His response?  "I don't know why but it's been working for almost 50 years".

Shooting ability is a very small part of fighting.

• Agree 1

So I decided to go with DP customs and get the RMR cut along with other options, and a Loanwolf conversion barrel for my 23 . Selling the G22  to help fund the project. I cant for some reason post it here so its on arms list. I have reached out to admins so once sorted it will be up in the NJGF also.

Thanks for all the help and interesting data that came out of the thread!

Dave,