SW9racer

Ice Cleats for shoes

Does anyone have any experience with those Ice Cleats that strap around your shoes/boots (size 11)?  Looking for something that can be put on fairly easy/quickly to navigate icy sidewalks and parking lot, then removed when inside an office building. I don’t need outdoor hiking grade. Amazon reviews are all over the place, to the point I really don’t trust them. Thanks!

I used the base model.  I was a Sheriff's Deputy and we were told not to use the ones with spikes because the spikes could damage floors if we had them on and stepped into someones home.  I have no experience with the ones with spikes.  I used the coil type primarily when I was outside walking around on icy roads dealing with car accidents.  Winters get bad out there and they were definitely worth having.  I kept a pair in my gear bag and a pair in my coat pocket that I would put on depending on when I was going to be spending time outside doing anything more than just parking and walking into a building.    

Just echoing the crowd.  Love my Yak Trax.  My shoes are huge and occasionally one will come off.  Happens less now that the rubber has formed to the shoe.  I have a high top hiking boot they stay on year round.    I got the $18 ones.  

15 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

I used the base model.  I was a Sheriff's Deputy and we were told not to use the ones with spikes because the spikes could damage floors if we had them on and stepped into someones home.  I have no experience with the ones with spikes.  I used the coil type primarily when I was outside walking around on icy roads dealing with car accidents.  Winters get bad out there and they were definitely worth having.  I kept a pair in my gear bag and a pair in my coat pocket that I would put on depending on when I was going to be spending time outside doing anything more than just parking and walking into a building.    

Yes the spikes I linked definitely will destroy most any floor. I've hiked to a fire tower up here a few times and the floor is all jacked up from people not removing their spikes