Tallday

selling a pistol face to face out of state?

Someone just reached out to me from Delaware and wanted to purchase a pistol for sale. Can I just meet him at an FFL in Delaware or does it need to ship from an FFL in NJ to another in DL to "leave the state and enter another"?

As long as the transfer goes through a Delaware FFL you should be good to go. Since you are allowed to ship to a FFL in another state, I don't know of any reason you can't take it yourself.

Tried this once coming in to NJ. A friend from PA wanted to sell me a handgun. I had a permit and called my local FFL/range and they wouldn't do it, said it wasn't legal. I was pretty sure they were mistaken but I don't have the patience to argue with people to take my money (transfer fee).

And some FFLs in PA don't know that as a two-state-resident I can buy firearms (any type) in PA. So, they lose my business.

Technically the transfer is from you to the FFL, and from the FFL to the buyer. If that was illegal, there would be no interstate commerce in used firearms.

1 hour ago, brucin said:

Tried this once coming in to NJ. A friend from PA wanted to sell me a handgun. I had a permit and called my local FFL/range and they wouldn't do it, said it wasn't legal. I was pretty sure they were mistaken but I don't have the patience to argue with people to take my money (transfer fee).

Just asking, Wouldn't it be illegal for him to enter NJ with a firearm even if he was bringing it to a FFL.

• FacePalm 1

2 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Just asking, Wouldn't it be illegal for him to enter NJ with a firearm even if he was bringing it to a FFL.

I don't think so as NJ law states that an FFL is an exempt location for transport. I would defer to the expertise of Smokin 50, I could be wrong but he may agree.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

To or from a FFL for sale or purchase is legal in NJ.

It's a shame the FFL I was dealing with didn't know this. I lost out on a really good deal. Checked in to having it shipped but that turned it into a mediocre deal so I let it go.

11 hours ago, 45Doll said:

And some FFLs in PA don't know that as a two-state-resident I can buy firearms (any type) in PA. So, they lose my business.

Technically the transfer is from you to the FFL, and from the FFL to the buyer. If that was illegal, there would be no interstate commerce in used firearms.

Some may not know, others do.  @FreedomSportsLLC here can, but it is more paperwork that you need to bring.  For many dealers it is a risk.  I will let Todd answer this.  For suppressors... less issues. =)  It is up to the dealers to determine what level of risk they want to bring on themselves. 

I didn't think I needed a new thread for this, -- so will put it here, -- unless someone says different? Please let me know otherwise. 

-- On the above, I'll quickly comment that I found the discussion interesting, and find so many friends and family in neighboring States PA/NY/CT, confused and even afraid to come to NJ and go to a Range-day, due to what "someone" said to them. 

Anyway, -- my question is:
What experience has anyone here had directly with selling "on line"; meaning, a "Listing Sight" of "For Sale", (and need a reference for a good experience), or an "Auction" sight (and need a reference for a good experience). 

Comment that may help get folks who may know engaged:
I have no problem with anyone commenting the FFL laws, scenarios and etc. -- do included the obvious reminders if feel it is useful here for all concerned. No I'm not "new", but, I'd be really ignorant not the read/listen to anyone who may be trying to assist, but not guessing, -- that would not be helpful. 

I am "aware" of/about, but not an attorney, concerning "Collectors and Relics" (C&R's), and even "Antiques". However imo, -- if it can fire or be made to fire in todays world, I would really just rather pay an FFL his $20 - 35 bucks and not worry about it. 

I understand some sites,  (Auction Sights), charge Premiums on both sides of the transaction, and charge other fees as well; however, and any functional review or warning regarding stuff like that, -- feel free to write a book here, or PM/Email me direct if more appropriate, -- if you care to. I will read it and thank you for it, -- if facts, not just opinion alone, or "I heard...". 

-- *Thank you all in advance and appreciate any latitude if "doing this wrong here" -- not my intent, just let me know. 

A PS: 
  -- I'll add here then, knowing the, -- "what's it worth" question can be a useless question, anywhere. However, after reading 20 - 30 hours of world history wrapped around some of the stuff I've engaged lately, let me throw that in, -- places to find out I may do my own research. It's not like one can put this stuff up on Ebay with a too high Reserve to get a "feel". 

One e.g. a https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_417028  -- I may be inheriting back, and not a collector of even stuff that can't be fired to put on the wall. But, don't want to 1) rip anyone off, or 2) be ripped off either. 

This other example I am speaking of, has what Dad called "Egyptian" writing carved/engraved in it, -- now told possibly is Ethiopian and likely used there, -- not a closet classic someone saved for future generations to enjoy. I see one "For Sale" example that has been reduced down from a start price of $2700 from a dealer in Florida.

-- * Again, thank you, and sorry if initially to long, just trying to make sense of what I want and why to whom may know and take the time to provide advise. 

@jbendix

1. Reread what you posted. Most is hard to make sense with mispelled/wrong words.

2. If I interpreted it right, your looking for information on how to sell your items.

3. Join GunBroker and search past auctions for your items going value.

4. Sell them there to reach millions of people, or on NJGF to target hundreds.