Armvel

Where to buy cheap ammo?

I am sure this topic has come up in another thread but I can't seem to find it. 

So far my local stores (near Cherry Hill) seem rather pricey for 9mm of any kind. I am thinking of guying online, e.g. Luckygunner. So wondering if anyone has a suggestions. 

TargetSportsUSA. If you buy by the case shipping is free and under normal circumstances arrives the next day in New Jersey.

If you join Prime Ammo you can buy any amount at around 8% off as often as you like and shipping is always free.

• Agree 2

I have bought from a bunch of different places.   Cabelas, sportsman's guide, aimsurplus, midwayusa, brownells.

I usually end up buying from Natchezss.  You just have to watch for their shipping deals.

I've also bought ammo on here from other members.  If nothing else, you don't pay shipping and taxes.

9 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I have bought from a bunch of different places.   Cabelas, sportsman's guide, aimsurplus, midwayusa, brownells.

I usually end up buying from Natchezss.  You just have to watch for their shipping deals.

I've also bought ammo on here from other members.  If nothing else, you don't pay shipping and taxes.

I guess in a nut shell, no one buys ammo from the local shops, but rather online. 

6 minutes ago, Armvel said:

I guess in a nut shell, no one buys ammo from the local shops, but rather online. 

I have bought almost all of my shotgun ammo at local shops and I was buying a LOT of it when I was shooting clays and trap all the time.

I will often pick up a box here or there but when I'm buying 500+ at a time, it's all online.   No one can compete.  shrug.

That said, I just bought over 5k rounds of ammo in various calibers from a guy on here yesterday.   He was selling, I was buying and it was a price I couldn't refuse.

1 minute ago, Malsua said:

I have bought almost all of my shotgun ammo at local shops and I was buying a LOT of it when I was shooting clays and trap all the time.

I will often pick up a box here or there but when I'm buying 500+ at a time, it's all online.   No one can compete.  shrug.

That said, I just bought over 5k rounds of ammo in various calibers from a guy on here yesterday.   He was selling, I was buying and it was a price I couldn't refuse.

well I am in the market for 9mm and 12 gauge  :-) 

NJ Jim is selling 9mm.  He's up in Ewing, bit of a hike from Cherry Hill, but a good deal.  I met him at CJRPC some years back.  Good dude.

I get down to the Inlaws in Cherry Hill every few months.  I have a ton of slugs if you're interested.   Cheap ;)

Flats of 12ga used to be cheap at Dicks.   Not sure they even sell ammo any longer.  Still, find a local vendor selling by the case.  It's so heavy, it's not worth it to ship.

Edit: Jim has just .223 sorry.  I thought some it was 9mm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Armvel said:

Depends on how much you shoot and how much you want to buy.

If you only shoot 100 rounds every other month then it doesn't really matter where you get it.

If you can afford to put out a couple hundred dollars and buy in bulk you'll save a lot in the long run.

13 hours ago, bennj said:

Targetsportsusa and sgammo, but don't tell anyone.

I won't :-)

12 hours ago, Malsua said:

NJ Jim is selling 9mm.  He's up in Ewing, bit of a hike from Cherry Hill, but a good deal.  I met him at CJRPC some years back.  Good dude.

I get down to the Inlaws in Cherry Hill every few months.  I have a ton of slugs if you're interested.   Cheap ;)

Flats of 12ga used to be cheap at Dicks.   Not sure they even sell ammo any longer.  Still, find a local vendor selling by the case.  It's so heavy, it's not worth it to ship.

Edit: Jim has just .223 sorry.  I thought some it was 9mm

Slugs are good, let me know when you are in the area. I'll buy you a drink as well :-)

LAX has always been good for me. They have shipping deals too. And bulk stuff usually comes in ammo cans to boot. Prolly bought a few 1000 rounds from there before I started reloading. Also customer service is great. Got a squib load from them once in all that time. Wrote and told them. They paid return shipping on the rest of the ammo from that lot. Sent out a whole new lot. And paid about $100 too send my budget 1911 to a local Smith who ended up cleaning,removing stuck pill , polishing feed ramp and testing. The ammo was a lot of 500 rounds 45 acp and I was prolly halfway through it. So all in all pretty happy with them. 

I cast another vote for www.TargetSportsUSA.com. I use their membership discount which also gets you free shipping on ALL orders, not just the bulk orders.  Another one I used to go to was www.BulkAmmo.com. They seemed to have good deals on ammo that included ammo cans.

3 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

Whats the scoop on the slugs??

My Step father, who has passed on, owned a gun shop that was aimed mostly at hunters, rather than shooters.  He had a metric shit ton of shotgun ammo, a lot of which was slugs.  I've sold off a bunch of it, I still have some of it.   It's mostly Brenneke slugs although there are a handful of Sabots. I'm hanging on to the sabots since I have a rifled barrel for one of my shotguns.

I've got to gather it all up and get some idea of what I have.  It's seriously just a bunch of different stuff.   Great if you're outfitting a hog hunting party or your basic bug hunt, not so great if you're trying to keep things organized.

25 minutes ago, W2MC said:

This is a great tool for locating or comparing prices. Just make sure you pay attention to (and adjust if necessary) the search parameters to represent what you're looking for. Steel vs. brass case, new vs. remanufactured etc. Also be sure to factor in the shipping costs. Ammo Seek doesn't give you exact shipping costs, but they do indicate a comparative range.

For example Carolina Munitions shows S&B 9mm at 14 cents/round. But with shipping to NJ that climbs to 17.7, which is almost identical to TargetSportsUSA for the same product with 'free' shipping.

I also note that TSUSA doesn't even appear on the first search page because they are a shade above 17 cents around on all products. Shipping matters.

15 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Ammo is  pretty cheap these days,  So stack that sh!t deep.  

When the rats get back in power the price of everything gun related will sky rocket back to the jobama era.

Unfortunately this is a good point.

I always get some ammo on Black Friday and look for sellers online who are getting rid of excess just so I have some on hand.

I reload, so I have LOTS of powder, primers, and bullets stashed away for the rainy days when they come back.

8 hours ago, Malsua said:

My Step father, who has passed on, owned a gun shop that was aimed mostly at hunters, rather than shooters.  He had a metric shit ton of shotgun ammo, a lot of which was slugs.  I've sold off a bunch of it, I still have some of it.   It's mostly Brenneke slugs although there are a handful of Sabots. I'm hanging on to the sabots since I have a rifled barrel for one of my shotguns.

I've got to gather it all up and get some idea of what I have.  It's seriously just a bunch of different stuff.   Great if you're outfitting a hog hunting party or your basic bug hunt, not so great if you're trying to keep things organized.

If you were close by, id pick up some of the Brenneke style slugs just for the hell of it and to have 'just in case'..  But i hunt with Sabots; particularly remington copper solids.. always on the look out for them at a good price! very pricey when im low and need to grab a couple boxes at the nearest store..

With the shortages going on now I found some decent prices still going at LAX. Now I just have to wait for it to come in.