Underdog

What is your favorite handgun to acquire for the New Year?

For the New Year this is my favorite new handgun to purchase!  I love S&W M&Ps's versatility and this little guy is on my resolution list with its perfect size and handling and it's ability to use 12, 15, and 17 round mags with the grip sleeves (and the statist 10-round mag  versions as well).  The New 2.0 9C Sub-compact is pretty sweet!

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/smith-wesson-announces-the-new-mp-m2-0-121-subcompact-pistol/

It shares the 3.6" barrel of the newer 2 .0 Compact of that size barrel instead of the 3 .5" barrel length of the older 9C.  Not sure which length I prefer with a  tenth of an inch difference  The balance  on the older 3.5" 9C with 2.0 Compact 15 round mags (G19 length) is almost perfect so the older 9C still rocks.  If you want one you better buy while still available.  However the grippiness and updated trigger on the newer 2.0 subcompact would give it and it's 3.6" barrel the nod.   The older 9C subcompact without the extra 2.0 metal support and slight slide shape difference and the shorter barrel doesn't feel subjectively quite as bulky in the hand as the awesome 2.0 compact models which also feel a little bulkier than say a Glock 19 but share it's equivalent size (the 4" model M&P to be exact).  Not too bulky, though, and quite pleasantly manageable, these sub-compact models are ultra versatile and in the sweet spot in size between a G19 and G26 and come with full metal sights and leave Glocks well behind in almost every way, hinged trigger and fish scales nonetheless.  They are almost perfect and give a little advantage over the recently released 3.6" Compact by allowing a shorter more conceivable grip but most would probably prefer the compact length even though some may not want to use those sleeves.  In that case the 3.6" Compact shines.  I prefer the compact 15 rounders over the 12 , but would choose the additional versatility.  The 12s though manageable leave the pistol a little too-heavy and awkward.   2.0 Subcompact all the way, but For me, though, again there is still a place for the older 3.5" version, and in particular with appendix carry, allowing for a shorter barrel and for a variety of grip extenders (such as the awesome yet poorly colored Hyve grip extender) to get a comfortable purchase and still be very concealable...  And that grippy texture next to skin might not be a positive for some, leaving the older one a more viable.  I still want a newer 2.0 Subcompact, though, as it is an improvement and easy to look at and the standard trigger is nice.

Kudos, Smith, on your expanding versatility.  The 9mm  EZ version of the Shield also shows Smith continuing to hit home runs in providing options, just as the 4" performance center Shield and the new 2 .0 double-stack flavors surely will find their place.

Let's start the year off right with a 2.0 Subcompact in 9mms and a few extra compact mags (perfect size) and sleeves and toss in a full-size mag and sleeve  and sub-compact mag for good measure (and depending on your wardrobe, body type, etc.) You would be all set with a nimble and ergonomic handgun!  Smith ergonomics is the best!  Some other brands offer more capacity and are a little smaller,  but not as shootable and the additional rounds are moot in NJ, anyway.  And S&W has the best pricing for its quality.

Happy New Year!  Make your reolution, now, and get whichever S&W M&P  will work for you, but be careful if you are a Glock fanboy.

7 hours ago, Underdog said:

For the New Year this is my favorite new handgun!  I love S&W's versatility and this little guy is on my resolution list with its perfect size and handling and it's ability to use 12, 15, and 17 round mags with the grip sleeves (and the statist 10-round mag  versions as well).  The New 2.0 9C Sub-compact is pretty sweet!

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/smith-wesson-announces-the-new-mp-m2-0-121-subcompact-pistol/

It shares the 3.6" barrel of the newer 2 .0 Compact of that size barrel instead of the 3 .5" barrel length of the older 9C.  Not sure which length I prefer with a  tenth of an inch difference  The balance  on the older 3.5" 9C with 2.0 Compact 15 round mags (G19 length) is almost perfect so the older 9C still rocks.  If you want one you better buy while still available.  However the grippiness and updated trigger on the newer 2.0 subcompact would give it and it's 3.6" barrel the nod.   The older 9C subcompact without the extra 2.0 metal support and slight slide shape difference and the shorter barrel doesn't feel subjectively quite as bulky in the hand as the awesome 2.0 compact models which also feel a little bulkier than say a Glock 19 but share it's equivalent size (the 4" model M&P to be exact).  Not too bulky, though, and quite pleasantly manageable, these sub-compact models are ultra versatile and in the sweet spot in size between a G19 and G26 and come with full metal sights and leave Glocks well behind in almost every way, hinged trigger and fish scales nonetheless.  They are almost perfect and give a little advantage over the recently released 3.6" Compact by allowing a shorter more conceivable grip but most would probably prefer the compact length even though some may not want to use those sleeves.  In that case the 3.6" Compact shines.  I prefer the compact 15 rounders over the 12 , but would choose the additional versatility.  The 12s though manageable leave the pistol a little too-heavy and awkward.   2.0 Subcompact all the way, but For me, though, again there is still a place for the older 3.5" version, and in particular with appendix carry, allowing for a shorter barrel and for a variety of grip extenders (such as the awesome yet poorly colored Hyve grip extender) to get a comfortable purchase and still be very concealable...  And that grippy texture next to skin might not be a positive for some, leaving the older one a more viable.  I still want a newer 2.0 Subcompact, though, as it is an improvement and easy to look at and the standard trigger is nice.

Kudos, Smith, on your expanding versatility.  The 9mm  EZ version of the Shield also shows Smith continuing to hit home runs in providing options, just as the 4" performance center Shield and the new 2 .0 double-stack flavors surely will find their place.

Let's start the year off right with a 2.0 Subcompact in 9mms and a few extra compact mags (perfect size) and sleeves and toss in a full-size mag and sleeve  and sub-compact mag for good measure (and depending on your wardrobe, body type, etc.) You would be all set with a nimble and ergonomic handgun!  Smith ergonomics is the best!  Some other brands offer more capacity and are a little smaller,  but not as shootable and the additional rounds are moot in NJ, anyway.  And S&W has the best pricing for its quality.

Happy New Year!  Make your reolution, now, and get whichever S&W M&P  will work for you, but be careful if you are a Glock fanboy.

Do the old M&P 9c mags fit in the new subcompact?

Yes, the 12 rounders fit.  And, more importantly, the 15 rounders fit with the x-grips sleeves made for them.   Those sleeves are different than the full-size sleeves.   

The Hyve grip that is +3 will also work with the 2.0 mag block installed on the standard 12-round 9c mag giving you a net of 10.   It is nice because it mimics the 15-round 2.0 compact mags but is ever so slightly shorter in the rear of grip but gives a better purchase than the mag grip  extenders.  Slightly easier to conceal than the 2.0 mags and yet still a G19-sized grip.  

7 hours ago, tony357 said:

Mine will always be the 1911,  with that said I am going to pimp out my 22/45 this winter. 

I don’t have a 1911 and would love a couple some day, including one in 9mm.  I had a Sig 1911-22 at one time and liked it.  Would also like a Smith 625.  Always wanted a Glock 31, but don’t stock 45 ACP anymore.  

i love my 22/45 Lite and was considering a Target model. 

13 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Beretta 

True love?  This would be my choice in a Beretta...  Like that G Mode.  Brigadier toughness, and that hammer rocks!  This is a CZ 75B killer with its texturing and modified mag well and those grips are awesome.  This would be my  choice in a SA/DA and NOT a plastic fantastic.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Current favorite is my ZEV OZ-9 build.  Should get even more favoriter once the new slide shows up for it and I get it all painted and pimped.  

Otherwise, I have trimmed my meager assortment of pistols down to things I really do like and will use without reservation.  Which means that my favorite is generally what I'm shooting that day.  

• Like 1

Not sure I am buying another pistol while in Jersey.

But if that weren't the case, and I had money to spend, there are 4 pistols which I have had on my mind most often when wanting something new.

S&W model 41

FN Five-seveN

SIG P220 Elite

Glock 20 Gen 4

There are others I would like too - but after obtaining those.