DirtyDigz

Handgun transportation question - NJ to FL

Asking for friend of a friend of a friend...

Situation - 2 older guys, long time friends.  Guy 1 moved from NJ to FL, left 2 handguns in his NJ home. Guy 2 is still in NJ, has access to Guy 1's NJ home.

Guy 1 has decided to sell his NJ home, is not planning to come back to NJ. Guy 2 offered to handle the house sale for him remotely, including driving Guy 1's NJ car with Guy 1's  handguns in the trunk down from NJ to FL (Yes, I know, illegal transfer in NJ, I didn't get the chance to advise on this beforehand).

Guy 2 recently had a mild stroke.  He can drive for half an hour or so, but he can't handle a multi-hour interstate trip.  Guy 2 is considering getting a car transport service to move Guy 1's NJ car down to FL, with the handguns in the trunk.  I'm advising that's a very bad idea - the car transporter will have lots of opportunities to rummage through the car in transit if they are so inclined.

Are there any other legal options for Guy 2 to get Guy 1's handguns to FL?  I know handgun shipments require an overnight service (FedEx/UPS), but Guy 2 isn't the owner of the handguns - is that an obstacle to Guy 2 shipping the handguns to FL?  If Guy 2 is able to ship the handguns out of NJ, must they be delivered to a FL FFL who will then transfer to Guy 1?

If overnight shipping isn't a legal option, what if Guy 2 involves a NJ FFL to do the shipment?  Does that improve anything?  Any other options for this situation?

To me, the sticky point is guy #2 does not own the handguns so he can't legally possess them in any form.  Not being the owner, what FFL is going to take possession to ship to guy #1.  If they were shipped a Florida FFL, Guy #1 would have to prove legal ownership.  What FFL in the PRNJ is going to take possession of any gun from a person who is not the owner for any purpose?

I would place them in a steel box, packed very securely and label the box "car parts",  ship them using HIS name and old address as the sender,  requiring a signature for delivery and pray! I am in no way suggesting that is a great option but I can't think of ANY legal way to accomplish this deed!

The fact that you posted this a day ago with no response from any of our member FFLs speaks volumes!

• Agree 1