njpilot

If You’ve Always Wanted a Colt Python...

I am anxiously waiting for this one... It certainly will have a good amount of hype but I highly doubt it will compare to the original.

The new Cobra and King Cobra are nowhere near the fit and finish and shooting experience of the originals.

This new Python, while it may be a more solid and reliable gun, is not going to have that hand finished touch of the original Python, known for its amazing Single Action trigger.  The DA is not great.

I do not have an early release sample from Colt but will try to get one so we can do a new vs old.

I am sure it will be a nice gun, just kind of irritated that they will money grab and call it a Python.  But hey, who knows... maybe Third time is the charm.

I seriously doubt the original pythons are going to drop in price much.

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

$3,000 to $4,000 for an original?!?!? $125 back in the day when they were new! Holy Cow!!!!!!

https://gundigest.com/gun-collecting/colt-python-the-cadillac-of-revolvers

So this would be an investment; if you can find one?

image.png.157559e00daea7d0f583106c9c9e6ff0.png

No... highly doubt it. These will settle out around $1,100 to $1,200 once live.  These are not the same as the original Pythons.

• Informative 1

Colt sucks.  They abandoned the civilian market and bent the knee for government contracts.  Now that they are no longer on the government tit and their civilian sales tanked they release old guns to gin up revenue.   Fuck them

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, Maksim said:

I am anxiously waiting for this one... It certainly will have a good amount of hype but I highly doubt it will compare to the original.

The new Cobra and King Cobra are nowhere near the fit and finish and shooting experience of the originals.

This new Python, while it may be a more solid and reliable gun, is not going to have that hand finished touch of the original Python, known for its amazing Single Action trigger.  The DA is not great.

I do not have an early release sample from Colt but will try to get one so we can do a new vs old.

I am sure it will be a nice gun, just kind of irritated that they will money grab and call it a Python.  But hey, who knows... maybe Third time is the charm.

I seriously doubt the original pythons are going to drop in price much.

No... highly doubt it. These will settle out around $1,100 to $1,200 once live.  These are not the same as the original Pythons.

They are better by a wide margin. Great thread on arfcom on these

Im absolutely buying

27 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

They are better by a wide margin. Great thread on arfcom on these

Im absolutely buying

better in terms of design and components?  Surely... as good fit and finish?  Doubtful... though I am hoping they prove wrong.   And that price tag?  

Again though, I collect snake guns, I don't shoot them... easier to break and no one left at Colt who can comfortably fix them. =P

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maksim said:

better in terms of design and components?  Surely... as good fit and finish?  Doubtful... though I am hoping they prove wrong.   And that price tag?  

Again though, I collect snake guns, I don't shoot them... easier to break and no one left at Colt who can comfortably fix them. =P

Ill post some links and vids of revolver guys discussing. finish is ss s not nickel or blued but not hard to get mirror shine.  New cnc maching reducing filing, fitting, etc of old.  I still want a 71 python and will buy but definitely buying a new one as soon as possible and permits en route:)

5 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

Ill post some links and vids of revolver guys discussing. finish is ss s not nickel or blued but not hard to get mirror shine.  New cnc maching reducing filing, fitting, etc of old.  I still want a 71 python and will buy but definitely buying a new one as soon as possible and permits en route:)

So that's precisely what I have seen too... like in the GT video.

Better CNC machining, stronger, better, blah blah blah... they improved the new Colts to the same levels that Ruger and Smith have done for design and reliability.

Where I feel Colts were "Colt" was precisely what they cannot do today... that awesome Royal Blue finish (EPA regs) and hand fitted parts by actual gunsmiths.

So the question is... is a Python merely what the gun looks like?

Or is a Python a Python because of what it represents, a fine revolver that was hand crafted?

To me, the Python is like a holy grail piece of revolvers and what I think of when I think of American gunsmithing.

And this is also why I feel it is a money grab to merely capitalize on the iconic name... and I can't blame them for doing it... but I can surely hold it against them.

The insult of course is the price tag.... TWICE the price of a competing GP100 or a 686?  GTFO.

If it was in the same price point, or heck, even  sub $1k.... I would gladly support it.

But $1,500... without any of the things that make a Python a Python?  No thanks.

Realistically, that is what the King Cobra was... a production version of the Python.

28 minutes ago, Maksim said:

So that's precisely what I have seen too... like in the GT video.

Better CNC machining, stronger, better, blah blah blah... they improved the new Colts to the same levels that Ruger and Smith have done for design and reliability.

Where I feel Colts were "Colt" was precisely what they cannot do today... that awesome Royal Blue finish (EPA regs) and hand fitted parts by actual gunsmiths.

So the question is... is a Python merely what the gun looks like?

Or is a Python a Python because of what it represents, a fine revolver that was hand crafted?

To me, the Python is like a holy grail piece of revolvers and what I think of when I think of American gunsmithing.

And this is also why I feel it is a money grab to merely capitalize on the iconic name... and I can't blame them for doing it... but I can surely hold it against them.

The insult of course is the price tag.... TWICE the price of a competing GP100 or a 686?  GTFO.

If it was in the same price point, or heck, even  sub $1k.... I would gladly support it.

But $1,500... without any of the things that make a Python a Python?  No thanks.

Realistically, that is what the King Cobra was... a production version of the Python.

that makes no sense, 'but $1,500... without any of the things that make a Python a Python?  No thanks.'

Pythons were never a collectors piece until Walking Dead, certainly not scarce, not a strong 357 frame, prone to breaking, terrible trigger and over engineered and these are universally agreed upon. The past decade has seen a surge in their pricing due to nothing other than popular culture i.e TV.  Read something that said that over the past 10yrs, every revolver for a main character has been a python due to the popularity of Rick Grimes. lol    It's no different than the 15-20 yrs of the 44 magnum pricing and popularity being stagnant and then Dirty Harry came along and now we know what happened there. 

Not following you on what you said here but do agree on finish and the bluing.  I am disappointed we won't get a nickel version, not a bluing guy:).  As I said, I'm going to buy a 6" 71 when I see one I want and will get this one as well.

arfcom page on the colts is now up to 14 pages with machinists etc etc opining.  It's a good read actually

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

WOW, 

I think if Colt decides to keep these in production, the older model pythons will worth nothing. 

Wanna bet?:)

39 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

WOW, 

I think if Colt decides to keep these in production, the older model pythons will worth nothing. 

That is like saying Doge keeps making the new series Charger or Challengers, the old ones will be worth nothing!

Colt can never replace the original Blue Python, so they came out with SS in an attempt to regain some market share, but just like the cobra, they will be a flash in the pan.................. jmo

32 minutes ago, 10X said:

Wanna bet?:)

If people simply wanted one for the nostalgia, well they can just buy a nicer reproduction... 

I will give a perfect example. My Remington 870 wingmaster cost me 300 bucks, its nicer than ANY Remington you can buy on a  shelf.. it's an mid 1970's model, hand fitted and smooth as butter... 

What makes this any different? Why was the new crappier model on the shelf worth 3x?

it will most certainly impact the old python market.  new unused or pristine condition will be the sought after ones but 90% of the pythons you see are not show pieces and those will suffer as now instead of paying 2k for a used shooter, you can buy a better, newer one for 1500.

absolutely will impact the market and thats even before the demographic shift

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

That is like saying Doge keeps making the new series Charger or Challengers, the old ones will be worth nothing!

Colt can never replace the original Blue Python, so they came out with SS in an attempt to regain some market share, but just like the cobra, they will be a flash in the pan.................. jmo

Some of them are worth nothing or what they were orignal(Inflation) there are certain models and years that bid high dollar because of actual reasons.. but typically, they pull no where near what those brand new high performance ones cost.

There is always a market for prestine "classics"

But even a ww1- ww2 1911 production model is cheaper than what these things get.

2 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Some of them are worth nothing or what they were orignal(Inflation) there are certain models that bid high dollar because of actual reasons.. but typically, they pull no where near what those brand new high performance ones cost.

only if you compare Apples to Oranges.

If you compare and original in mint condition, say showroom new, to a new one than the prices are very comparable.

You can't expect a shooter 1970 Python to compare to a Mint one, but the shooter 1970 Python won't be much less than one of the new ones.

51 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

OK, let me get out in front of the coming market crash for original Pythons.

I'll pay $500 for any Python in reasonable condition.   Way better than 'nothing'.  Python owners: Act fast, before I change my mind.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

If people simply wanted one for the nostalgia, well they can just buy a nicer reproduction... 

I will give a perfect example. My Remington 870 wingmaster cost me 300 bucks, its nicer than ANY Remington you can buy on a  shelf.. it's an mid 1970's model, hand fitted and smooth as butter... 

What makes this any different? Why was the new crappier model on the shelf worth 3x?

I would not put a Remington 870 Wingmaster in the same sentence as an original Python.........

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 10X said:

OK, let me get out in front of the coming market crash for original Pythons.

I'll pay $500 for any Python in reasonable condition.   Way better than 'nothing'.  Python owners: Act fast, before I change my mind.

lol, if you lost 3/4 of an investment you might feel different about "nothing"

2 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

If you compare and original in mint condition, say showroom new, to a new one than the prices are very comparable.

You can't expect a shooter 1970 Python to compare to a Mint one, but the shooter 1970 Python won't be much less than one of the new ones.

I agree for the most part but my only caveat is the the shooter old python may ...MAY...be less depending on demand for the new one.  Even if it's the same ballpark, which very well may be the case, that is at least 25-35% off of where they have been selling. 

3 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

So let's compare apples to apples... 

I'm not saying the market for all pythons will crash... 

Of course there will be years and models that are most rare and collectable... this idea that they will all be worth 2k+ is a joke