njpilot

If You’ve Always Wanted a Colt Python...

3 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

So let's compare apples to apples... 

I'm not saying the market for all pythons will crash... 

Of course there will be years and models that are most rare and collectable... this idea that they will all be worth 2k+ is a joke

Agreed, never said ALL Pythons are worth north of 2k, but you said "if Colt keeps these in production, the older one will be worth nothing" that just isn't true.......

• Agree 1

Difference to me is that if I spent $3000 on a vintage Python I would be less likely to use it a lot due to the investment and wanting to keep it pristine.  this one I would most likely take out more often. Like a vintage car doesn't always go out.

2 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Agreed, never said ALL Pythons are worth north of 2k, but you said "if Colt keeps these in production, the older one will be worth nothing" that just isn't true.......

I didnt intend for it to be taken so literal. I never really understood the market value of a "basic" python. Other then they were all that was available. For a majority of them, their value was in being "discontinued "

I think they have increased in value due to several reasons, one being how well made they were, and also that they were discontinued. That being said - I do not foresee the resale price of a New SS Python ever coming close to the resale price of a NOS / un-fired original SS Python. Again, jmo

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Oh I sorry...its not a smith...colt snakes....so overrated...

Depends on the model and what characteristics matters to you.  The finish and the single action trigger pull on the Python are unequalled.  Personally, I think the aesthetics are as well.  And, of course, the cylinder rotates in the correct direction.  

Smiths generally have a better double action pull and a shorter hammer throw/faster lock time.  I also prefer pushing the cylinder latch on a Smith  to pulling it on a Colt.

• Haha 1

Ok,

@RUTGERS95 we can all agree that the new Python is a nice gun with a better design... IS it worth $1,500?  Doubt it... it is the new Colt after all.

As far as prices  on the originals... Pythons have shot up in price WAY before The Walking Dead... A good python was in the $1,500 to $2,000 territory... it was only recently they jumped to $3k and I agree that is nuts. (for now)

Just look at the King Cobras... the new ones are $799 all day long... the originals, $1,400 and up.

The new pythons  will sell for $1,500 for a few weeks and then they will be $1,100 to $1,200.  There is ZERO conductibility there, it is NOT an original python... just looks like one on the surface, without the actual finish or hand fitting that made the Pythons unique.  

You are never going to get a Royal Blue Python ever again.  And I doubt we will ever get a nice Nickle finished one or a Python that comes hand fitted.

So... the new Python really should be compared to any ol new production 686, GP100, etc... and at twice the price?  Eh.

Will it have an impact on the collector market of old pythons?  It may put a pause on the prices... but if anything,  it may just send the original ones even higher in price.  

Just like you want an older Smith revolver versus a new one with the Hillary lock.

20 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Difference to me is that if I spent $3000 on a vintage Python I would be less likely to use it a lot due to the investment and wanting to keep it pristine.  this one I would most likely take out more often. Like a vintage car doesn't always go out.

Correct...much like you do not buy a collector car or an exotic to be a daily driver.

I have many pristine condition WW2 rifles, and a couple of snakes... but I shot them one or twice, and they only come out on special occasions... they are certainly not daily shooters.   I merely enjoy looking at them and the history behind them.  So yeah, I suppose I just became a gun collector.

It is certainly not a secret that the original Pythons were quite weak... and it was not much of an issue when there were gunsmiths that can work on them... that is not the case anymore.

Today, the Pythons really are collectibles.

If I wanted a shooter, I would not be considering a Python.... maybe buy a used NEW Python... but the gun does not seem to be anything special besides another decent production revolver at twice the price of its competition.  

Again, no one is denying that this is a better gun... but saying that a C7 Corvette is going to make the older 60's models drop in value is kind of moronic.  

I mean... look at this....  You are NEVER getting this again.

A 6-inch barreled blue-finish Python from 1965. The original box adds to the gun’s collector interest and value.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

here is one with ken hackathorn

Good video... also keep in mind, these videos at  Gunsite... are at the Colt media event. 

But he does nail it perfectly... Original pythons look great, fantastic SA... 

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Ok,

@RUTGERS95 we can all agree that the new Python is a nice gun with a better design... IS it worth $1,500?  Doubt it... it is the new Colt after all.

As far as prices  on the originals... Pythons have shot up in price WAY before The Walking Dead... A good python was in the $1,500 to $2,000 territory... it was only recently they jumped to $3k and I agree that is nuts. (for now)

Just look at the King Cobras... the new ones are $799 all day long... the originals, $1,400 and up.

The new pythons  will sell for $1,500 for a few weeks and then they will be $1,100 to $1,200.  There is ZERO conductibility there, it is NOT an original python... just looks like one on the surface, without the actual finish or hand fitting that made the Pythons unique.  

You are never going to get a Royal Blue Python ever again.  And I doubt we will ever get a nice Nickle finished one or a Python that comes hand fitted.

So... the new Python really should be compared to any ol new production 686, GP100, etc... and at twice the price?  Eh.

Will it have an impact on the collector market of old pythons?  It may put a pause on the prices... but if anything,  it may just send the original ones even higher in price.  

Just like you want an older Smith revolver versus a new one with the Hillary lock.

nope...not even close here.  last decade has seen a greater than 100% increase in pricing due to pop culture.  Hell, only pythons are used in video games now.  There is zero practical reason for this other than already stated.  Already plenty of literature on this if you look.  we'll see in 2yrs how the market plays out but if you look at pricing, we've already seen pythons start to ceiling and come off or at least, the used ones (not the pristine, in wrapper kind). 

Cobras and Pythons are different markets, Cobras have no externality driving the price up like the pythons

Smith market is completely different, not even remotely same type of analogy really

This is one market I've been paying very close attention too for a few years and will only buy exactly what I want. 

Best part is, we'll be able to revisit this debate live:)  over beers even!!!!!

39 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Again, no one is denying that this is a better gun... but saying that a C7 Corvette is going to make the older 60's models drop in value is kind of moronic.  

I mean... look at this....  You are NEVER getting this again.

I don't want you to think i was saying that. 

And a C7 corvette would be a better car.

But it will be interesting to see how the market reacts. 

I just don't see the history or rarity in these guns to be massive collectors pieces. Hundreds are for sale at any given time.

2 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Since the Cobra is already out, and now the Python - it won't be long before Colt reintroduces the complete Snake line........

agree, they should!

you recall I hope, I'm a buyer so always show me what you get that is 'particular'   :)

Just now, JackDaWack said:

I don't want you to think i was saying that. 

And a C7 corvette would be a better car.

But it will be interesting to see how the market reacts. 

I just don't see the history or rarity in these guns to be massive collectors pieces. Hundreds are for sale at any given time.

comparing cars to this is absurd really

45 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

I don't care how much they improved it - it just isn't in the same class..........................

RSCN0532.JPG

real nice but to be honest, hard pass unless nickel.....

just kidding:p

Pythons went from sub $1k to over $1,500 before The Walking Dead... since the Walking Dead they shot up to $3k... again I agree that is too much for them but the prices are being sustained.

At this point, the Python market really IS a collectors market... and the new Python is not, which is why I am suggesting the original Pythons are not going back to "cheaper than the new ones"... even for shooters.

Keep in mind, Pythons going up is what drove all of the snake guns up in price, everything from the Python down to the Diamondback.... have you looked at the diamond back prices?

Even as Colt reintroduced the Cobra and the King Cobra, they had ZERO effect on those values... and guess what, they more than doubled... I picked up my like new King Cobra for around $750 IIRC back in the very early years of the forum... today I can get $1,500 to $2k for the gun, and a bit more at a live auction.  A Diamond back can easily be $800 to $1,500 depending on caliber and condition, guns you were able to buy for $400 just 10 years ago.  None of those guns were featured in movies either.

It is as simple as Colt stopped making them...

Even re-introduced, the first two go arounds with the New Cobra and NEW King Cobra.... no effect on the older guns... where in reality, there was less fineness.  

So sure, the trashed Python prices will come back down to reality... but your LNIB guns... are only going to get more scarce realizing that even the brand spanking new Pythons are not going to come close to the fit and finish and look of an original 70's Python.

And I do think the car comparison is quite real...

By all accounts, the new Python is a BETTER gun for a shooter... stronger frame, more reliable trigger, nicer in DA... BUT it is not going to get a collector or many to upgrade.

Seriously, a question for anyone who owns an original Python... would you trade it in for a BRAND NEW Python?

I highly doubt it. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

All things considered.....First new Python I see below 1,200.00 WILL be mine!  I don't want to collect  a Python, I want to shoot one! :)

Want to shoot a Classic Python known for their legendary SA triggers?  Or just want to shoot something that says "Python" on it? 

4 minutes ago, Vicious said:

I need a 6" blued version. I was going to look for a Trooper MKIII eventually, but this will do.

I have one like new in box, blued... super yummy... shot it twice if you want to play with.

They are out there and much more readily available.

@Alderfer Auction had a bunch two auctions ago that went for reasonable prices. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

@Maksim You heard what Ken Hackathorn thought about the new Python......Do you disregard his opinion totally?

No I agree with it completely.

The new Python is a MUCH nicer gun than the original Python as a shooter.  However, just as he said... the SA trigger is not as nice, and it does not look as nice.

To a collector, how it shoots is irrelevant.

Hence why I am saying... the new Python is by all means a nicer and better built gun (except in how it looks, fit and finish and SA trigger). 

But you also have to take what he says with a grain of salt considering they filmed it AT the Colt media event at Gunsite, where they are flown in, wined and dined... you are not exactly going to be critical of the product at that event. 

The biggest difference with the new Python vs old... much more machining, less hand fitting, different trigger to make it simpler to produce (and more consistent), stronger frame, better sight.  Trigger in Double Action is FAR better... (this was always where Colt sucked.  SA was the best... DA sucked badly).

So for a shooter, yes, this will make colts a better gun.

To a collector, this will not make one  bit of a difference.

Hope I explained it clearly.

So the question is... As a SHOOTER... is this gun twice as good as a 686 or a GP100?  No, I highly doubt it.  (and why I am working on my media requests as we speak...)

So just to add, final thought...

My issue with the new Python is the price.  As a collector, I think they are tarnishing the name, but from the business perspective, it makes PERFECT sense.

The NEW Python is $1500 MSRP... so what is it competing with?  Is it the stock S&W 686 and Ruger GP 100?  If so, I do think the new Python looks the nicest out of all three, and will probably have a nicer stock trigger versus the stock GP 100 standard and stock 686... but it is also twice the price of a 686 and almost 3x the price of a Ruger GP100.  

So what if we compare against an $800 Ruger GP 100 Match Champion, a $900 Performance Center 686?  or a $1300 Ruger Super GP100 from Ruger's Custom Shop?

As a shooter... I doubt the production Python will stand close there... while it will still be more expensive. (for the next 6 months or so).

28 minutes ago, Maksim said:

I have one like new in box, blued... super yummy... shot it twice if you want to play with.

They are out there and much more readily available.

@Alderfer Auction had a bunch two auctions ago that went for reasonable prices. 

You will be hearing from my office soon.

• Like 1

' Seriously, a question for anyone who owns an original Python... would you trade it in for a BRAND NEW Python? '

not the question, nor the debate.  it's almost a retarded question in this discussion-respectfully:80:

We have already seen python prices level off and drop, not debatable.  The question is this; with the introduction of the new python, how far will prices drop in the used market will we see?  My guess is a significant amount given used shooters were selling 2500+. 

I'm so confident, I'll wager 1k that when these are fully introduced, we see structural changes in the python that will have Fudds and current owners shaking their heads.  Options always present obstacles to inflated prices

oh someone mentioned super gp100.....ALL OVER THAT  and didn't have anymore permits when GSSC had one at 1k.  I'd definitely buy one of those and will in the future.  Not a Ruger guy that handgun felt awesome in my hand

15 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

All things considered.....First new Python I see below 1,200.00 WILL be mine!  I don't want to collect  a Python, I want to shoot one! :)

I will beat you to it;) but I'm still buying a 71 nickel when I see the right one

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1