njpilot

If You’ve Always Wanted a Colt Python...

9 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

' Seriously, a question for anyone who owns an original Python... would you trade it in for a BRAND NEW Python? '

not the question, nor the debate.  it's almost a retarded question in this discussion-respectfully:80:

We have already seen python prices level off and drop, not debatable.  The question is this; with the introduction of the new python, how far will prices drop in the used market will we see?  My guess is a significant amount given used shooters were selling 2500+. 

I'm so confident, I'll wager 1k that when these are fully introduced, we see structural changes in the python that will have Fudds and current owners shaking their heads.  Options always present obstacles to inflated prices

Came off of what prices?

$3k plus?  Those are just nuts prices that people are asking and only morons paid. =)

Vast majority of Pythons I have seen in real life auctions and actually sold in stores were around $2000 to $2500.

There were a few in the $3k plus, but those are pristine with original boxes... on Average that is where they have been and what I consider their value.

I do not see them going below $2k, and $2,500 for a nice example.  Original box adds $300.

Yes, there were, and still are people asking $3k plus for Pythons, but very few were actually sold at those levels... much like a few FFLs asking $2,500 for SVT-40s, lol.  

From Alderfer, this was from 2 years ago... live auction.. Python sold for $2,500

image.png

Prices have been like that the past few years...

The vast majority of Pythons have been in the $2,500 range for a while.  The ones that go for more are either morons who get crazy OR... a more collectible example, shorter barrel lengths, royal blue finish, etc.  In any case... a used beater python is not dropping below the price of a new production gun.  And again, if you want a shooter... DO NOT buy an original python, it's pointless... buy a new one.

The Python market, since 2000 or so, has not been a regular used gun, it has been a collector  gun.  Colt is not making THE original python anymore and will NOT be in the future.  

If anything, the introduction of the new Python will stabilize and raise prices for the original ones as people discover the gun and then go... "Wow, I wonder  how the original one was."

Most of all, I have yet to see a gun reintroduced that dropped the price on the originals.

The Colt King Cobra did not, and originals are essentially twice the price of the new production ones,  and so are the Cobras....

And somehow The new Python is going to be different?  

I suppose where we differ is that you think the market price on Python was $3k... I don't... I think it is the ridiculous asking price and most transactions in the real world were happening for less, with exceptions of flawless samples or those that have original boxes.  Keep in mind, original colt box right now is about $200 to $400. (or was the last time I checked).  I generally considered the Python value over the last 3 to 5 years to be in the $2,000 to $2,500 price range... and that is where they generally sell for at auction.

What I think will happen is the original pythons are going to be brought closer to the $2k to $2.5k range with less outliers and less fear pricing...  The new ones will sell quickly at $1,500 when they are released (and should be shipping now), though dealer price should be around $1,300 and you will be able to pick one up for around $1,350 in about a year, likely less.

In any case, the market for Pythons and revolvers is small to begin with... besides, if Colt sells 50,000 of these, they will be lucky... the ENTIRE revolver market in 2018 for domestically produced revolvers was 598k... about half of which were 22s.  Total revolvers produced chambered in 357 Magnum was 108k... most of which are Ruger and Smith.

Out there right now are AT LEAST 566k guns that were documented to be manufactured through 1985... there was still 10 years more production through 96.  So... 750k Pythons?

Colt is selling a $1,500 revolver... at a time when very few people are actually buying revolvers and the average selling price is far lower...  So realistically... they will sell 20k? (in the next 12 months)?  20k is not going to crush a market of 750k guns.

image.png

9 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

oh someone mentioned super gp100.....ALL OVER THAT  and didn't have anymore permits when GSSC had one at 1k.  I'd definitely buy one of those and will in the future.  Not a Ruger guy that handgun felt awesome in my hand

I will beat you to it;) but I'm still buying a 71 nickel when I see the right one

@JohnnyB If you want one for $1,200, I should be able to get you one.  

Link to production numbers... https://www.coltforum.com/forums/python/76319-python-annual-production-numbers-1985-a.html

• Thanks 1

Then I guess I'm glad I bought my 6" blue factory-tuned one in 1978 for $400.  My very first handgun. Took the Edelmans salesman's advice. Sometimes salespeople are right. :icon_mrgreen:

I don't have the box. And I don't care.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

Then I guess I'm glad I bought my 6" blue factory-tuned one in 1978 for $400.  My very first handgun. Took the Edelmans salesman's advice. Sometimes salespeople are right. :icon_mrgreen:

Not nice dude.... can I shoot it?:D

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Oooh,  can we do a compare with yours?  new vs original?  

• Agree 1

This is the 3rd forum where I'm seeing python discussions in the last 2 weeks.  The other 2 sites are for hunting and fishing in NJ.  Lol.  

On a NJ hunting site a guy has a stainless 6" 1983 version for sale. No box.  Asking 2k.  Tom's River area.  

I'm Not a revolver guy. Not a collector.  

BUT if it was 4" barrel I'd consider it. Then go kill a pig with it with Rosey.  Lol. 

No disrespect to anyone who does it but I could not own a gun and not shoot it.  If I'm gonna stick something in the safe to let collect dust and take out a couple times a year to fondle.... I'll just do that with a wad of cash.    Lol. 

• Agree 2

A lot of people think a Python is the best DA revolver made.  I am not one of them.

I've seen Pythons since the 70s.  I remember when they were $200.  A S&W Model 27 was $190. I saw several Pythons that has problems new from the factory.  When you consider the numbers the Python problem rate was higher than S&W Model 10s (the most manufactured revolver). 

If you have a 3 1/2" Model.27 S&W I can be suckered into a ridiculous price!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, 45Doll said:

According to the inflation calculator $400 in 1978 works out to $1577.96 today.  Looks like the new MSRP on the new Python is comparable or a little less. https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1978?amount=400

• Informative 3

3 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

According to the inflation calculator $400 in 1978 works out to $1577.96 today.  Looks like the new MSRP on the new Python is comparable or a little less. https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1978?amount=400

I thought about that after I posted, and I thought it would be comparable. Thanks for looking up the math.

And now I have to think most of the handguns I bought in the last five years were a bargain!

ok so a year ago, this is 3k

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851044952

same here but slightly cheaper, probably 2700ish 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851045625

blued model

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851127557

All of these are prime examples of the type of python that will get eaten up in the new rush to buy the new python.  As more people find out about the Colt's new offering, the more the market will settle off of these pricing.  As someone who has cash buring a hole in his pocket for a mint 71 nickel, I'd not give you 1500 for either of the 3 above and would spend more than that on a new one.  I'm not alone here

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

This is the 3rd forum where I'm seeing python discussions in the last 2 weeks.  The other 2 sites are for hunting and fishing in NJ.  Lol.  

On a NJ hunting site a guy has a stainless 6" 1983 version for sale. No box.  Asking 2k.  Tom's River area.  

I'm Not a revolver guy. Not a collector.  

BUT if it was 4" barrel I'd consider it. Then go kill a pig with it with Rosey.  Lol. 

No disrespect to anyone who does it but I could not own a gun and not shoot it.  If I'm gonna stick something in the safe to let collect dust and take out a couple times a year to fondle.... I'll just do that with a wad of cash.    Lol. 

see below...

14 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

More than one post has indicated .....'don't buy and original.python for a shooter...'

:facepalm:

For that matter why buy one at all.....overrated schrott....genius of marketing....

..you may continue.....  :icon_e_smile:

I think once you get past 10 guns or so... you will have guns that you buy and don't really shoot.  What I mean is that you buy them, shoot them once or twice, then they go in the safe and just get looked at.

I.e. buying an original Python for a regular range toy is kinda silly... buy a new one for that.  For me, the look and feel of the original Pythons is where its at.

8 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

ok so a year ago, this is 3k

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851044952

same here but slightly cheaper, probably 2700ish 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851045625

blued model

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851127557

All of these are prime examples of the type of python that will get eaten up in the new rush to buy the new python.  As more people find out about the Colt's new offering, the more the market will settle off of these pricing.  As someone who has cash buring a hole in his pocket for a mint 71 nickel, I'd not give you 1500 for either of the 3 above and would spend more than that on a new one.  I'm not alone here

A year ago you had some stupid high prices that maybe some would pay... 

The Blued gun is gorgeous and $2k is a steal for it...

The first one, would not be $3k... unless you know someone who would pay $3k for a gun that has pitting on the front barrel... those guns at real life auctions, in that condition were $2k tops.

The second one, is just blah... wow... Even $2k may be high for it... anyone who was paying $2.7k for that is just speculating and an idiot.  That is the worst condition Python I have seen come up for market lately.  

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

see below...

I think once you get past 10 guns or so... you will have guns that you buy and don't really shoot.  What I mean is that you buy them, shoot them once or twice, then they go in the safe and just get looked at.

I.e. buying an original Python for a regular range toy is kinda silly... buy a new one for that.  For me, the look and feel of the original Pythons is where its at.

A year ago you had some stupid high prices that maybe some would pay... 

The Blued gun is gorgeous and $2k is a steal for it...

The first one, would not be $3k... unless you know someone who would pay $3k for a gun that has pitting on the front barrel... those guns at real life auctions, in that condition were $2k tops.

The second one, is just blah... wow... Even $2k may be high for it... anyone who was paying $2.7k for that is just speculating and an idiot.  That is the worst condition Python I have seen come up for market lately.  

I really don't think you know this market anywhere near what you think you do, respectfully.  There is no steal, these are where they are pricing and it's not uncommon.  We've seen 85%-95% Pythons going for 3k plus and now, we are seeing them closer to 2k often.  We'll see these fall further still.  Higher priced ones are sitting and being relisted and often, starting lower prices. 

1 minute ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I really don't think you know this market anywhere near what you think you do, respectfully.  There is no steal, these are where they are pricing and it's not uncommon.  We've seen 85%-95% Pythons going for 3k plus and now, we are seeing them closer to 2k often.  We'll see these fall further still.  Higher priced ones are sitting and being relisted and often, starting lower prices. 

Oh, not a problem... again, I am focusing on live auctions and retail... I do not watch Gunbroker prices... So even if 85% were going for $3k on GB... I call them idiots... when you can get those guns for $2k elsewhere.

Just now, Maksim said:

Oh, not a problem... again, I am focusing on live auctions and retail... I do not watch Gunbroker prices... So even if 85% were going for $3k on GB... I call them idiots... when you can get those guns for $2k elsewhere.

agree, I was callign them idiots for a few years...lol

just remember, the more the new Colt marketing gets out, the greater the divergence we'll see between blued mint and non mint models.  As it should be really.  Nickel will command due to 'pretty' factor but the money will be in mint blued.  the rest, no point in spending 2k+ to shoot it.  mkt will play itself out. 

sucks for me, I could see the mint models pressing higher although the rate of climb will certainly slow

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RUTGERS95 said:

agree, I was callign them idiots for a few years...lol

just remember, the more the new Colt marketing gets out, the greater the divergence we'll see between blued mint and non mint models.  As it should be really.  Nickel will command due to 'pretty' factor but the money will be in mint blued.  the rest, no point in spending 2k+ to shoot it.  mkt will play itself out. 

sucks for me, I could see the mint models pressing higher although the rate of climb will certainly slow

Glad we are on the same page.

And this is what I meant by... real world at dealers and live auctions, there was not that much of a jump... but do see that some folks were asking more than $3k which is nuts.

$2k to $2.5k is where most I saw transact at... and most were really nice shape.

Also interesting... the ones you linked, not original boxes... though the Colt blue box is worth about $100, the original cardboard boxes is where it's at.  

Personally, between the Nickle and Blued... Royal Blue is what I want...

Just now, Maksim said:

Glad we are on the same page.

And this is what I meant by... real world at dealers and live auctions, there was not that much of a jump... but do see that some folks were asking more than $3k which is nuts.

$2k to $2.5k is where most I saw transact at... and most were really nice shape.

Also interesting... the ones you linked, not original boxes... though the Colt blue box is worth about $100, the original cardboard boxes is where it's at.  

Personally, between the Nickle and Blued... Royal Blue is what I want...

I hear you and I see the viewpoint.  Unfortunately, gunbroker has become a bellweather on pricing due to it's reach despite it's over fking priced stuff!  lol

that said, I'll reiterate if anyone knows, has, etc etc, I'M A BUY OF NICKEL MINT 71 PYTHON WHETHER 4 OR 6":):):):)

On 1/2/2020 at 8:26 PM, Ray Ray said:

Colt sucks.  They abandoned the civilian market and bent the knee for government contracts.  Now that they are no longer on the government tit and their civilian sales tanked they release old guns to gin up revenue.   Fuck them

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

It would appear that colt has had some problems with the crowns on some Pythons?

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/python/371445-colt-discovered-muzzle-crown-problem-new-pythons-has-fixed-production.html

"We have since implemented strict Quality inspections" 

Kinda Says a lot right there...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, W2MC said:

They acknowledged and fixed the problem. 

That says a whole lot.......

Actually it does! It says that though Colt is trying to bring back the glory days of their revolver, they overlooked something that would not have happened during the original days of Python Glory...........

10 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Actually it does! It says that though Colt is trying to bring back the glory days of CASH-IN on their revolver, they overlooked something that would not have happened during the original days of Python Glory...........

I fixed it for you.....

;)

I have no issues with them cashing in, it's business,  Most companies do that have a nostalgic brand, example

Todays challenger, camero, mustang 

Yesteryear's Hemi's, SS, Shelby

Today's cars will never be the value of those cars with the big motors, but still very popular today's as daily drivers.

if you had a big Hemi challenger would you drive it everyday, but you would today's car.

You as the buyer decide if you want vintage or modern, and use it or not.

4 hours ago, W2MC said:

They acknowledged and fixed the problem. 

That says a whole lot.......

They didn't have much of a choice, really. Who was going to buy one if they all came from the factory with defects in the finish. To me, it's just a bit of insight into the corners being cut or attempted. While i expect they fixed the issue with the polishing jig... i doubt they will continue to inspect each one before leaving for overall finish. 

27 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

They didn't have much of a choice, really. Who was going to buy one if they all came from the factory with defects in the finish. To me, it's just a bit of insight into the corners being cut or attempted. While i expect they fixed the issue with the polishing jig... i doubt they will continue to inspect each one before leaving for overall finish. 

Inspect the finish when you pick it up. I might want one, though I think I'm going to need to shoot one before laying out the coin.