I'm curious to hear what training everyone is planning for this year.  I slacked off a bit last year, after taking around 80 hours of training in 2018 (not including practice), so I'm looking to pick it up again in 2020.  If anyone can offer recommendations, I would love to hear them.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:54 PM, Old Glock guy said:

I'm curious to hear what training everyone is planning for this year.  I slacked off a bit last year, after taking around 80 hours of training in 2018 (not including practice), so I'm looking to pick it up again in 2020.  If anyone can offer recommendations, I would love to hear them.

https://www.freestategunrange.com/

If you're not opposed to driving, the Free State Gun Range near White Marsh, MD.  They offer a wide variety of classes from "Introduction to" to CCW qualification classes.

• Thanks 1

While advanced classes often incorporate a lot of cool stuff, like shooting from and around vehicles, things like that, I seem to get the most out of intermediate level classes that reinforce fundamentals that one doesn't get to practice at most ranges, like shooting from cover, engaging multiple targets, shooting on the move, and such.  Wondering how others feel about that?

I'm setting a goal of 40 hours of training for this year, and I plan to hold myself accountable by posting a brief review or summary after each class.  I'm signed up for GFH Low Light (which I've taken several times before) this Friday evening, mostly because it's an important skill, it's fun, and it's something I never get to practice with live fire. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:45 PM, nondisclosure said:

Definitely interested in training but most seem to be catering to LEO/LE only.

I’ve been looking too and unfortunately found the same issue. Either it’s LEO/MIL only or the same class for us common folk is double or more the price. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 0Jeep4 said:

I’ve been looking too and unfortunately found the same issue. Either it’s LEO/MIL only or the same class for us common folk is double or more the price. 

almost as if there's a sort of "back door" ban on training for civilians, huh?

6 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

Maybe? 

Just a Jersey thing (insurance), I can find places in PA that offer to everyone.

I can understand it though. If these trainers are LEO etc, why would they want the general public to understand how to actually engage targets, run and gun, and understand tactics, isn’t that all to their advantage ?

Why give those skills to the general public? 

4 hours ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Maybe? 

Just a Jersey thing (insurance), I can find places in PA that offer to everyone.

I can understand it though. If these trainers are LEO etc, why would they want the general public to understand how to actually engage targets, run and gun, and understand tactics, isn’t that all to their advantage ?

Why give those skills to the general public? 

I would(do) worry about ANY leo that looked on responsible firearm owners that way. 

and yes. I'm trying to work out the time to check out guardian training center in pa. they look to have some good stuff. 

I think there is some Tin Foil hat with this.  As a LEO most classes I have taken most students are civilians, with the exception of a very few LE only classes.  Most cops won't/don't want to spend money on Firearms classes for a variety of reasons.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, blksheep said:

I think there is some Tin Foil hat with this.  As a LEO most classes I have taken most students are civilians, with the exception of a very few LE only classes.  Most cops won't/don't want to spend money on Firearms classes for a variety of reasons.

It might be a little tin foil hatish, I will admit to that.

I just wish I could find reasonable priced training local to central NJ. If anyone knows of anything worth while lmk. 

22 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

:facepalm:

Yes- some classes are “LE only” due to the nature of the TTPs being provided, but those are few and far between.

The two most common reason for a LE Only/closed enrollment/restricted class are:

1) The location/range doesn’t allow non-sworn folks to shoot there due to insurance/Lease reasons.

2) The class is being hosted by and being paid for by a LE agency specifically for officers. Outside of the above two reasons, in every class I have ever been to - LE participants have been outnumbered by “regular earth people” (as Pat Rogers would say).

Like Blksheep said - if instructors relied solely on cops for their livelihood, they would quickly go out of business. Far more non-cops spend their money on training than cops do.

Don’t go looking for shit that isn’t there. It isn’t helpful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ill be doing a couple of Joe's ( of Sights & Triggers) pistol, carbine and low light classes as usual. 

I want to do another long range class since I didnt get a chance to do one last year. My 6.5 has been patiently waiting to be worked again as shooting 200 at Ft Dix is a joke for it haha. Ghost Firearms Training host level 1 and 2 long range classes out in Lewistown, PA where you stretch out to 1000+ yards. 

My dad will be doing a class up at Sig Academy so Ill probably be joining him for that as well. 

9 hours ago, blksheep said:

8 hours ago, 0Jeep4 said:

It might be a little tin foil hatish, I will admit to that.

I just wish I could find reasonable priced training local to central NJ. If anyone knows of anything worth while lmk. 

i will freely admit i have my "tinfoil hat" moments. i'd like to find it in the camden county area. i sadly have a rough time being able to travel even just an hour for training.......

4 hours ago, shooter28 said:

Ill be doing a couple of Joe's ( of Sights & Triggers) pistol, carbine and low light classes as usual. 

I want to do another long range class since I didnt get a chance to do one last year. My 6.5 has been patiently waiting to be worked again as shooting 200 at Ft Dix is a joke for it haha. Ghost Firearms Training host level 1 and 2 long range classes out in Lewistown, PA where you stretch out to 1000+ yards. 

My dad will be doing a class up at Sig Academy so Ill probably be joining him for that as well. 

most of what i want is just defensive. both with teamwork, and solo. i'd give preference to solo, 'cause most like minded people live really far away.

I took Gun For Hire's Urban Shotgun 1 last night.  I have done that class many times, as had most of the others in attendance, and I always enjoy it, because it's a great review of fundamentals, it's always to good to practice basic skills, and let's face it, it's hard to not enjoy blasting away for four hours with shotguns!

I ran my new Mossberg 930 Thunder Ranch model with a Sig Romeo red dot sight (my first shotgun with an optic), and also my trusty old 590 A1 that I carry around in the back of my Jeep.  The instructors, Bob and Tony, are great, providing encouragement, but also introducing stress at times to challenge us, and providing gentle correction as needed. 

All that, and the class was only 15 minutes from my home!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I took Gun For Hire's Urban Shotgun 1 last night.  I have done that class many times, as had most of the others in attendance, and I always enjoy it, because it's a great review of fundamentals, it's always to good to practice basic skills, and let's face it, it's hard to not enjoy blasting away for four hours with shotguns!

I ran my new Mossberg 930 Thunder Ranch model with a Sig Romeo red dot sight (my first shotgun with an optic), and also my trusty old 590 A1 that I carry around in the back of my Jeep.  The instructors, Bob and Tony, are great, providing encouragement, but also introducing stress at times to challenge us, and providing gentle correction as needed. 

All that, and the class was only 15 minutes from my home!

How do you like RDS on a shotty? I’ve tried @DirtyDigz and @High Exposure but it was clays and I found it very confusing 

Loved it! It was much easier for my old eyes to pick it up, and I just put it where I wanted my rounds to go, and using Federal Flite Control 00 Buckshot, most of the holes in the target were touching.  

I haven't tried it for clays yet.  Not sure how well that would work out.

• Informative 1