SMOKIE901

Issue with my new P320 X5 Legion, Help

Before shooting my P320 Legion the first time I cleaned the internals.
During my 200 rounds of shooting on a few occasions the empty shell would get jammed in the retractor, and on some last empty magazine rounds the slide did not open.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

1st.. holy shit.. proofread what you type and take the time to type something coherent, I'm having to guess what you actually intended out of your clearly gun related but still approaching word salad in the back half post there. I'm glad to help, but there's only so much to be done without a clear description of the problem.  

So my best guess on translating your post into questions. 

1a) You are having issues with failure to eject where some spent cases are not ejecting and remaining hooked on the extractor causing a jam when it tries to feed the next round. 

or possibly 

1b)You are loading up. pulling the trigger, get a bang and the gun seems to cycle, but next time you get a click, clear the round and find a fired shell with no bang to go with it. SO you are getting failure to eject, failure to feed, and reinsertion of the spent round. 

2) you are having issues with the slide not staying open on an empty magazine. 

Both versions of #1 can be caused by a bad ejector. On 320 based guns, make sure the ejector has not been bent up or otherwise damaged. It's this doohickey circled in red in the picture. If yours doesn't look like that in some way, you probably have a problem that is going to need to involve Sig CS. 

320_ejector.jpg.31ef28ccfba80996d2545a4d90edad3c.jpg

Both versions of #1 and #2 can be caused by the gun short stroking. Possible causes of that: 

a) making contact with the slide with your thumb or any other part of your hand while shooting and thus creating drag on the slide. 

b) Failure to properly lube the gun. You said you cleaned it, you didn't say if you lubed it, but especially with the tighter lockup of the x-fives, lube matters. 

c) Light loads and strong springs. If you are shooting cheap ass 115gr bulk plinking ammo, you should probably switch to the lighter of the two springs included with the gun. 

d) A variation on a above. Your making contact with the slide release while operating the gun. The slide release mechanism would then in turn be creating drag on the slide causing short stroking if/when you push it up, and if you are pushing down, it will prevent it holding the slide open after the last round. 

e) You have somehow created mechanical interference in the travel of the slide that is not permitting full travel. Like installing both recoil springs at once. I don't think this is possible and still having the gun work at all, but hey there are some impressive members of team push it harder out there. But in general check for anything mechanical that may be interfering with the full travel of the slide. 

f) The frames are injection molded plastic. Check that there isn't some huge chunk of flashing or piece of sprue left in place by QC people in the dust cover area dragging on the slide in use (or anywhere else, but in general with polymer guns, that's the most likely spot for something like that). 

g) If you are teacupping the gun and pushing up on the mag... fucking stop that. It's horrible form and can cause jams by pushing the magazine in and causing too much drag on the slide from the top round, causingslide lock prior to the last round being fired, etc. Depending on the gun in question.  It's also possible to damage the ejector on the 320 by shoving the mag up into the gun too hard under certain circumstances. (i.e. slamming the mag in hard on a 21 round mag with aftermarket baseplates that don't prevent over insertion, but hey anything is possible if you are on team push it harder). 

If you don't know what teacupping is,  here's a helpful graphic: teacup.jpg.4e8b8be30583af102467a9a1e51d0ce8.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hold the gun tighter.  Try what feels to you like a "death grip" until you start shaking and then back off just until the point of the shakes going away.

All of what raz-o said is also possible, but if you're new enough to call the extractor the retractor then you probably don't have a proper grip on the gun and that very often causes what you're describing.  I doubt anything is wrong with the gun itself.

9 minutes ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

Hold the gun tighter.  Try what feels to you like a "death grip" until you start shaking and then back off just until the point of the shakes going away.

All of what raz-o said is also possible, but if you're new enough to call the extractor the retractor then you probably don't have a proper grip on the gun and that very often causes what you're describing.  I doubt anything is wrong with the gun itself.

Thank you for the info, and yes pretty new too owning my own gun. 

What kind of ammo are you using?

A friend at my club had similar issues with his brand new pistol but he was running handloads through it, so that was the culprit.

Some manufacturers recommend running a few boxes of 147gr ammo through the gun first to break things in, but I'm not sure about Sig...

• Informative 1

I will +1 what pewpew plates. Said. Limp wristing can lead to poor ejection. I will add to it that you can have a death grip and still have noodle arms. So apply a little muscle up to the shoulders.

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

What kind of ammo are you using?

A friend at my club had similar issues with his brand new pistol but he was running handloads through it, so that was the culprit.

Some manufacturers recommend running a few boxes of 147gr ammo through the gun first to break things in, but I'm not sure about Sig...

Using Remington 115 gr, but will try your suggestion. 

Thanks

44 minutes ago, SMOKIE901 said:

Using Remington 115 gr, but will try your suggestion. 

Thanks

I’ve got 4K + of federal 124 through my 320. Not one issue.

label your mags but also make sure you aren’t riding the slide release. 

31 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Could be ammo, other day at range used some PMC bronze 115 grain in my Beretta 92 and PX4 and both would jam and not load every 3rd or 4th round, worse with the PX4 than 92, Switched to American eagle 115 grain not one issue with either. 

Going to try some different ammo this weekend, thanks.

10 hours ago, raz-0 said:

1st.. holy shit.. proofread what you type and take the time to type something coherent, I'm having to guess what you actually intended out of your clearly gun related but still approaching word salad in the back half post there. I'm glad to help, but there's only so much to be done without a clear description of the problem.  

So my best guess on translating your post into questions. 

1a) You are having issues with failure to eject where some spent cases are not ejecting and remaining hooked on the extractor causing a jam when it tries to feed the next round. 

or possibly 

1b)You are loading up. pulling the trigger, get a bang and the gun seems to cycle, but next time you get a click, clear the round and find a fired shell with no bang to go with it. SO you are getting failure to eject, failure to feed, and reinsertion of the spent round. 

2) you are having issues with the slide not staying open on an empty magazine. 

Both versions of #1 can be caused by a bad ejector. On 320 based guns, make sure the ejector has not been bent up or otherwise damaged. It's this doohickey circled in red in the picture. If yours doesn't look like that in some way, you probably have a problem that is going to need to involve Sig CS. 

320_ejector.jpg.31ef28ccfba80996d2545a4d90edad3c.jpg

Both versions of #1 and #2 can be caused by the gun short stroking. Possible causes of that: 

a) making contact with the slide with your thumb or any other part of your hand while shooting and thus creating drag on the slide. 

b) Failure to properly lube the gun. You said you cleaned it, you didn't say if you lubed it, but especially with the tighter lockup of the x-fives, lube matters. 

c) Light loads and strong springs. If you are shooting cheap ass 115gr bulk plinking ammo, you should probably switch to the lighter of the two springs included with the gun. 

d) A variation on a above. Your making contact with the slide release while operating the gun. The slide release mechanism would then in turn be creating drag on the slide causing short stroking if/when you push it up, and if you are pushing down, it will prevent it holding the slide open after the last round. 

e) You have somehow created mechanical interference in the travel of the slide that is not permitting full travel. Like installing both recoil springs at once. I don't think this is possible and still having the gun work at all, but hey there are some impressive members of team push it harder out there. But in general check for anything mechanical that may be interfering with the full travel of the slide. 

f) The frames are injection molded plastic. Check that there isn't some huge chunk of flashing or piece of sprue left in place by QC people in the dust cover area dragging on the slide in use (or anywhere else, but in general with polymer guns, that's the most likely spot for something like that). 

g) If you are teacupping the gun and pushing up on the mag... fucking stop that. It's horrible form and can cause jams by pushing the magazine in and causing too much drag on the slide from the top round, causingslide lock prior to the last round being fired, etc. Depending on the gun in question.  It's also possible to damage the ejector on the 320 by shoving the mag up into the gun too hard under certain circumstances. (i.e. slamming the mag in hard on a 21 round mag with aftermarket baseplates that don't prevent over insertion, but hey anything is possible if you are on team push it harder). 

If you don't know what teacupping is,  here's a helpful graphic: teacup.jpg.4e8b8be30583af102467a9a1e51d0ce8.jpg

Thanks a million, I will try these tips, and try the lighter spring.

Happy New Year 

9 hours ago, SMOKIE901 said:

Thank you for the info, and yes pretty new too owning my own gun. 

Thank you, Happy New Year

Thank you all for the help, and suggestions.

Just came back from range with shooting 200 rounds with no issues.

I changed the spring out, and lubed again with using the same ammo plus another brand, and the same 5 magazines I have.

I think the back sight guide needs to be adjusted some tho.

Peace out, Happy New Year! 

• Like 1