shiberm

Smith to recrown barrel

I have an ar15 barrel that had some minor damage to the end of the barrel. I'd like to have it cut down a few inches and recrowned.

The only gunsmith I have any experience with was a guy in paterson but they couldnt even install a muzzle brake correctly,   looking for recommendations for a gunsmith in the north east that can do it at a reasonable cost.

22 hours ago, shiberm said:

was hoping there was  local

Unfortunately, not exactly a demand for such service.

How long is the barrel currently? 

who makes it?

Might it be worth it to just buy a new barrel?

If it's something you think it is worth it, then ADCO would be the place to do it. 

I didnt realize it was a big deal and thought it could be done for ~~$50  locally.

The barrel is 20" and I would like to cut it down to 18. If I cant find someone to do it at that price Ill just do it myself and take it to the range and see if accuracy is affected.

11 hours ago, shiberm said:

I didnt realize it was a big deal and thought it could be done for ~~$50  locally.

The barrel is 20" and I would like to cut it down to 18. If I cant find someone to do it at that price Ill just do it myself and take it to the range and see if accuracy is affected.

$ 50 some places charge $65 just to pin a brake. ?

13 hours ago, Zeke said:

Tier One in key port?

Tier One is in Mountianside, NJ

If the barrel is chrome lined and you cut it, it will flake off in time - FYI

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:22 PM, JackDaWack said:

Unfortunately, not exactly a demand for such service.

How long is the barrel currently? 

who makes it?

Might it be worth it to just buy a new barrel?

If it's something you think it is worth it, then ADCO would be the place to do it. 

Exactly Right!

AR barrels are cheap, and it would most likely cost you less to buy a new one than the have a smith cut & re-crown

Good Luck!

If you go through ADCO and just want a standard crown it is about $60 according to their site if you send the whole upper. 

If you can take it apart it's 30 bucks.

The shipping obviously will add up tho.

If its a good barrel it's probably worth it, but why dump money into one if it's nothing special? Most damage to a crowned barrel is most likely cosmetic anyway, thats why theyre crowned.

11 hours ago, silverado427 said:

$ 50 some places charge $65 just to pin a brake. ?

For the amount of work done to make guns compliant, it is absurd what is charged, but this is NJ. 

A standard brake job  from ADCO is 30 bucks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.